nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6480
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used"" Previous topic | Next topic
NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Mon 06-Aug-12 12:40 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""

Roswell, US

Hi Everyone,

Not sure this is really a D3100 issue so much as a memory card issue (likely corrupt), but posting here for any wisdom you all might be able to share. I was shooting today at a family outing when all of a sudden I got this error "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used. It may be damaged. Use another card". That may not be the exact text, but it was something VERY similar and I'm sure the first sentence is correct.

Anyway - another, identical SD card works just fine, but this one cannot be read any longer by the camera or any of my various SD cards readers (one built into my printer, one built into my laptop..both which can read other SD cards just find, including others that are identical in maker and specs to this one).

Tried to recover the data on it, but none of the software I downloaded can even get tot he point of recovery because none of the readers are even able to recognize the card.

Any thoughts, help, wisdom, advice?

Thanks,

Ben

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used"
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
06th Aug 2012
NenBikonian
06th Aug 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
07th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
07th Aug 2012
Skyco Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
NenBikonian
08th Aug 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Aug 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 06-Aug-12 03:28 AM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use SanDisk Image Rescue, not sure what you've tried, but it's got a pretty good recovery rate for me - high 80s percentile.

As far as the card is concerned, it's time to take it out of circulation. You can try to reformat it in the camera, but once it's failed, you don't want to take a chance on it, especially with images that are irreplaceable in any sense. Given the relative low cost of SDs on the market, just replace it at this point and chalk it up to operating costs.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Mon 06-Aug-12 02:41 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 06-Aug-12 02:41 PM by NenBikonian

Roswell, US

Thanks, Armando.

Any thoughts on what to do if nothing seems to want to recognize the card? My camera (oddly, regardless of whether the power is on or off)displays and freezes on this error. I cannot interact at all with the camera once this card is inserted. When a new one is inserted, everything returns to normal.

Same with my card readers - one (on my printer) returns a similar error and refuses to recognize the card. On my laptop, the SD reader simply never appears as a valid drive when this particular card is inserted.

I assume I have to find a device that will actually recognize the card before I attempt to use SanDisk Image Rescue to try to get the files off of it, correct?

Finally - anyone know if there's a two-button reformat options on the D3100 similar to that which exists on higher-end cams like my D300?

Thanks,
Ben

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Tue 07-Aug-12 05:15 PM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 2

McEwen, US

Sorry about the problem with your card. That pretty well stinks!

To format on the D3100, you go to the little wrench section on the main menu. I believe "format card" is the first item on the sub-menu. To my knowledge there is not a "button" option.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 07-Aug-12 05:45 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 07-Aug-12 05:47 PM by Covey22

US

Ugh - that sounds like a really nasty error. If it's freezing the camera upon start-up, that's usually an indication that it can't even read the card as being a valid format - layman's speak, it's really hosed.

Not sure what your options are to recover the images. If the card isn't readable on camera or PC, that's the first obstacle to overcome.

When it's in a PC card reader, do you at least get the option to format the card?

As for the recovery of the images:

This is at your own risk - consider formatting it in the PC (assuming it can be done) to make it a readable card again, then seeing what the recovery software can get out of it.

The only other option is to send it off *as is* to a Commercial Recovery Service and seeing what they can find.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Wed 08-Aug-12 01:34 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke Island, US

Hi Ben,

What is the brand of the card? If its a Transcend card that could be your problem. We got a Transcend (16gb "so called class 10") SD card with the D3100 we bought from Amazon last January. Before buying more Transcend cards I did a search to find out more about Transcend and what I found out was pretty awful.

One of the people blogging about their problems with that card had bought a bunch of them because he was going on "a once in a life time trip around the world". His Transcend cards started failing half way through his trip. Since he had "once in a lifetime" photos on them he paid a data recovery service big bucks to recover "most" of his photos - regular data recovery software didn't work.

Also I trust that you are reformatting your cards in the camera, letting your computer reformat can cause problems too. But from what you are saying I'm reminded of the horror stories I read from folks who had bad experiences with Transcend memory cards.

Hope this helps.

Well Wishes,

Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 08-Aug-12 03:16 PM
#6. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 5

Roswell, US

Hi,

No, it's not a Transcend card (with which I have actually had good experience in he past). It's a PNY card (whatever that is). I'm pretty sure it's a cheap, drugstore brand card. The d3100 is my wife's cam she got a couple years ago with two of these cards, both 8gb each. I've always known that I should replace them, but we don't use her camera enough to think about doing it (I use a D300, mostly, and so new SD cards aren't usually on my radar).

Thankfully, the pictures aren't of a once in a lifetime experience. They are memorable, for sure, but not critical. I'll hang onto the card to see if I can ever manage to find a way to recover the shots economically, but I'm definitely going to buy a couple of new SanDisk SD cards very soon.

Cheers,
Ben

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 09-Aug-12 06:44 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: D3100 "This Memory Card Cannot Be Used""
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Your right PNY (pronounced Penny) is a discount brand, the also make system RAM.

They are mostly sold at places such as Staples, OfficeMax and Office Depot (office supplies).

Never have felt they were reputable.

SanDisk, or Kodak , Transcend all good brands.

I would get pictures of of those PNY cards ASP, and get some SanDisk or Transcend cards and transfer to them if its even possible. OR dump the picture on to your computer for safekeeping and start new.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6480 Previous topic | Next topic