Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6479
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 lens - Help required" Previous topic | Next topic
WallyFromUk Registered since 05th Aug 2012Sun 05-Aug-12 10:43 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 lens - Help required"

GB

I recently bought the above camera, and ticked the wrong box for lenses, on an offer. I am intrested in bird photogarph and ought to have opted for the 55 - 300mm lens rather than the 55-200mm If-Ed.

Based on the principle that i may not be able to return it (Amazon) what should I do - can you recommend a teleconvertor?

I am a wally about camera and lenses

Thank you
Peter

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 06-Aug-12 04:01 AM
4612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 lens - Help required"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

It was never Nikon's intention to have the the TCs put on consumer-grade lenses. In most cases the Nikon TCs will not even mount on them. However, many folks have good luck with the Kenko(?) TCs.

It should be noted that your f/5.6 lens may not yield the image quality you are hoping for with a TC attached to it.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

WallyFromUk Registered since 05th Aug 2012Mon 06-Aug-12 09:20 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 lens - Help required"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

what may I add, do people recommend as an alternative/additional lens for the camera, if I cannt swop it. Distance of birds will be at about 25m.

Thank you

Peter

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 06-Aug-12 10:59 AM
26394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 lens - Help required"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Peter,

For birding the rule is you can never have enough focal length.
Do you have a budget in mind?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 06-Aug-12 10:54 AM
26394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 lens - Help required"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 06-Aug-12 10:56 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I would recommend contacting Amazon and explaining your situation.
While it might cost some additional shipping, they are usually good about returns and or exchanges.

As Joseph wrote above, Nikon TC's won't even mount on any of the entry level lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6479 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.