Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6460
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Service Experience" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 02-Aug-12 04:09 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Service Experience"

Springfield, US

What kind of experience have you had with Nikon's service department. My 5100 is out of warranty so I will have to pay for repairs. My problem is "soft focus" which actually seems to be due to focus being behind the point where both auto focus and the manual range finder say it is in focus. In many of the pictures, when I looked closely, there did seem to be a point of crisp focus that was behind what I was focusing on. (No, it's not operator error!)

As I see it, one of three things can happen. They can fix the problem, they can say they fixed the problem when they didn't and they can say there is no problem.

Is it worth sending back to Nikon, or should I just go out and buy a Cannon. (I keep having this recurring daydream of buying a Cannon, mounting the d5100 on a tripod, mounting the Canon on a tripod focused on the Nikon and starting a video and making a video of me puting a 308 rifle bullet throught the Nikon.)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Service Experience
cwils02 Gold Member
03rd Aug 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
04th Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
04th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
04th Aug 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
04th Aug 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
17th Aug 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
17th Aug 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
kenjifujiwara
31st Dec 2012

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 03-Aug-12 09:41 PM
804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

See, just thinking about buying a Canon, and you've already moved to the Dark Side.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 04-Aug-12 03:02 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 1

Martinsville, US

I was thinking of the same thing.

That's equivalent having and Apple Macintosh Computer and some one mentioning the Word Microsoft Window machine, which is considered going to the Dark Side.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 04-Aug-12 12:53 AM
3263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Did this problem begin recently? If not you should have sent it in while the camera was under warranty.

All brands of cameras can occasionally need repair. See this:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=220625

Alan

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 04-Aug-12 04:47 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you had the camera serviced for the same problem under warranty recently Nikon might fix it for free. If not, they should be able to repair the problem for a fee. They will most likely want you to send in both the camera and lens.
As for purchasing a Canon to capture you destroying your D5100; the grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 04-Aug-12 03:09 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

Rather than destroying the Camera. I'd be willing to take it off your hands for shipping cost. My lens for my 3000 should work just fine. Just need the body, battery and charger.

I'd love to move up to the 3200 but can find nowhere I can just get just the body with Battery and charger. I already have the 18-55, the 55-200 and the 35 f/1.8

Don't need to waste money on what I don't need.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 16-Aug-12 12:58 AM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 16-Aug-12 03:32 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

>Rather than destroying the Camera. I'd be willing to take it
>off your hands for shipping cost. My lens for my 3000 should
>work just fine. Just need the body, battery and charger.
>

Yeah, but then I'd be denying myself the satisfaction of destroying the object of my frustration . Actually none of the ranges that I know of here in Virginia would allow me to do it. But the daydream is somewhat soothing.

In any event, I do thank you all for your replies. I looked at the Nikon website and found that it is still just barely within warranty (for some reason, I thought it was only 90 days), so I will be sending it to Nikon this weekend.

If you check out the last eight pictures added to my gallery "My Back Yard" ( http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=22196 ) and especially the picture of the goldfinch in the same gallery, I think you'll see my problem. It can also be seen in the HF transciever pix in my "Just Playing Around" gallery ( http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=22223 )

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Thu 16-Aug-12 05:36 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 6

Ayden, US

My D3000 was received from Nikon today. It took two trips to their repair facility but the repair appears to be satisfactory.

Good luck

Laverne

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-Aug-12 12:38 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Nikon USA provides a 90 day warranty on refurbished bodies, lenses, and speedlights. They provide a one year warranty on new bodies and speedlights and a 0ne yrar international warranty and 4 additional year Nikon USA warranty on lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 17-Aug-12 01:50 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

That's a little more than "Soft" That downright borderline Fuzzy. Doesn't appear to be camera shake

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 17-Aug-12 12:14 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 17-Aug-12 12:16 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

All of the pix were taken from a solid tripod.

The really frustrating part of the "softness" is in the pic of the goldfinch. Had it been in sharp focus, I think it would have been a magnificent picture. (Note that it is a cropped picture. For the full picture to be displayed on my monitor, it would be reduced to 25% of full size - as were the last eight pictures.

Now, here's a wonder question. I was trying to get a good picture showing the problem to send to Nikon along with the camera. The birds weren't cooperationg so I decided to take a picture of the feeder. It has lots of dark horizontal and vertical lines to focus on (the distance is 15 feet and the lens is at 200mm). While I was waiting, I started fooling with the diopter adjustment and carefully adjusted its focus on the cage of the feeder. Then I shot some pix and when I checked, they seemed considerably sharper than before. (Flowers taken at 2 feet didn't seem to benefit that much from this adjustment)

I saw a diagram of the mirrors and sensors in another model of Nikon (D90, I think) and it showed the focusing sensor on the bottom of the camera and the picture sensor (the "film") on the back. Is it possible that the focusing sensor on the 5100 is on the top, after the diopter adjustment? Does anyone know of a site that has a diagram of the internal layout of the 5100?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 18-Aug-12 02:48 PM
3103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 10

Hatboro, Pa, US

The diopter adjustment has absolutely nothing to do with auto focus. It only corrects for your eyesight so your view through the viewfinder is clearer.

Len

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Sat 18-Aug-12 08:35 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 11

Springfield, US

Thanks. It didn't seem like the diopter adjustment should have anything to do with the problem. Guess it's just a coincidence that the pix seemed to sharpen up after I played with it.

kenjifujiwara Registered since 17th Oct 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 07:50 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>All of the pix were taken from a solid tripod.
>
>The really frustrating part of the "softness" is in
>the pic of the goldfinch. Had it been in sharp focus, I think
>it would have been a magnificent picture. (Note that it is a
>cropped picture. For the full picture to be displayed on my
>monitor, it would be reduced to 25% of full size - as were the
>last eight pictures.
>
>Now, here's a wonder question. I was trying to get a good
>picture showing the problem to send to Nikon along with the
>camera. The birds weren't cooperationg so I decided to take a
>picture of the feeder. It has lots of dark horizontal and
>vertical lines to focus on (the distance is 15 feet and the
>lens is at 200mm). While I was waiting, I started fooling with
>the diopter adjustment and carefully adjusted its focus on the
>cage of the feeder. Then I shot some pix and when I checked,
>they seemed considerably sharper than before. (Flowers taken
>at 2 feet didn't seem to benefit that much from this
>adjustment)
> had
>I saw a diagram of the mirrors and sensors in another model of
>Nikon (D90, I think) and it showed the focusing sensor on the
>bottom of the camera and the picture sensor (the
>"film") on the back. Is it possible that the
>focusing sensor on the 5100 is on the top, after the diopter
>adjustment? Does anyone know of a site that s has a diagram of
>the internal layout of the 5100?

I don't think diopter has anything to do with auto-focus,.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6460 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.