Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6393
View in linear mode

Subject: "Video with D3100?" Previous topic | Next topic
LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Mon 23-Jul-12 01:42 AM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Video with D3100?"

Houston, Texas, US

I'm thinking of buying a refurbished D3100 for video because my D300 does not have video. Can you use a non cpu lens to shoot videos(I have alot of non cpu lenses)? And can you adjust the exposure manually?

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

So many cameras, so little time....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Tue 24-Jul-12 03:49 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Video with D3100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke Island, US

Hi Bill,

The D3100 will not handle non-CPU lenses, any non AF-S lenses (AF D lenses for instance) must be manually focused. The D3100 does work well in manual mode.

The kit lenses for the D3100 are cheap in $$ and very light - BUT are very high quality optically. That may be a solution for AF in video.

I shot some HD video with a D3100 using an AF-S NIKKOR 18-200 VR G which looked great on our HD TV.

Nikon's D3100 Digitutor may be helpful with what the D3100 can and can't do.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Assets/Digital-SLR/2010/25472-Nikon-D3100/Video/digitutor/index.html

I hope this helps,
Well Wishes
Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Wed 25-Jul-12 02:42 AM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Video with D3100?"
In response to Reply # 1

Houston, Texas, US

Thanks Ken. If it won't handle non cpu lenses, maybe I should get something else. I know you can use something like a micro 4/3 mirrorless Olympus with non cpu lens. Many people use them with lens adapters and lenses of many different mounts. The goal is to shoot some videos with my favorite lenses-and they're not cpu lenses. My favorites are my Soviet era lenses and the Nikon 75-150 Series E.

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

So many cameras, so little time....

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Wed 25-Jul-12 01:17 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Video with D3100?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 25-Jul-12 01:30 PM by Skyco

Roanoke Island, US

Your welcome Bill.

Have you considered a used D300s for video?

The D800 can be taught to recognize non-CPU lenses but that may be more than what you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6393 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.