Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #639
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
denvermtnguy Registered since 14th Sep 2009Wed 23-Sep-09 05:23 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"

US

I am a 57 year old guy with a love of the visual arts and a bit of a techie side. For some reason, I have only just found photography as a potential rich hobby.

I just bought a Nikon D3000, believing the GUIDE mode would outweigh certain of its limitations -- that the D5000 offered. I have a day or two to return the camera. I have just enrolled in a very small and rich photography class and now feel fairly certain, I will be in this hobby for the longer haul.

Question: knowing this, am I unnecessarily worrying about differences in these cameras? I am somewhat leaning to returning the D3000 for the D5000, to get easier access to ISO adjustment, many more scene modes and auto-exposure bracketing, etc. (I don't think the movie featureset is very important.) I was also thinking of getting the D5000 with a 18 -105 VR lens, instead of the kit 18 - 55 VR lens of the stock D3000.

I have taken a few instructional courses online and now understand the basics of exposure and the professional v. scene modes and am not so sure I need the GUIDE mode. Originally I was drawn to the D3000 because I thought this tool would absolutely insure my learning the camera. Now I suspect my commitment to that is certain and I already have a grasp of the basics the GUIDE mode offers help with.

What do folks with some experience and judgment think? Am I just doing the beginner's "I need better equipment" dance when the D3000 is plenty of equipment? Or, while I have the chance, does it make sense to upgrade for a few hundred dollars - if I am already worrying about these features and the more versatile single lens?

Sincere, sincere thanks so much for anyone's ideas, comments, thoughts and judgment!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D50...
ssmumich00
23rd Sep 2009
WD4MLA Silver Member
24th Sep 2009
Floridian Silver Member
26th Sep 2009
William Symonds
01st Oct 2009
phantomsailor
03rd Oct 2009
LightstarXIII
03rd Oct 2009

ssmumich00 Registered since 20th Mar 2009Wed 23-Sep-09 08:06 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

the 18-105 VR is great, and I would highly recommend the "upgrade" to the 12mp CMOS sensor on the D5k. . .

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 24-Sep-09 08:16 PM
906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

While I have not compared the two cameras, I would not make my decision based on the scene modes or the guide mode. I think you will outgrow these pretty quickly if you are serious about learning photography.

I would feel sure that the D5000 would be ther better camera to have and learn with.

Good luck with your decision

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 26-Sep-09 02:42 AM
2727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I'd say, stick with the D3000 -- the less expensive camera -- until you have a better idea of what you want to do with photography, and what equipment you want to own to do it.

The D3000 will take great photos, and if you are really getting into photography, you will never want to use the scene modes. Nikon's higher-end cameras (D300s, D3) don't even have scene modes.

The 18-55 is a good lens, and a versatile one. Of coure, the 18-105 is more versatile, but if you're really getting into photography you might prefer the highly-regarded 16-85, or the 17-55 f2.8.

I'd wait to buy a better camera and lenses until you have a better idea of what the camera and lenses you have won't do that you'd like to be able to do.

One last thought on upgrading the camera: If someone told me they really wanted to get into photography seriously as a hobby, I'd recommend the D90 over either the D3000 or the D5000, because it has a built-in focusing motor that both these cameras lack, so you would have a wider choice of lenses down the road.

If you asked whether you should get a D90 over a D3000 for someone who is looking at this as a serious hobby, that would be a harder question. But I think you'd do just as well starting with the D3000 as the D5000.

Randy

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 01-Oct-09 07:12 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Bogor, ID

The D5000 has a fabulous sensor - IMVHO that alone is worth the upgrade....

I am a bit underwhelmed by the D3000.

Life and light wait for no man!

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Sat 03-Oct-09 06:20 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 03-Oct-09 06:24 PM by phantomsailor

Norwich, US

I know what its like to have to decide whether or not to invest more $$. After reading your statements and knowing you seem to be committed to the art of Photography, I'd advise you to take the jump to the 5000. You will out grow the 3000 and want something more in a couple years. Rather than trying to sell off the 3000 then, you will be less likely to out grow the 5000 in the foreseeable future. Let us know what u decide.

If u miss the deadline by a couple days most dealers would extend it in todays economy.

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

LightstarXIII Registered since 01st Oct 2009Sat 03-Oct-09 07:58 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Well I happen to own a Nikon D3000, and yes it does underwhelm only do to the fact that I thought it would be more powerful than the D40X/D60 I once owned. But I can get the same look from all the cameras, and the images are good. Plus for low light photo the D3000 lags a bit behind when it comes to noise.

The D3000 isn't much of an upgrade from the D40X/D60 and you are well suited to get the more visually and technically advanced Nikon D5000. But in my true opinion once the techniques of photography are learned you can get good images from any camera. Yes the GUIDE MODE is too basic (School stuff already learned), and instead they should have (If possible) an in camera Users Guide instead of the CD Manual.

Plus with the D5000 you get more flexalbe software, especially if you want to upload a customcurve to the camera, or use custom settings in the camera. The D3000s software capabilities are slight, and there are no real customizable controls or software, save just uploaing your pictures to ViweNX or Nikon Capture for RAW.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #639 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.