nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000

denvermtnguy

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
denvermtnguy Registered since 14th Sep 2009
Wed 23-Sep-09 05:23 PM

I am a 57 year old guy with a love of the visual arts and a bit of a techie side. For some reason, I have only just found photography as a potential rich hobby.

I just bought a Nikon D3000, believing the GUIDE mode would outweigh certain of its limitations -- that the D5000 offered. I have a day or two to return the camera. I have just enrolled in a very small and rich photography class and now feel fairly certain, I will be in this hobby for the longer haul.

Question: knowing this, am I unnecessarily worrying about differences in these cameras? I am somewhat leaning to returning the D3000 for the D5000, to get easier access to ISO adjustment, many more scene modes and auto-exposure bracketing, etc. (I don't think the movie featureset is very important.) I was also thinking of getting the D5000 with a 18 -105 VR lens, instead of the kit 18 - 55 VR lens of the stock D3000.

I have taken a few instructional courses online and now understand the basics of exposure and the professional v. scene modes and am not so sure I need the GUIDE mode. Originally I was drawn to the D3000 because I thought this tool would absolutely insure my learning the camera. Now I suspect my commitment to that is certain and I already have a grasp of the basics the GUIDE mode offers help with.

What do folks with some experience and judgment think? Am I just doing the beginner's "I need better equipment" dance when the D3000 is plenty of equipment? Or, while I have the chance, does it make sense to upgrade for a few hundred dollars - if I am already worrying about these features and the more versatile single lens?

Sincere, sincere thanks so much for anyone's ideas, comments, thoughts and judgment!!!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D50...

G