Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6377
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice needed" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Mon 16-Jul-12 12:22 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advice needed"

pinellas park, US

I presently own a D5100 with the DX 55-200 f4.5, DX 18-55 f3.5 and the Tamron AF 200-500 f5.
I have just started my photo business and am considering purchasing a dx 800. I shoot mainly nature, animal portraits (pets), engagements,(no weddings)
My questions are:
will my lenses work in the FX body and if so will there be limitations
Is the 800e,worth the extra 300, should I skip the 800 and go with a 700, or 7000?

Last but not least,what prime lens should I buy for portraits?

Thanks to all, never knew this was going to cost so much. Selling off my last hobby, a very expensive stereo to fund the business.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advice needed
jpFoto
16th Jul 2012
fires1
16th Jul 2012
jpFoto
16th Jul 2012
fires1
16th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator
17th Jul 2012

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 16-Jul-12 07:22 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Advice needed"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 16-Jul-12 07:33 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Wayne

First, I think that you mean the D800 as opposed to dx 800.

All of your lenses will work on the D800, but the 18-55 and the 55-200 are DX lenses so you would have to use them in what is known as "DX Crop Mode" which means that only the center 40 percent of the FX full frame sensor will be used. It will also show up that way in your viewfinder. I believe that the Tamron is an FX lens so you won't have that problem, and unlike with your D5100, it will also autofocus on the D800.

As for purchasing the D800 vs. the D800E, you may want to look through some of the threads in the D800 forum since this issue is discussed, ad nauseam. My take on these threads is that landscape photographers want the E and portrait and event photographers like the straight 800, but there are some that don't agree on that either.

The other two cameras, the D700 and D7000 are also good choices. You can buy a gently used D700 for well under $2,000.00 today or a new one for $2,200.00. With the D7000, your two DX lenses will feel right at home since it's a DX camera and your Tamron will autofocus.

As for portrait lenses, you may want to take a look at the threads in the Nikon Autofocus Lens Forum since, once again, this is a hot topic and discussed often and thoroughly.

I hope that helps.

jP

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Mon 16-Jul-12 07:30 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advice needed"
In response to Reply # 1

pinellas park, US

>Hi Wayne
>
>First, I think that you mean the D800 as opposed to dx 800.
>
>All of your lenses will work on the D800, but the 18-55 and
>the 55-200 are DX lenses so you would have to use them in what
>is known as DX Crop mode which means that only the center 40
>percent of the FX full frame sensor will be used. It will all
>show up that way in your viewfinder. I believe that the
>Tamron is an FX lens so you won't have that problem.
>
>As for purchasing the D800 vs. the D800E, you may want to look
>through some of the threads in the D800 forum since this issue
>is discussed, ad nauseam. My take on these threads is that
>landscape photographers want the E and portrait and event
>photographers like the straight 800, but there are some that
>don't agree on that either.
>
>As for portrait lenses, you may want to take a look at the
>threads in the Nikon Autofocus lens forum since, once again,
>this is a hot topic and discussed often.
>
>I hope that helps.
>
>jP
>
>
>
>Thanks, yes it does help. More reading to do....ha ha. when you say 40 percent (sorry for my ignorance) will the image. when I download, IE picture, have borders or just what I see in the viewfinder. Your right D800, should have proofread. The lens question was for a fixed prime lens for portraits

Thanks again I moved my post over to the D800 forum and will find out how to delete this thread after your reply
>
>
>

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 16-Jul-12 07:38 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Advice needed"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 16-Jul-12 07:42 PM by jpFoto

US

Wayne

I edited my post to provide the answer to a couple of your other concerns.

Instead of moving your post to the D800 forum, why don't you just ask your question about the differences between the two models over there and then either read or start another post about the portrait lenses in the Autofocus Lens Forum. But, once again, you may want to just read the current threads in those two forums since there are lots of answers to your questions in the existing threads.

Good luck.

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Mon 16-Jul-12 07:56 PM
#4. "RE: Advice needed"
In response to Reply # 3

pinellas park, US

Good game plan, thanks

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 17-Jul-12 02:36 PM
25566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Advice needed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Please make all responses to this question in This Duplicate Thread .
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6377 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.