Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6333
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3200 layering photos" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 03-Jul-12 05:51 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3200 layering photos"
Tue 03-Jul-12 05:51 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Reading the manual I downloaded I see it says layering two pics is possible. Later it references multiple pics. I haven't tried this in the camera yet nor have I dug into the menu to find it. I do have a question though. If using a tripod would this be a way to creat an HDR pic in camera? My head says yes but my experience with this is zero!
Thanks Bertotti

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3200 layering photos
John Bertotti Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
04th Jul 2012
04th Jul 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
04th Jul 2012
04th Jul 2012

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 03-Jul-12 07:00 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3200 layering photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

So many forums I see now an HDR one. Perhaps I messed up putting this here?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 04-Jul-12 12:04 AM
2906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3200 layering photos"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 04-Jul-12 12:44 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

You didn't mess up. The way to get HDR is to bracket successive exposures and then combine them in software. Photoshop CS5 has a setting to do this and it's pretty good. There is other software for HDR as well. The D3200 doesn't have a bracketing setting so you would need to take successive exposures using normal, under and over exposure shots while keeping the camera very still on a tripod.

The D5100 has a HDR mode where it takes two different exposures with one press of the shutter release and then combines the two in camera. The D3200 can't do that.

The D4 also has an in camera HDR setting using two exposures. As far as I know only the D4 and D5100 Nikon cameras have an in camera HDR function.

The image overlay function in the retouch menu in the D3200 is a way to combine two photos into one, in camera. It is different then HDR. I have used this feature to combine two different photos into one. You can overlay any two photos on the memory card in camera. The photos must be raw however. It's pretty good.

Len

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 01:31 AM
#3. "RE: D3200 layering photos"
In response to Reply # 2

Garretson, US

Excelent, I'm going to play with layering, no one feels like doing anything withe now it's to hot! 109.7 in South Dakota is just wrong. Anyway Inwas thinking if her is nothing but layers of different exposures it might work? Have you tried to layer more then two photos? Thanks!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 04-Jul-12 12:48 PM
2906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3200 layering photos"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

The D3200 will only layer two photos. But play with it. Actually play with some of the other special things this camera can do. It's fun. 109.7˚ in South Dakota? Something is very wrong.

Len

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 02:57 PM
#5. "RE: D3200 layering photos"
In response to Reply # 4

Garretson, US

I will experiment with all of it. I didn't care for the colored pencil thing, the fish eye was fun for the kids. I have a trex stuffed animal I think I'll try a layer with it bigger then the kids, they'll love it. And yes crazy weather, extra cold winters extra hot summers. 80 at 0800 this morning and I'll be workin out in it all day. Hey thanks for the help! Bertotti

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6333 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.