nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6326
View in linear mode

Subject: "N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8" Previous topic | Next topic
RadFly Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Tue 03-Jul-12 01:59 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"

US

Proud owner of N5100 for two months, just received Nikkor 50mm af-s 1.8. Experimented in green Auto mode, but camera insists on popping flash on some images even in full sun... why does my unit not understand it has a 1.8 f lens to work with?

AP mode works well, would like full green auto to work as well...

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8
aolander Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
03rd Jul 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
03rd Jul 2012
RadFly
04th Jul 2012
Jonty89
18th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
18th Jul 2012
dr_spear
24th Jul 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 03-Jul-12 04:11 AM
3366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If the camera thinks there maybe a back light situation or that you may need fill flash in bright light, it will pop up the flash. There's no reason to use "auto" if you're comfortable with AP, etc.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Jul-12 04:25 AM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5100.

>Experimented in green Auto mode, but camera
>insists on popping flash on some images even in full sun...
>why does my unit not understand it has a 1.8 f lens to work
>with?

In Auto mode, the camera maintains complete control of exposure and when the flash pops up, for some reason the camera thinks fill flash is required. To prevent the built in Speedlight from poping up, set the mode selector to flash off mode. You can also try using Program (P) mode where the built-in Speedlight will only pop up when you turn it on by pressing the flash button on the front side of the camera.

BTW:

We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of
mysterious web-personalities with anonymous screen names. Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 03-Jul-12 03:27 PM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

The D5100 is a wonderful camera. It knows you have a f1.8 lens mounted. But it doesn't know what you want to do with it when you're in Auto mode. So it makes a choice to try and give you a photo that's in focus and has the proper exposure. So it chooses a lens aperture that gives good depth of field and even pops open the flash if it thinks the light won't give you a shake free photo. It doesn't know you might want to use f1.8 to isolate the subject. This is what the A mode is for. If you want total control of the camera you don't want to use the green AUTO mode.

Len

RadFly Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 01:28 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 04-Jul-12 01:28 AM by RadFly

US

Thank you for the replys... I am having a good time with the lens in AP and SP modes, so I suppose my full auto mode will have to wait until the next time I feel lazy....

Jonty89 Registered since 27th Jun 2012Wed 18-Jul-12 06:38 AM
#5. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

The times I tend to use Auto mode I just automatically now flick the Flash over to off. It becomes second nature eventually. Now I don't mind switching between Manual and Auto so much.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 18-Jul-12 08:33 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Joe,

Thanks for filling in your name.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dr_spear Registered since 22nd Jul 2012Tue 24-Jul-12 04:03 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: N5100 with Nikkor Af-s 50mm 1.8"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 24-Jul-12 04:05 AM by dr_spear

QA

well, to be honest your problem goes beyond what you,ve described ,
I had the same issue with my D5100 and I'm still struggling to know if this is just a camera's "point of view" issue or it's a real technical fault
what i found out is that the camera is actually saying there is not enough light within the frame so i'm turning on the flash, which kinda weird coz to me it looked like there is pretty much enough light out there !!
even when you disable the flash or use another shooting mode like AP or SP....etc , if u notice the live view monitor u will see a question mark "blinking" before u press the shutter , press the zoom out button next to the live view and an explanation of the blinking question mark will pop on the live view saying that lighting is poor and using flash is recommended
for me i had this message whenever i included a dark object inside my frame regardless of the brightness of the rest of the scene
i had it with both kit lens and the 55mm 1.8G lens
obviously there's something going on with the metering system and i don't know if you should overlook this issue or take it seriously and have it checked up by the dealer, for me i got it oline from another country so there is no warranty , and when asked Nikon online about this they didn't seem to have an idea what I was talking about
after all, the image quality is not affected by what the camera is saying
I do get nice images with good exposures eventually

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6326 Previous topic | Next topic