nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6296
View in linear mode

Subject: "On a D5000, what for is this hook?" Previous topic | Next topic
imthejavi Registered since 29th Jun 2012Fri 29-Jun-12 09:57 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"On a D5000, what for is this hook?"

MX

Hi, I have a concern, I have seen that the camera has a hook on one side of the lens mount, what use is this hook?

Thx, cheers from Mexico Nikonians!

Image ref: http://i.imgur.com/atsyr.jpg

(gancho means hook in spanish)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 30-Jun-12 12:57 PM
3366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: On a D5000, what for is this hook?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 30-Jun-12 12:57 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

I'm not sure of the official name, but it's the "minimum aperture detection lever/switch". When using a lens with an aperture ring, the switch tells the camera that the lens is properly set to the minimum aperture. (Lenses with an aperture ring must be set and locked at their minimum aperture for metering and aperture control to function. You get the "fee" error otherwise.)

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 30-Jun-12 03:26 PM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: On a D5000, what for is this hook?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hatboro, Pa, US

It appears that any of the dslr's that don't have the AI metering lever have this switch. That includes the D40, D50, D60, D3000 and D5000 series bodies.

What I find interesting is that all manual focus lenses with AI, AIS or factory AI conversion kits also activate this switch when at minimum aperture. However I have not found any Nikon body that makes use of this feature when using a manual focus lens. That includes film bodies as well. So either Nikon has a function they thought of in 1976 and haven't implemented yet or the function they thought of was dropped. I just find that interesting.

Len

imthejavi Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sun 01-Jul-12 03:33 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: On a D5000, what for is this hook?"
In response to Reply # 2

MX

Alan, Len:

Thank you so much for your help, i have the d5000 since a year ago and a few days ago i was wondering what for is that thing.

I will now search more about those types of lens type.

Again, thank you for your support. Cheers from Mexico!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6296 Previous topic | Next topic