Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6291
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flowe type hoods" Previous topic | Next topic
adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Fri 29-Jun-12 03:42 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flowe type hoods"

US

Hello all, i have a Nikon D3000 with the 18-55mm vr kit lens as well as a 55-300mm vr. I have the standard conical hoods on both lenses but i am looking, if possible, to replace them with the flower or petal type hoods. I believe they look a lot better and more professional, even if i am not . I have seen a lot of videos online, from reviews to tutorials about photography, and the one thing they all seem to have in common is that all the lenses have the flower type hoods. Any recommendations if they are available for my lenses and where can i find them. Thank you in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flowe type hoods
briantilley Moderator
29th Jun 2012
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jun 2012
adinis Silver Member
29th Jun 2012
adinis Silver Member
29th Jun 2012
Skyco Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
adinis Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 29-Jun-12 05:06 PM
28918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Antonio

You're right that many "professional" lenses come with a flower- or petal-shaped lens hood. Such hood work better to shade unwanted light because the camera image is rectangular, not round. The hoods have deeper "petals" at the top and bottom, medium at the sides and shallowest in the corners.

However, the front of both of your lenses rotates when you focus - that means that the hood would rotate too, and would therefore be misaligned, causing black shadows along the edghes and in the corners of the image

Pro lenses tend to have non-rotating front parts, hence they don't have this problem.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 29-Jun-12 05:23 PM
5909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 29-Jun-12 05:28 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Antonio,

As Brian points out, the hoods are designed for the lenses that you have. There is a reason that they are the shape they are: They do the best job keeping unwanted light from ruining your shot. If you look at petal shaped hoods, they are very different from one another based on the characteristics of the lens they are mounted on.

Use the hoods that came with your lenses and concentrate on getting the best image possible. That will make you a professional sooner that the look of your equipment.

The only time you may want to use a different hood is when shooting at an aquarium or zoo when you want to use a rubber hood pressed against the glass to minimize reflections and stray light.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Fri 29-Jun-12 05:25 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Antonia,
>
>As Brian points out, the hoods are designed for the lenses
>that you have. There is a reason that they are the shape they
>are: They doo the best job keeping unwanted light from ruining
>your shot. If you look at petal shaped hoods, they are very
>differnt from one another based on the characteristics of the
>lens they are mounted on.
>
>Use the hoods that came with your lenses and concentrate on
>getting the best image possible. That will make you a
>professional sooner that the look of your equipment.
>
>The only time you may want to use a different hood is when
>shooting at an aquarium or zoo when you want to use a rubber
>hood pressed against the glass to minimize reflections and
>stray light.
>
>Mick
>http://www.mickklassphoto.com
>or
>Visit
>my nikonians gallery>

Thank you for the info.

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Fri 29-Jun-12 05:23 PM
#3. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Welcome to Nikonians, Antonio
>
>You're right that many "professional" lenses come
>with a flower- or petal-shaped lens hood. Such hood work
>better to shade unwanted light because the camera image is
>rectangular, not round. The hoods have deeper
>"petals" at the top and bottom, medium at the sides
>and shallowest in the corners.
>
>However, the front of both of your lenses rotates when you
>focus - that means that the hood would rotate too, and would
>therefore be misaligned, causing black shadows along the
>edghes and in the corners of the image
>
>Pro lenses tend to have non-rotating front parts, hence they
>don't have this problem.

Thank you for the reply, i so guess i am stuck with the stock hoods. Oh well, i thought i would give it a try.

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 03:04 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 02-Jul-12 03:07 AM by Skyco

Roanoke Island, US

>>Welcome to Nikonians, Antonio
>>
>>You're right that many "professional" lenses
>come
>>with a flower- or petal-shaped lens hood. Such hood work
>>better to shade unwanted light because the camera image
>is
>>rectangular, not round. The hoods have deeper
>>"petals" at the top and bottom, medium at the
>sides
>>and shallowest in the corners.
>>
>>However, the front of both of your lenses rotates when
>you
>>focus - that means that the hood would rotate too, and
>would
>>therefore be misaligned, causing black shadows along the
>>edghes and in the corners of the image
>>
>>Pro lenses tend to have non-rotating front parts, hence
>they
>>don't have this problem.
>
>Thank you for the reply, i so guess i am stuck with the stock
>hoods. Oh well, i thought i would give it a try.

Welcome to Nikonians Antonio,

I have a pedal lens hood for the Nikon 18 - 55 wide angle zoom lens It is a screw in model so you can adjust the side blades if they get in the way. I notice that the focus rotation of the front lens isn't much but if it gets in the way you can rotate the side blades.

I will happily trade you even for your non pro looking lens hood.

I hope you enjoy your Nikons. You have very good equipment.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 06:08 PM
#6. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to Reply # 5

US

would you mind letting me know where you got it? i would like to take a look at it. thanks

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6291 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.