Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6272
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 exposure compensation" Previous topic | Next topic
pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012Wed 27-Jun-12 04:19 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 exposure compensation"

Roswell, US

I am not clear when you would adjust exposure compensation versus changing ISO, shuutter speed or aperture. There are many ways to adjust exposure but when to use one verus the other is confusing me. Would appraciate any insight.

John

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 exposure compensation
JosephK Silver Member
27th Jun 2012
pencho
27th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
27th Jun 2012
pencho
28th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jun 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
28th Jun 2012
aolander Silver Member
27th Jun 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 27-Jun-12 04:30 PM
4478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 27-Jun-12 04:33 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

The combination of ISO and shutter speed and aperture gives you an exposure value. Changing the ISO or shutter speed or aperture results in one of the others changing in the opposite direction to maintain the same exposure value. For example, if you double the ISO you then half the shutter speed to maintain the exposure value.

You change the exposure compensation when you don't like the exposure value picked by the camera. For example, the camera meter may be confused by all the snow around your skier friends and underexpose the scene because the camera does not know that all that snow is supposed to be white, not middle gray. You then might need to add some +EV to let in more light to get the snow back to white and your friends not underexposed.

There are two ways to change your EV compensation. In manual mode, you just change one of the exposure settings (shutter, aperture, ISO) -- handy for just a few pictures. Is any of the auto modes, you set the EV value to a +/- value and the camera does the calculations -- handy for many shots.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012Wed 27-Jun-12 05:28 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 1

Roswell, US

Thanks for the reply. I mainly shoot in aperture priority mode so I would use the aperture to change my exposure. It sounds like the exposure compensation is mainly used for the auto modes. I think that answers my question!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 27-Jun-12 06:02 PM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Aperture priority mode is an "Auto Mode".
Here are two examples where Exposure Compensation is used to adjust for ambient conditions.
When you subject is on a stage with black curtains in the background the matrix meter can easily be fooled into over exposing your subject because of the dark background.
Dialing in some negative exposure compensation will skew the meter to increase the shutter speed (in A exposure mode) resulting in your subject being correctly exposed.

With back lighted white curtains in the background the matrix meter will be fooled into under exposing your subject. Adding some positive exposure compensation will skew the meter to use a slower shutter speed (again in A exposure mode) to adjust for the under exposure, resulting in your subject being correctly exposed.

When the foreground or background is significantly brighter or darker than your subject and you are using P, S, or A exposure modes, using Exposure Compensation allows you to compensate or adjust the exposure to fit the condition.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012Thu 28-Jun-12 12:56 AM
#5. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 3

Roswell, US

Hi Marty,

Thank you. For the scenario you described, I would switch to spot metering instead of matrix so I would expose based on my subject and not background. But I am still learning so I will try exposure compensation and compare results.

I do understand how ISO, Aperture and shutter speed relate to each other. And I get how exposure compensation works. I think I am still searching for a good use case to apply it. One thing for sure, it is nice to have options!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 28-Jun-12 04:15 AM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi John,

In that situation, I would do the same thing since I shoot in Manual exposure mode most of the time I can quickly adjust as required.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 28-Jun-12 11:00 PM
3043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 28-Jun-12 11:01 PM by coolmom42

McEwen, US

I find exposure compensation useful if there is a specific part of the image that I'm concerned about overexposing or underexposing.

For instance, I might do spot metering on a darker-colored flower but be concerned that a light section of foliage will be blown out. But if I meter off the lightest foliage, the flower (my main subject) will be grossly underexposed. So I meter off the flower, deliberately underexpose the entire image a little, to avoid blowing out the foliage. The result is a slightly underexposed flower that can often be corrected in post-processing, with detail preserved in the light section of foliage.

By the same token you can slightly overexpose the entire image to bring out detail in a black area or deep shadow that might otherwise be lost.

Exposure compensation can help you get the entire dynamic range of the image inside the camera gamut.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 27-Jun-12 07:42 PM
3256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

When using Aperture Priority mode and you change the aperture, the shutter speed must change to keep the same exposure (keeping ISO constant in this case). For example, if f/8 and 1/125th gives you the correct exposure and you change to f/11, then the shutter speed will be 1/60th to give you the same (correct) exposure. When using Exposure Compensation, adding +1 will cause the camera to "overexposure" one stop from what the camera thought should be the "correct" exposure. For example, if f/8 and 1/125th is the "correct" exposure and you then select +1 Exp. Comp, the result will be f/8 and 1/60th.

Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6272 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.