Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #626
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sigma 28 mm lens" Previous topic | Next topic
mianake Registered since 22nd Sep 2009Tue 22-Sep-09 09:45 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sigma 28 mm lens"

US

Hi,

I am new to SLRs, recently got a D5000 with the 28-55 lens and 55-200 lens.

I have some interest in macro photography and saw a very inexp3nsive SIGMA 28mm f2.8 macro lens.

I realize it is not a true macro lens, since it does not have 1:1 magnificaiton. And it does not have autofocus motor. Soo...

1. Will it even work on a D5000,that is, can I manaully focus, or is that horrible.

2. Will it have better macro than the 28- 55 lens. I compared this 28-55mm lens to my point and shoot, close but not quite as good as the Canon SD 1000 for small flowers. I may of course learn more about the Nikon.

3. Seems that lots of folks end up using a prime lens most of the time - I have read various posts to this effect. Thus, can I use the Sigma for many other shots?

sorry if quesitons make little sense, very new to all this, thanks much.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 22-Sep-09 05:26 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sigma 28 mm lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

Sigma make (or made) a 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Macro lens, if that's what you're asking about.

If so, then this won't give autofocus on a D5000. Many people use manual focus for macro work anyway, so it might not be a problem. I believe the D5000 has Live View, which simplifies things somewhat

The Sigma lens has a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:2.9 - i.e. you could fill the frame with an object about 2.9 inches across. If your kit lens is one of the 18-55mm DX Nikkors then its maximum reproduction ratio is 1:3.2 so it's not that far behind.

A supplementary close-up lens may be another, equally inexpensive, option.

Why not check out our 3rd Party Lenses and Macro & Close-up Photography Forums for more information?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mianake Registered since 22nd Sep 2009Tue 22-Sep-09 06:23 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sigma 28 mm lens"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Brian,

I must say, as confusing as the SLRs were to a newby, the lens are much worse. I guess it will get easier with familiarity.

The D5000 came with the Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 G. so that seems to qualify for what you mentioned.

The Sigma I had thought was the 1.8f you mentioned. The apparently had a wide angle lens and one with macro.The one offerred was much cheaper than any i found, so rather suspicious.

Turns out it is 28mm f2.8 I think - when you google it, there are some listed, and it is a very inexpensive lens. Maybe very old also, as not listed on Sigma or many other places.

You mentioned "A supplementary close-up lens may be another, equally inexpensive, option." I am not sure what this is - different than macro? I had been looking at perhaps the Tamron 90mm Macro, which gets very good reviews, and is about 450.

thanks again Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #626 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.