Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6236
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fotos out of focus" Previous topic | Next topic
drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 08:21 AM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fotos out of focus"

IN

Hi all,

I'm having little trouble with the focusing of the camera with both of my lenses. Some photos come out crystal clear but unfortunately in some the subject is not really in focus. I'm attaching 2 photos of my wife.

1. Details all given with SB-800 bounce flash.

2. Details all given with on board direct flash.

Please see both the photos & help me please. I don't want to be disappointed when i see photos. I don't know what is going wrong with the focusing. Please help me.

Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography & Nikon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fotos out of focus
jpFoto
24th Jun 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
24th Jun 2012
drmanubmengi Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
24th Jun 2012
jpFoto
24th Jun 2012
drmanubmengi Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
jpFoto
25th Jun 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
jpFoto
25th Jun 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
25th Jun 2012

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 24-Jun-12 09:52 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

First, both pictures are underexposed. Because you used flash for both of them, it is really difficult to determine exactly what you did wrong, but both were shot at your maximum aperture which yields the least depth of field.

Second, I can't really tell very much about the top picture because the image that you have posted is so small that it's impossible to enlarge and inspect, but the lower image is NOT out of focus. The focus appears perfect, it's just underexposed.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 24-Jun-12 10:10 AM
29214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, UK

I think we need to know a little more about your camera settings (in particular the autofocus system) before trying to diagnose any problems. In the upper one, for example, it's possible the camera chose the curtain as its AF target rather than the face.

As JP says, the lower image seems well focused to me, and the upper one doesn't look too bad either (JP - if you click on the images, you see a larger version in Manu's gallery).

Both images could use a little sharpening, but I see no obvious focus issues

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 06:51 PM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 2

IN

Hey Brian & jpFoto,

Yes the curtain seems to be in focus & yes this has been the problem for quite a few photographs now. Everything except the subject was in focus & it did not make any difference whether aperture was wide open or pin hole.

Today i changed the AF Mode to Single Point Viewfinder & Metering to Matrix Metering & i think that the photos have changed a little bit & now the subject is in focus (i'm not sure).

Do you get anything from what i told you. If yes please tell me & help me.

@jpFoto......Will Under exposure make the difference?

Dr. Manu Mengi

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 24-Jun-12 07:15 PM
29214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, UK

Yes, that helps

The fact that you changed to Single-point AF Area Mode implies that you were previoiusly using a different Mode. Single-point AF is best when (as with a portrait) you want the camera to focus on a particular part of the scene. You can select any desired AF point if you don't want your subject right in the middle of the shot.

I would also ensure that you have selected Single-servo AF Mode (AF-S), which is the best AF Mode for subjects that aren't moving.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 24-Jun-12 08:48 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 24-Jun-12 08:53 PM by jpFoto

US

@jpFoto......Will Under exposure make the difference?

Manu

Under exposing an image will not affect your focus, however, it does affect your overall image quality. It's not my place to tell you how to shoot or setup your camera, but since you have noted here and in your other thread that you are disappointed with your D3200, and would like some suggestions, I would suggest a few things.

First, you haven't posted very many images, but a few of the ones that you did post were taken in low light with high shutter speeds, low ISO and wide open; some with flash and some without; and all with custom white balance. You also have chosen manual mode in at least one of your portraits. I think that these settings are a blueprint for disaster. Until you feel comfortable with your camera, manual mode probably isn't a good choice. Also, most built-in flashes do not produce good results used as the primary lighting solution.

Second, I have my camera set up as follows and you may want to try a similar setup until you are comfortable with the camera and have experienced some success:

1. Auto White Balance.

2. Auto ISO Sensitivity ON - ISO 100 - Maximum sensitivity 6400 - Minium shutter speed 1/125. (You may want to set your Maximum sensitivity to 1600, particularly if you are shooting jpegs only).

3. I use A (aperture priority) most of the time, but you may want to try using P (programmed auto) until you are comfortable with the camera. I would avoid using AUTO, (the one in green.)

Brian's suggestions for your focus settings make very good sense for portraits and other relatively stationary subject.

You may also want to pick a copy of Bryan Peterson's, "Understanding Exposure." Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340567495&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+exposure

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

jP

drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 10:12 AM
#6. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 5

IN

Thanx jp.

Will try to get the copy.

Dr. Manu Mengi

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 25-Jun-12 05:58 PM
298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 6

Springfield, US

I've been going crazy with focus on my 5100. After trying all the suggestions on the various forums and not being able to a picture of my dog with the 5100 that came anywhere near close to the quality of the picutures I could get of him with my point and shoot Canon A610, I was seriously obsessing about using the 610 to make a video of me using the 5100 and all the lenses as rifle targets.

Then I took a look at the settings on the Canon and saw that the ISO was set to 50. The Nikon, however was 3200. So I set the ISO to 100 and shot another pic. Again the Nikon ran to 3200. So I set the max ISO to 100 and shot the pic again. This time the pic was great. As goot as the Canon and at least twice the size. Went in again and found the Auto ISO and set to OFF and set the max ISO back to the maximum and shot the pic again. Again, great pic shot at ISO 100. Took a lot of photos over the weekend and the focus is fine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 25-Jun-12 06:18 PM
#8. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I think that your problem was that you were most likely using the built-in flash. There are a lot of threads here about AUTO-ISO and the built-in flash. It is generally agreed that you should either turn off AUTO-ISO when your are using it or limit the maximum to say ISO 800. Try using AUTO-ISO with higher settings but make sure that the flash is not going to activate, and I'm sure that you will like the results. Try using P mode instead of AUTO.

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 25-Jun-12 07:32 PM
298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 25-Jun-12 07:46 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Yes, I was using the built in flash on both cameras. What happens with the flash that causes the ISO to go through the roof?

By the way, how does ISO relate to ASA? Is it just another way of referring to the same thing or does ISO xxx = ASA yyy?

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 25-Jun-12 08:01 PM
#10. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 9

US

The short answers to both of your questions are:

1. For whatever reason, Nikon has designed the D3100, D3200 and the D5100 (and some others) to raise the ISO to the maximum in low light situations when you use the built-in flash. The camera seemingly ignores the fact that there is to be a flash and instead meters for the ambient light value.

2. ASA and ISO numeric values are the same. However, there are very few references to ASA values in these modern times, so you may want to tuck it into an old trunk with your film cameras and cassette tapes and put it in a corner of your basement.

jP

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 25-Jun-12 08:17 PM
#11. "RE: Fotos out of focus"
In response to Reply # 10

Springfield, US

Thank you for the clarification.

As far as ASA goes, I was just thinking back to the days when I used Kodachrome with an ASA 25 and was wondering if, perhaps ASA 25 might be ISO 100 or something like that. (Actually, when I was doing the check to see what the 5100 would do if I lowered the ISO to that of the Canon, I was quite disappointed that it wouldn't go below 100. Back in the day, that seemed pretty fast for an ASA.)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6236 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.