Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #623
View in linear mode

Subject: "formatting camera" Previous topic | Next topic
amymorrow Registered since 21st Sep 2009Mon 21-Sep-09 10:19 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"formatting camera"

US

I recently got a Nikon D3000 and I cannot get the memory card to format. I've read the directions, taken the memory card out of the camera, formatted and reformatted, I even taken and downloaded some pictures, but sometimes when I turn on the camera it says it needs to be formatted. Is it a faulty memory card or is it operator error?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: formatting camera
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd Sep 2009
amymorrow
23rd Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Sep 2009
Ramesses
25th Sep 2009
amymorrow
27th Sep 2009
Ramesses
27th Sep 2009

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 22-Sep-09 01:45 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: formatting camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

Sorry to hear about the problem.

First try a second card, make sure it is listed as approved by Nikon, and see if that card will format and keep its format.

If not then I would call Nikon support.

Remember there is a safety feature involved in formatting and if you use the 2 button format you need to press the sequence twice, the second confirms the action.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

amymorrow Registered since 21st Sep 2009Wed 23-Sep-09 11:22 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: formatting camera"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks...I'm going to give it a try.
Amy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 22-Sep-09 11:20 PM
26427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: formatting camera"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Amy,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
It sounds like a bad card is the root cause of your problem.
Get a new card as George recommends. Format the card in the camera. That should solve your problem. If the new card works without problems, return the bad card if it is new or has a warranty. If not discard it. You may loose your images the next time you use the bad card.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 25-Sep-09 04:01 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: formatting camera"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Amy:

Another thing that you can try is to make sure that the memory card (SD) write-protect switch is not in the lock position. It is in the top left corner of the card. Just move the switch up. In the lock position, it allows you to write and delete photos but not to format the card.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

amymorrow Registered since 21st Sep 2009Sun 27-Sep-09 12:01 AM
#5. "RE: formatting camera"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks everyone for the input. I got a new card, and everything is working well.

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Sun 27-Sep-09 01:38 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: formatting camera"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Amy:

Great! I'm very glad to hear that it is the card and not the camera.

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #623 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.