Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6211
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEF File Options for D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Thu 21-Jun-12 10:19 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEF File Options for D3200"

San Francisco, US

It looks as if the only NEF files possible on the D3200 are 12-bit compressed NEFs. Is this correct?

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 21-Jun-12 11:07 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEF File Options for D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

US

dgs

That is correct. It's listed on page 44 of the manual. It is probably a software decision by Nikon since this is an entry level camera. On that note, the DR and color saturation of this camera is so good, that it is probably more than enough for most and definitely for me.

jP

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Thu 21-Jun-12 11:39 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NEF File Options for D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

Thanks, I am using a D7000, which offers 14-bit and NEF lossless compression. Since the sensor is so good, it's too bad Nikon doesn't let you max the resolution, but you are correct, it's targeted as an entry level camera, so many using it will just shoot jpeg's.

dgs

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 05:18 AM
808 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NEF File Options for D3200"
In response to Reply # 2

HIXSON, US

If I needed more than 16 million colors, I would probably be shooting with something other than a D3200.

I'm guessing that since the D3200 has so many megapixels--significantly increasing necessary bandwidth--Nikon was also constrained by buffer size/speed & other considerations that would jack up the cost.

Charlie

drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 10:16 AM
277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NEF File Options for D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

Agree fully with jp & charlie.

Nikon had to keep somethings away from this camera.
I would suggest why don't you visit

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=6107&mesg_id=6107&page=

Hope you will something there also.

Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography & Nikon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6211 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.