Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6191
View in linear mode

Subject: "What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
jammike Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 19-Jun-12 01:33 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"

US

My first DSLR.
I got Nikon 5100 with 18-55 kit lens, 55-200mm, 35mm and SB-400 Flash.
Love the camera so far.

I have a question regarding ISO Sensitivity Settings.
What do you have the Maximum Sensitivity set to? (I have it at 800)
What do you have the Minimum Shutter Speed set at? (I have it at 1/125)

if I increase the Max Sensitivity to like 6400 as per Ken rockwell, the pictures come out too grainy in low light even with the internal flash on.

Please share what ISO Sensitivity Settings do you have ?

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100
JH
19th Jun 2012
jpFoto
19th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jun 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
jammike
19th Jun 2012

JH Basic MemberTue 19-Jun-12 04:30 PM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampere, FI

Hi,

I don't usually use auto ISO but I would say 1600 would be max for me. Shutter speed could be bit slower for you, maybe 1/60 although be careful with 55-200 especially in the long end. Is it the VR version or regular ?

-Janne

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 19-Jun-12 08:10 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 19-Jun-12 08:13 PM by jpFoto

US

Edit: Whoops, I meant to reply to reply #0.

I almost always use Auto-ISO. I think it is the best invention since sliced bread, but I also understand why others feel differently. I don't have the D5100, but I do have a D3200 which has a similar sensor as far as high ISO quality is concerned. I use a maximum ISO sensitivity of 3200 most of the time and feel very comfortable about using 6400 in certain circumstances. I also set my minimum shutter speed to 1/125.

That being said, I can echo what the others have said, qualifying their answers about needing higher shutter speeds for action shots and longer focal length lenses. I also concur with what Marty has said about turning off Auto-ISO, or lowering the maximum setting, when you are using flash since it will almost always choose the highest setting in low light conditions. You might also want to read through a couple of the recent posts about flash and Auto-ISO settings.

Marty is also right about needing an almost perfect exposure at the higher ISO settings.

jP

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 19-Jun-12 05:03 PM
25584 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Manish,

First I will qualify my answer since I don't have a D5100. I don't use Auto ISO either.
I always use the lowest ISO setting possible for the given subject and ambient conditions.
The best settings (both shutter speed and ISO) is dependent on your subject, the focal length you are using, and the ambient conditions. 1/125th sec. is a reasonable minimum shutter speed for general photography but too slow for shooting sports or shooting at focal lengths longer than 100mm or so without VR.

The D5100 should have no problem producing clean images at ISO 1600 or even a little higher if you nail the exposure.

Auto ISO and Flash do not play well together. When you shoot using flash, you should always turn off Auto ISO and set the ISO manually.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 19-Jun-12 07:18 PM
2972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Good advice from Marty.

Also, you will get MUCH better advice here than from Ken Rockwell. Once in a while there is a grain of sense in what he says, but ONLY once in a while.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jammike Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 19-Jun-12 09:07 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

thanks Janne,JP,Marty,CoolMom42,
Both the Lens 18-55mm and 55-200mm are VR.
For sports and higher focal length, I change the shutter speed to 1/500.
That being said, I have set the ISO Sensitivity Settings as follows :

ISO Sensitivity - 100 (base)
Auto ISO Sensitivity - ON
Max Sensitivity - 800

This way it never jumps to more than ISO 800.

regards

Manish

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.