Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6188
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3200 Focus Priority Only ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bass rock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2007Mon 18-Jun-12 10:26 AM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3200 Focus Priority Only ?"

Scotland, GB

A quick question for D3200 users. Can you switch from focus priority to release priority ?

I had a D3100 and it would only use focus priority. Given I prefer to focus using the central focus point and recompose, the camera often refused to take a picture if the central point ended up over an OOF area, or where there was no contrast, like a clear blue sky.

That drove me nuts and I don't want another camera that tries to tell me when I can or can't take a picture !!

I sold the D3100 because of this, although in other respects it was a good camera as a small back-up to my D700.

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

My Website - My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 18-Jun-12 01:28 PM
2895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3200 Focus Priority Only ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Bill, the D3200 only supports focus priority.

If you want Release priority you'll need to move up to the D5100. It supports Focus and Release priority in AF-C mode but not in AF-S.

Your D700 supported Focus and Release priority in AF-S and AF-C mode.

Len

Bass rock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2007Tue 19-Jun-12 06:45 AM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3200 Focus Priority Only ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Scotland, GB

Thanks for the answer, Len.

I guessed as much. I do understand why Nikon want a small, user-friendly DSLR in the range. I just wish that Nikon would also introduce a small, fully-featured camera with matching lenses as well. I don't understand why the body has to physically get bigger to include some features like bracketing and focus modes that are basically software based.

For now, I will keep using my Lumix GH2 m43 camera that has those features in a small body, but I would like it to be a tad bigger and with a DX sensor

Bill

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

My Website - My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.