Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6146
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD Card Help!!" Previous topic | Next topic
gcier34 Registered since 12th Jun 2012Tue 12-Jun-12 02:00 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD Card Help!!"

US

Hi all, I'm new to this site but hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Nikon D3100. While on a recent vacation an error message appeared on the camera stating "The memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card."

The card is a PNY Optima SDHC 4gb class 4 card

This happened once before to me as well with a PNY Professional 8gb class 10 card.

Has this happened to anyone else??

My biggest fear is that my pictures are gone - ARE MY PICTURES ON THE CARD RECOVERABLE??

How can I prevent this in the future??

Any suggestions appreciated. Many thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD Card Help!!
MEMcD Moderator
12th Jun 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
12th Jun 2012
rgsindc
12th Jun 2012
gcier34
13th Jun 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
14th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
15th Jun 2012
paul1208
20th Jun 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
20th Jun 2012
thoang77
21st Jun 2012
rgsindc
21st Jun 2012
thoang77
21st Jun 2012
Brianpore
22nd Jun 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 12-Jun-12 05:38 AM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi George,

Welcome to Nikonians!
First make sure that the locking switch on the card is unlocked.
If that doesn't work, the card is likely corrupted.

Using Image Recovery Software like Rescue Pro from Sandisk should be able to recover the images on you card as long as you don't overwrite them.

I have never had a problem with Sandisk or Hoodman memory cards.
Always format the cards in the camera before using them for the first time and after you download the images to your computer.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 12-Jun-12 01:08 PM
2816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 1

McEwen, US

Good advice above.

I always use SanDisk cards and have never had a problem in any device.

Some smart person here advised me to format the card in the camera after you offload the images, each time.

I also take my images off every day while traveling, AND make an immediate 2nd copy on a jump drive.

Hope you can recover your images.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Tue 12-Jun-12 03:45 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have a 5100 that required a firmware upgrade to accept a 16GB SD card I had (major brand)........you may want to contact Nikon support.

Also conventional wisdom is to have multiple smaller cards (4-8GB)to provide insurance that if a card has issues on a trip, you have sufficient options to complete the trip.

Also if you are shooting video at high resolution, you should invest in class "10" cards for the additional bandwidth/transfer speed.

They can also benefit those shooting RAW/jpg on each shot.

gcier34 Registered since 12th Jun 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 12:14 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for all the good tips. I want to try one of those data recovery software programs to try and recover my pictures. I previously tried a free 'trial' version of 'cardrecovery.com' but it didn't find any recoverable files - I suppose a full version may be better. Can anyone recommend which ones they've been successful with in the past so I don't waste $$ on something that doesn't work.

- Thanks Marty for the 'Rescue Pro' recommendation.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 02:19 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 4

HIXSON, US

Not familiar with PNY's customer support.

In 2005, I spent a day shooting in the Grand Canyon, and part of the night. When I finally made it back to my car with the help of light from my cell phone, a Park Ranger was waiting on me. He just told me good night, and that he had been watching me. I like to shoot after there are absolutely no shadows.

Unfortunately, nearly all my photos were corrupted. A photo might have parts of photos from four different shots. I had a high-end Lexar CF card that required a special reader to connect to a PC. I ended up sending the card to Lexar, and they reconstructed most of the photos for me.

Before you totally destroy your files with some unknown software with which you have no experience, you might want to try PNY & see if they can do that. Otherwise, I would try Rescue Pro. Personally, I would never use anything other than a higher-end SanDisk or Lexar memory card. I currently use SanDisk UHS-1 rated cards in my D7000. Expensive, but cheaper than going back to the Grand Canyon, having the whole wedding party come back & go through the paces (And still look happy), or getting the Super Moon to come out again.

Yes, always format (low level format if possible) the card in your camera. After backing up the photos (I do it to two different places) of course. Test a couple shots to make sure everything is okay, then go capture the world.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 15-Jun-12 02:38 AM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi George,

I have used Rescue Pro by Sandisk several times to recover images from my card and the cards of friends and it worked perfectly.
I think they have a trial version that will recover the images but will not allow you to save them until you buy the software.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

paul1208 Registered since 24th Mar 2012Wed 20-Jun-12 03:49 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 20-Jun-12 03:50 AM by paul1208

US

Hello,

I have a Nikon D5000 and only use Lexar or SanDisk SDHC cards. I also have an Olympus E-P3 with a Promaster SDHC card. I have gotten error message on this Promaster card, and my friend disabled the write-protect lever. Problem stopped.

I don't know about the software programs mentioned in this thread, but I would take card to local camera store and find out if they can extract your photos. Good luck.

I also would use the cards recommended by Nikon in manual. I would not get another promaster card. My computer consultant does not recommend PNY for memory either.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 20-Jun-12 08:36 PM
496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Martinsville, US

D3000 still has the original Kodak SD card I purchased for it when I bought it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

thoang77 Registered since 21st Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 01:32 AM
#9. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I had a quick question. I bought a 2-pack of 8gb Sandisk Ultra SDHC cards earlier today from Costco. They're class 6, but are SDHC I (which would possibly indicate UHS-I cards?) but doesnt have the 1 inside the U logo. They also advertise a 30mb/s speed, which is higher than the usual 20mb/s found on class 6 Sandisk Ultra cards.

Basically my question is, will it be quick enough for my D3100 (haven't gotten it yet, arrives Friday!), specifically for the occasional HD video? I figured it would be quick enough to get the 3FPS burst, but correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Thu 21-Jun-12 03:28 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 9

US

The HC in SDHC stands for high capacity which simply means that because of the capacity, the card needs an additional address line and thus a reader that supports HC, as well.

A "6" should be OK, if you take relatively short video clips, but I would test them first by starting a video and letting it record for 10 minutes to see if the card can keep up.

thoang77 Registered since 21st Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 06:20 PM
#11. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Right, I'm aware that HC stands for high capacity, but there seems to be variability between class 6 Sandisk cards. Observe here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61a6AhQXcEL.jpg

Notice the 3 sandisk Ultra cards on the top right. Card 1 (middle of row) is a class 6, claiming 20mb/s, however the one adjacent to it on the right is a class 6 claiming 30mb/s (notice the I, or roman numeral 1 next to the SDHC logo), and the one next to that is a class 10 with the same speed rating.

Here's what I found regarding the uppercase i

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/sd-cards-branded-with-an-upper-case-i-are-faster-yo/

but then I find this https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/

Which states UHS and speed class are not compatible, but the sandisk cards lack the UHS-1 class logo (1 inside a U)

I'm just really confused to what speed my card really is

Brianpore Registered since 21st Jun 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 01:22 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SD Card Help!!"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Just purchased this card for under $20 seems like you can't go wrong...
Get it in a few days, so will let you know how it works

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037FLUYU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_SC_3p_dp_1

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6146 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.