Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6123
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 images look pink" Previous topic | Next topic
TheThinkingMom Registered since 08th Jun 2012Fri 08-Jun-12 02:58 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 images look pink"

US

I just received my Nikon D5100 yesterday & after shooting a couple hundred photos I noticed quite a few have a pink cast to them. I switched the white balance to incandescent which helped some of the time, but in others made it worse. I've been using the Nikon D3000, so this was to be an upgrade, but so far I think the photos on my D3000 have better color. Any ideas? Do you think this is a problem with the D5100 or I just got a bad one? Debating if I want to keep it or just return it & go back to my D3000.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink
blw Moderator
08th Jun 2012
aolander Silver Member
08th Jun 2012
TheThinkingMom
08th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Jun 2012
aolander Silver Member
09th Jun 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
09th Jun 2012
TheThinkingMom
09th Jun 2012
TheThinkingMom
09th Jun 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
10th Jun 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Jun 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 08-Jun-12 06:11 PM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

First, how are you viewing these? On the LCD on the camera, or on a computer? If on the computer, is the display calibrated?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 08-Jun-12 06:18 PM
3237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 1

Nevis, US

There are quite a few settings that could affect the color. The D5100 is quite a bit more camera than the D3000, so I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of it.

Where were the photos taken that were pink and what WB did you have set? What are the Picture Control settings? Can you post a couple of photos? And, as Brian asked, how are you viewing the images?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TheThinkingMom Registered since 08th Jun 2012Fri 08-Jun-12 07:40 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The images look pink both on the camera LCD and my computer (iPhoto), which is not calibrated. The photos were taken indoors in the evening. I went between auto white balance & incandescent, with the problem happening sporadically (maybe in 1/3 of the photos) in either setting.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 09-Jun-12 03:21 PM
25924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Katelyn,

Welcome to Nikonians!
We're there any red or pink walls or ceiling in the room that you were shooting in?
Light reflecting off of a colored wall or ceiling can project a color cast.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 09-Jun-12 12:44 AM
3237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It's probably just a WB issue. Auto WB can mess up sometimes and give you different looking images when they were all taken in similar surroundings. Were there any florescent lights on in the room?

WB is easily changed when editing if your shoot RAW. Not as easily if you shoot JPEG.

Alan

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sat 09-Jun-12 04:12 AM
3004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 4

McEwen, US

Were you using a flash?

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

TheThinkingMom Registered since 08th Jun 2012Sat 09-Jun-12 12:49 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 5

US

no flash. Was shooting with my 35 mm 1.8

TheThinkingMom Registered since 08th Jun 2012Sat 09-Jun-12 09:45 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Also, I feel like the images from my 5100 are less sharp than the 3000. The ISO is considerably better, but seems to lose some sharpness

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 10-Jun-12 03:06 AM
3004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 9

McEwen, US

OK I have seen that look on indoor shots with no flash. It seems to be a combination of white balance settings combined with underexposure in low lighting conditions. Your lack of sharpness may be due to longer exposure times.

If you are shooting indoors with only normal room lighting you will need to use a flash, almost 100% of the time.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 09-Jun-12 03:27 PM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Nikon D5100 images look pink"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

Since I don't have a 5100 I have a 3000 instead (bought 2 days before the 3100 hit the market typical of my dumb luck).

But in The WB settings on the the 3000 there are three Florescent settings.
Warm White , Cool White and Daylight. Then the are the settings for Out Doors, Flash night time and so on.

If the Pictures are pinkish set for Cool white or daylight instead. if the have a Blueish cast then set for Warm White or Daylight. Cool white add a little extra Blue, Warm White a little extra Pink. And Daylight mimics sunlight.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6123 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.