nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Useability of D5100 for more serious work.

Matto

Glenwood, US
680 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007
Wed 06-Jun-12 03:46 PM

I am looking for a lighter camera set up than my D300 and D90. I am considering the Olympus OMD E M5 and the D5100. The Olympus seems to be in the class of my D300 in terms of durable body and capabilty, but is expensive, is not available, and I would need new lenses. I just bought a D5100 as an alternative, as the D5100 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses would make a good, light, kit. However, just spending a little time with the D5100 I have some reservations. I am used to easily setting focus point, ISO, and white balance quickly with the D300, and even with my D90. It appears the this is going to be a lot slower with the D5100, as I can only set the function button to set either ISO or white balance, and must dive into the menu to set the other two. Have any D5100 users found this to be an issue? I like the camera, it is small and light. The image quality is very good, and I like the moveable LCD. It is much better than the P&S cameras I have, but I am not sure I will be happy with it, as I am not certain yet if I am getting a very good upgrade over a P&S or a camera that will turn out to be a light but frustrating to use substitute for my other DSLRs. For example, I was taking photographs of my son's grade school graduation last night, and used my D300, SB400 flash, and 18-200 VR lens. For this event this set up was pretty heavy to carry around for several hours ,and the D5100 would have be an improvement, However, the D5100 won't work with the SB400 (or my SB600), and I will need to buy another flash. I also realized that the D5100 would have caused me to lose several pictures because I couldn't have changed settings quickly.
How do some of the Nikonian users of the D5100 feel about its limits and what do they use it for?

Matthew

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work.

G