Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6096
View in linear mode

Subject: "Useability of D5100 for more serious work." Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 06-Jun-12 03:46 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Useability of D5100 for more serious work."

Glenwood, US

I am looking for a lighter camera set up than my D300 and D90. I am considering the Olympus OMD E M5 and the D5100. The Olympus seems to be in the class of my D300 in terms of durable body and capabilty, but is expensive, is not available, and I would need new lenses. I just bought a D5100 as an alternative, as the D5100 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses would make a good, light, kit. However, just spending a little time with the D5100 I have some reservations. I am used to easily setting focus point, ISO, and white balance quickly with the D300, and even with my D90. It appears the this is going to be a lot slower with the D5100, as I can only set the function button to set either ISO or white balance, and must dive into the menu to set the other two. Have any D5100 users found this to be an issue? I like the camera, it is small and light. The image quality is very good, and I like the moveable LCD. It is much better than the P&S cameras I have, but I am not sure I will be happy with it, as I am not certain yet if I am getting a very good upgrade over a P&S or a camera that will turn out to be a light but frustrating to use substitute for my other DSLRs. For example, I was taking photographs of my son's grade school graduation last night, and used my D300, SB400 flash, and 18-200 VR lens. For this event this set up was pretty heavy to carry around for several hours ,and the D5100 would have be an improvement, However, the D5100 won't work with the SB400 (or my SB600), and I will need to buy another flash. I also realized that the D5100 would have caused me to lose several pictures because I couldn't have changed settings quickly.
How do some of the Nikonian users of the D5100 feel about its limits and what do they use it for?

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work.
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Jun 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
Matto Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
07th Jun 2012
kartane
06th Jun 2012
Matto Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
dyfed0_0
07th Jun 2012
drmanubmengi
07th Jun 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
07th Jun 2012
Matto Silver Member
07th Jun 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
07th Jun 2012
dyfed0_0
07th Jun 2012
meat
09th Jun 2012
Gandalfsfoto
17th Jun 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Jun 2012
Gandalfsfoto
22nd Jun 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 06-Jun-12 04:49 PM
2710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Both the SB400 and the SB600 work fine with my D5100. You don't need another flash. Either a setting is set wrong or your D5100 has a problem. Check into it.

I have no problem at all using the D5100. I find changing settings pretty easy. While I change ISO frequently the other settings not so much. Pressing the"i" button and scrolling down is pretty quick. Just spend a little more time with it and it pretty much becomes second nature.

I use my D5100 for nature, macro, birds and as a body for my non-AI manual focus lenses. Except for infrequent family gatherings I seldom take photos of people. I don't have any little ones around the house. Even my grand kids are in college.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 06-Jun-12 07:20 PM
2802 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 1

McEwen, US

>Both the SB400 and the SB600 work fine with my D5100. You
>don't need another flash. Either a setting is set wrong or
>your D5100 has a problem. Check into it.
>
>I have no problem at all using the D5100. I find changing
>settings pretty easy. While I change ISO frequently the other
>settings not so much. Pressing the"i" button and
>scrolling down is pretty quick. Just spend a little more time
>with it and it pretty much becomes second nature.
>
>
>
>Len
>
>
I agree with this---these controls are the same as the ones on my D3100 and I can change the ISO or other settings really quickly since I've practiced.

Your flashes should work fine, too.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Wed 06-Jun-12 05:51 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

SB400 and SB600 work fine on the D5100.
Program the Fn button to give quick access to whatever you need most, and you will get used to using the Info button and jumping through the menu quickly.

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 06-Jun-12 07:41 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 2

Glenwood, US

Thanks for the replies so far. I read in the camera specs that the SB400 and SB600 were not on the list of compatible flash units. Is there some function they don't support? Or is the list in error? I have to try the units on the D5100.

Matthew

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 06-Jun-12 09:56 PM
2710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 4

US

In the instruction manual on page 229 under flash control it lists TTL flash models SB900, SB800, SB700, SB600 and SB400.

Page 204 lists these same flashes under the CLS compatible flash units.

You might have looked at the non-TTL flash list.

Len

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 07-Jun-12 02:40 PM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Matthew,

The D5100 is fully compatible with both the SB-400 and SB-600 supporting all functions when in the D5100's hotshoe or attached by SC-: 17, 28, or 29 TTL extension cord.
Since the D5100 doesn't have Commander mode in the built in Speedlight an SB 00, 800, 900, 910, or SU-800 would have to be in the hotshoe to use CLS wireless flash control.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012Wed 06-Jun-12 10:10 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 06-Jun-12 10:44 PM by kartane

AU

Stay Nikon and use the D300. Sorry if this doesn't solve the weight issue.

2 years ago I got the D5000 and loved it. A year ago I brought the 5100 to fix my {AE-L/AF-L} focus/exposure issues. It still didn't work the way I wanted it to. Happy this year because my D800 has separate focus and exposure buttons, like your D300.

Use {i} button to enter the screen mode to change:
1) Metering mode
2) Focus mode
3) AF- Area type
4) Bracketing
What a pain, these are so hidden there isn't even a menu item for them. And you already missed photos because of the time taken to change the D5100's menu settings.

The older Nikon's use AV out. You can simulate the D5100's articulated screen on your D300 by using a stand alone hand held DVD player or TV. Or Ebay a new battery powered LCD screen for under $100. Doesn't work for the newer Nikon's because they use HDMI output.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

/Edit: Spelling and grammar.

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 06-Jun-12 11:31 PM
#7. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 6

Glenwood, US

Colin
I wasn't reading the instructions carefully, I just assumed that to set the camera to choose the focus selection point was a menu entry under AF. The "i" button is new to me and I didn't look into how it works. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to try the camera and assumed that the layout of the controls was similar to the other Nikon DSLR cameras I had used. I also got the flash information from the data on the Adorama website, which I also probably misread. The D5100 is nice in that it is light, but it isn't really that small with the 18-55 VR lens. This point was brought home to me by my stopping at one of the few remaining cameras stores in my area this afternoon. While there I asked about the Olympus OM D E-M5, and to my delight (maybe misfortune!) one of the clerks had his personal Olympus with him at the store, and demonstrated it to me. It seemed to me to make the D5100 with the 18-55 VR lens look huge by comparison. It is be nicely made, and a little bit lighter than the Nikon. It is also nearly twice the price, and most likely will present a steeper learning experience (at least to me) than the D5100 if I choose to go with it instead of the Nikon.

Matthew

dyfed0_0 Registered since 31st Mar 2012Thu 07-Jun-12 04:09 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 7

Bangor, GB

Hi there,

Obviously, I dont know your limitations in size and weight etc. but I have two D300's (one for normal, no hazrds to the camera and the other for go anywhere, dust times) but more importantly, I have a D5000 (handy articulated screen for macro work and going down low or holding it high in a crowd) which is more or less the same size and weight and it works great with my SB-600.

I am sure everyone here will agree that Nikons build quality is spot on, Olympus on the othr hand, the wife bought a compact before XMas (even though I nagged her to get a Nikon) the build quality was awful, I had seen a better screen on a kids digital toy computer.... sure enough, she exchanged it for a nikon.

Now I know it was a compact, but, the name it carried spoke volumes to me and even though I am a Nikon man anyway, I wouldnt change, not even to Canon after the Father in Law's 350D circuit Board failed after a year and cost him £150 to get it repaired.

Stick with the D5100, the controls are easy to use, you have the Expeed 2 engine inside and a 16.2 MP CMOS sensor and the articulated screen that can be used for high or low work without doing harm to your back.

Hope the above helps?

Dyf

drmanubmengi Registered since 14th May 2012Thu 07-Jun-12 09:04 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 7

IN

Hi,

From my point of view,, a very short & precise answer.

Nikon, Nikon & only Nikon.

Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography & Nikon.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 07-Jun-12 01:48 PM
#10. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 7

US

Matthew, yes the Olympus is smaller than the D5100. But it is a 4/3rds camera with a much smaller sensor. I would certainly not dissuade you from getting the Olympus. You should get what you are comfortable with. But do yourself a favor and read the reviews on the camera and available lenses before you make the decision. There are advantages and disadvantages to the 4/3rds system.

Len

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Thu 07-Jun-12 04:32 PM
#12. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 10

Glenwood, US

Len
Thanks for your reply. I am in a quandry about the D5100 and getting something smaller, if not much lighter. I looked at an Oly EM-5 in a store and was impressed by it's compact size. With a 14-42mm lens, it weighs only a little less than the D5100 with a 18-55 VR lens, but it is much smaller. It could easily fit in a fanny pack or a small belt bag. If I chose a fixed focal length lens, there are some pancake lenses that are even smaller. The Oly seems sturdy (at least as good as a V1), and it supposedly has better moisture protection and a metal body. The sensor seems plenty good enough from reviews I have seem, but it is not as good as the larger one in the D5100. I am somewhat reluctant to buy into a new system, and there surely will be a learning curve with it. But I while find the D5100 to be less intuitive than I thought, I suppose I can get it soon enough. The D5100 isn't to be a repacememt for my D300 or D90, but a supplement for those times when I don't want to lug around the heavier bodies, but I just want to have a lighter camera for casual use. I want a camera that has a viewfinder and doen't have the annoying shutter lag and fussy menus of my P&S cameras. On the other hand the lenses I would usually take with my D300 or D90 are large and heavy (18-200VR, 16-85VR, or 70-300VR, putting on the 18-55 VR doesn't save enough weight), and some of the 4/3 lenses that have equivalent FOVs are lighter and more compact. Another consideration is cost. The Oly with a 14-42mm lens is near twice the price of the D5100 body alone. Maybe I should just return the D5100 and wait and see what becomes available later.

Matthew

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 07-Jun-12 05:05 PM
#13. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 12

US

Now I got it. I thought you were looking at it as your main body. My main camera is a D3X so my D5100 is my light weight walk around body. If you have reservations about the D5100 then it might make sense to return it.

Len

dyfed0_0 Registered since 31st Mar 2012Thu 07-Jun-12 05:22 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 13

Bangor, GB

Hi there,

Im with you now..... but I dont think opting for an Olympus is the answer for three reasons which you have already quoted two..... the cost, especially with the lens (where you already have Nikon Lenses), the massive learning curve with a totally new system, at least the D5100 is basically the same as the D300.... just that the Buttons are more practical.... and thirdly, my reservation is the reliability and build quality of an Olympus.

This might sound odd, I bought a Nikon S6100 compact which boasts a 16MP sensor and even in Auto, takes a decent image, even better if fiddling the settings. Just a tip I picked up from reading books where some Pro's carry compacts for image records but Ive taken it a step further and use it in places where cameras are not really allowed.

Just an idea, and a massive saving as well until something comes up from the Nikon Stable!

Dyf

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Sat 09-Jun-12 12:04 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 14

US

I don't really think you can base the reliability and build quality of Olympus based on a P&S. The new OMD-5 is a slick camera, but it is expensive. As Leonard said, there are some advantages and disadvantages of the micro 4/3s system.

The Sony NEX series may be another alternative for a small interchangeable lens camera with a bigger sensor, but you would have to buy other lenses also.

Gandalfsfoto Registered since 18th Feb 2012Sun 17-Jun-12 01:42 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 17-Jun-12 04:45 AM by Gandalfsfoto

DK

I have just bought the Olympus M5 with the lenses Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 - both lenses gets very, very fine reviews, and with the Panasonic,..... it can stay in my pocket (jacket), and that was the reason I bought it, because it should also be a camera with very fine image quality according to test/reviews - if you use good lenses, and those lenses mentioned here should be much better, than the kit-lens, so I skipped the kit-lens.

Since 2004/2005 I have only shot with Nikon DSLRS, and now I have D3x, D7000 and D40 (Infrared converted), and the way Nikon does the thing - menus, handling,ease of use is so very fine for me,whatever Nikon DSLR it is, so I have to use some time to learn this new baby to know and to use it properly.

It is NOT the way Nikon does the menus, and that I miss, and I have to use much more time to learn the camera, and I am certainly not finished yet, all is not so userfriendly, or perhaps it is just me, who is long time Nikon-user, but there are some other features, that are really good, and others could learn from that, and when you have learned all the settings (I have not yet) you can customize the camera.

I can say,with a gran of salt, because it is still new for me, - just got it 2 days ago, that the picture quality looks like close or equal to my D7000 (but of course not for sports or fast movings, here the DSLR.s wins)and the single AF for still pictures is very fast and for the time being I can say also very precise.

It looks like the vibration reduction - in-camera - also works very well. It gives a lille sound, even when you not use it, but it does not bother me.

The Olympus dust removal system is tested to be the very best - according to a test I read some time ago, where all the well known brands very testet - can not remember the nameof the site,

There was one site who calls it the very best 4/3 camera over all others, even over the Nex:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403406,00.asp

but I think this review here is more in dept, buy they also call it very good (gold reward):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/22

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 22-Jun-12 06:58 AM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 16

Monterey Bay, US

I used my D5100 for everything when I had it.
Walk around, Landscape, and Sports Events.
I especially like shooting 1080p at 30fps with the swivel LCD.
What I did not like was the lack of a lock on the multiselector.
I let it go when I got my D800 because the batteries and SD cards match on my V1 and D7000.

If you want a smaller lighter walk around setup, get a Nikon 1.
That's what I have my V1 for, and with an adapter I can use all my Nikkors.
I can fit a V1 with 10-30CX lens in my large pockets.

Gandalfsfoto Registered since 18th Feb 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 11:39 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Useability of D5100 for more serious work."
In response to Reply # 17

DK

http://breningstall.typepad.com/breningstall-on-typepad/2012/03/battle-of-the-cameras-thom-hogan-calls-the-olympus-e-m5-over-the-fuji-x-pro1.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6096 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.