Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6058
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't get composing screen on the folding monitor" Previous topic | Next topic
OldFlyBoy Registered since 28th May 2007Fri 01-Jun-12 10:33 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can't get composing screen on the folding monitor"

US

I have a Nikon D-5100 I am trying to learn to use properly. I have been trying to set it up but after trying to set the proper menues, I have hit a snag. I have lost the ability to see what the lens sees on the monitor it was there but after trying to properly set menue choices it just doesn't have the images for composeing a shot. The eye level finder works perfectly but not the monitor. I can get views of pictures showing exposure profiles, enlargements, etc. I have tried and tried to restore the image during composing but no luck. I am pretty sure it is something simple but what??? Can anyone help me? Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 02-Jun-12 12:20 AM
3294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can't get composing screen on the folding monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

DSLR cameras are not Point & Shoot cameras in that they do not have constant viewing using the monitor. You have to select "Live View" to do that. The viewfinder is used in most/many picture taking situations.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 02-Jun-12 01:04 AM
26397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can't get composing screen on the folding monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

On the top of the camera next to the mode dial, rotate the Live View switch towards the back of the camera. That will get the camera in Live View mode.

While Live View can be very useful in some situations, holding the camera out in front of you can cause blurry images due to camera shake. When you hold the camera up to your eye when using the viewfinder the camera will be much more stable therefore reducing the possability of blur due to camera shake.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 02-Jun-12 07:53 PM
26397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can't get composing screen on the folding monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Do you mean the Image Review feature, that displays the image on the LCD after the image is captured?

If you see the image with the histogram or shooting information superimposed over the image and you want to see just the image press the up or down keys on the Multi-selector button on the back of the camera until you see the image only. See page 123-129 in the D5100 Users Manual.

If the image doesn't appear on the LCD after you release the shutter, go into the Playback Menu in the camera and highlight Image Review.
Then set Image Review to On.
The next time you release the shutter, the image will be shown on the LCD.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6058 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.