Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6035
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strange AF focus point choices" Previous topic | Next topic
TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Tue 29-May-12 08:08 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Strange AF focus point choices"
Tue 29-May-12 10:23 PM by TBF

US

I recently shot several score photos of a friend's child in my back yard in good afternoon backlighting with my 5100 and a 28-300. Most shots were at base ISO, 50-200mm with the aperture wide open for the focal length. I was reasonably happy with the results, but thought that the focus could have been sharper. When I looked at NX2 Focal Point choices (All at taken at AF-A and Auto) I was rather shocked to see that the face was almost never chosen as a focal point no matter where in the frame it was located. From reading K R and T H I had come to believe the "truism" that Nikon AF, with its color sensitive algorithm would seek out and focus on the face. Not so in this case. Can anyone out there explain this? Thanks in advance: the community on these forums is a marvelous resource for photographers. Tom Forker TBF
UPDATE: Screen Caps don't seem to work so I photographed the monitor and posted it to my gallery
UPDATE; Just now it only seems to come up under Focusing Issues in the Gallery Search

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 30-May-12 10:24 AM
2986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Strange AF focus point choices"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

AF-A is not dependable if you want a specific object in focus. I don't know what the algorithm does or is supposed to do. It seems to me that it picks the most "prominent" thing in the scene, whatever that is.

But anytime I want a face in focus, I use single point focus & exposure. Then move the focus point as needed to focus exactly on the eyes. Yes, this can be difficult with a child. But it will get you a better % of properly focused and exposed photos.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 30-May-12 07:37 PM
2955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Strange AF focus point choices"
In response to Reply # 1

Hatboro, Pa, US

Good point, Diane. That's the way I would do it.

But as an experiment, because of this thread, I tried it. When using the viewfinder with AF-A and Auto, facial recognition worked maybe once in 5 or 6 shots. Otherwise the focus point was all over the place and in multiple places.

It was better in LiveView as when you acquired facial recognition focus the focus square would show on the screen and on the face. It's pretty slow though and not designed to chase little kids around. This is the first time I used face recognition and while I find it's easy to set up it's not very reliable. Diane has the right idea.

Len

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Thu 31-May-12 04:39 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Strange AF focus point choices"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks to both of you for your responses. The photos were, in general, pretty sharp given the relatively wide open aperture and the odd choice of focus points. Because these were not strictly "portraits" but rather "child playing on lawn with dog", I wrongly assumed that the focus system would at least choose the face as one of the focus points. And given what I have read about the Nikon AF system I find it quite remarkable That the eye is never chosen as a focus point and that in only 2 out of 40 "keepers" is a part of the face within one of the focus points. Another observation is that in about 15% of the shots NX2 shows NO focus points: not sure whether this is absence of camera data or NX2 failure.
I have used the live view system with good success on stationary subjects but with moving targets I much prefer the viewfinder. I think I have read that some of the more expensive FX cameras have rather more visible focus points that light as the camera follows a chosen subject. Next similar opportunity I will be using single point AF as I usually do for wildlife. Tom

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Fri 01-Jun-12 09:16 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Strange AF focus point choices"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree, the only "sure" result is to select point focus or chose an aperture that has a sufficient DOF to include your subjects.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6035 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.