Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5984
View in linear mode

Subject: "5200 soon???" Previous topic | Next topic
swisherlicious Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 03:01 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"5200 soon???"

FR

Hi,
My faithful D70S has finally died and I'd like to buy a new DSLR fairly quickly. I'm leaning towards the D5100, but would be willing to wait a bit if there will be a D5200 soon. Does anyone have any info on the D5200? Thanks. Have a great day one and all. Phil

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 5200 soon???
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2012
swisherlicious
24th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2012
swisherlicious
24th May 2012
swisherlicious
24th May 2012
adamruef
24th May 2012
swisherlicious
24th May 2012
adamruef
25th May 2012
suzyk Silver Member
25th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
25th May 2012
suzyk Silver Member
25th May 2012
swisherlicious
25th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
25th May 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
27th May 2012
drmanubmengi
27th May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
27th May 2012
Bluebird Annie
27th Sep 2012
Covey22 Moderator
27th Sep 2012
Bluebird Annie
01st Oct 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-May-12 03:57 PM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Phil,

Nikon is very good at keeping secrets.
The latest rumor is that there are two new bodies that will be introduced by the end of the year. If it is true and that is a big IF, what the bodies will be and when they will be introduced is anybodies guess.

Anyone that does know will have signed a non-discloser agreement and can not say.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons.

Best Regards,
Marty

swisherlicious Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 04:04 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 1

FR

Hi Marty,
So I guess they'll wait until Black Friday when people start their Christmas shopping.
Phil

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-May-12 04:25 PM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Phil,

It might be tommorow or it might be next year.
There is talk of a D600 FX body.
The D300s is getting very old too, though some speculate there won't be a D400. We won't know until Nikon makes the official introduction.
If you have any AF-D screwdriver type lenses you might want to consider the D90 or D7000, since both have AF motors built into the camera body. They also have Commander mode built in. The D5100 does not.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-May-12 04:27 PM
#4. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Phil,

BTW:

Welcome to Nikonians!

Best Regards,
Marty

swisherlicious Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 04:37 PM
#5. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 4

FR

Hi Marty,
I bought a Nikon - Nikkor AF-S f/3.5-5.6G IF ED VR II a few years ago, and basically use it most of the time.
Phil

swisherlicious Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 05:15 PM
#6. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 5

FR

Thanks very much for your help Marty. Have a great day!
Phil

adamruef Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 10:49 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

First post - please be kind!

Just bought a D5100 and can't imagine having more features to learn. Also, I checked the release dates and the 5000 was April 2009, 5100 was April 2011. I'd bet the 5200 is another year out, and if they change the display again, I'd rather have the 5100. I've been shooting Canons since I went digital and got hooked on the fully articulating screen right off. Candids are Sooo easy, since half the time people think I'm chipping when I'm still shooting!

Anyway, thanks to Russ McDonald for steering me toward Nikon. My first 1,000 frames are nearly all winners, and I've only had the camera since Sunday!

Summary - don't put off a Nikon you can purchase today. Just do it!

Adam

swisherlicious Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 10:59 PM
#8. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 7

FR

First off, welcome aboard Adam. Thanks for your input. I've pretty much decided to go and get the 5100 this weekend. My wife and I are driving off on vacation in a few days and the thought of just standing by with my hands in my pockets while she's taking photos is just too much.
Phil

adamruef Registered since 24th May 2012Fri 25-May-12 12:54 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Almost forgot - there is a bundle promotion running through Sunday for $150 off on the body w/18-55 lens and another $100 off the 55-200 when purchased at the same time. I got all three for $850 at Best Buy last weekend! Good luck!

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Fri 25-May-12 11:11 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 7

near Hobart, AU

Hey Adam,

Welcome to Nikonians.

Congratulations on the D5100. Sounds like you are enjoying it.

Cheers,
Suzy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 25-May-12 06:03 PM
#13. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Adam,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5100.

Best Regards,
Marty

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Fri 25-May-12 11:09 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Hey Phil,

Welcome to Nikonians.

I agree with Adam and you do too it seems. May as well get another camera and get back out there.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Suzy

swisherlicious Registered since 24th May 2012Fri 25-May-12 04:16 PM
#12. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 10

FR

Hi Suzy,
Just got back from the store with my D5100. Will charge the battery and start shooting tomorrow.
Have a great day.
Phil

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 25-May-12 06:05 PM
#14. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Phil,

Congratulations on your new D5100.
Have a great vacation and Enjoy your new camera.

Best Regards,
Marty

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 27-May-12 05:23 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: 5200 soon???"

HIXSON, US

If you like the articulating monitor, you've probably got the best. I got one last year, and was disappointed with the monitor. All I could see was my reflection. That ain't pretty!

I had to pull the trigger on a D7000. Couldn't wait for the bugs to get worked out of & the availability to resolve for the D800. I need something that I can really learn to use that is past the bug stage in time to use all summer as I travel. I also needed something for a wedding shoot on 5/5/2012.

I'm expecting a D7200 announcement before the end of the year.

I expect the D5200 & D7200 to have 24MP, and a better high-end video. It's possible that the battery problem is holding up the availability of the D800, and the introduction of the D7200. But what do I know?

Enjoy the D5100. I got some good shots of Balds & Bears in Alaska last summer with mine.

drmanubmengi Registered since 14th May 2012Sun 27-May-12 07:28 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: 5200 soon???"

IN

Congrats for buying the new camera

But tell me did you sleep properly at night with the "NEW CAMERA" in your house? I Cannot.
I would have charged the battery & shot some night scenes & only then i could have slept properly.

I hope you enjoy your new camera.
Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 27-May-12 02:08 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 16

Monterey Bay, US

Nikon just released the D3200 and the Rumors are 80%+ that the next camera will be the D600FX.
I would expect the D300 to be upgraded before the D5100.

Bluebird Annie Registered since 04th Aug 2012Thu 27-Sep-12 03:07 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 17

Chicago, US

So, now I'm hearing the D5100 is being de-commissioned. A long-time career camera salesman told me over a month ago that Nikon was indicating "Sepember" for release of the D5200.

I want my D5200! The CoolPix 775 ist kaput!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 27-Sep-12 06:33 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Given that it's now almost October and Photokina 2012 has come and gone, I suspect the D5200 will be a PMA 2013 (Q1) announcement. Announcing it during the Holidays but not making it available will cannibalize current stock and clearance sales.

For what it's worth, the D3100 is on sale with an 18-55 VR for less than 500 bucks. That's a heck of a price for a very good camera, even though it's been supplanted by the D3200. Or look around - the more popular/reliable online retailers have refurbished models going for much less than that. I picked up my D3100 that way; I already have lenses and accessories - it was a steal at under 300 bucks.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Bluebird Annie Registered since 04th Aug 2012Mon 01-Oct-12 04:34 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: 5200 soon???"
In response to Reply # 19

Chicago, US

Your rationale is sound. So, no D5200 under my Christmas tree.

Good suggestions about alternatives.

Thanks!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5984 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.