nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5981
View in linear mode

Subject: "55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm" Previous topic | Next topic
vinumsv   Chennai, IN  Registered since 24th May 2012 Thu 24-May-12 08:40 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm"

Hi Friends,

I recently bought a new 55-300mm lens for my D5100 to expand my range but i am new to SLR Photography and while i was testing out video modes

with the following settings

Mode : P
AF-F Mode
Normal Area AF

and heard a weird noise or focusing problems .. could it be just my lens or its universal or do i need to ask for a replacement ?

Please Watch the YouTube Video i posted (start from 1m)

http://youtu.be/OsuRctjSvm8?t=1m

Thanks in Advance
Vinu

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
24th May 2012
Reply message RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm vinumsv
24th May 2012
     Reply message RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
24th May 2012
          Reply message RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm vinumsv
25th May 2012
25th May 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library   Hatboro, Pa, US  Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009 Thu 24-May-12 04:17 PM
3614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

Do you have VR on? If so turn it off.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vinumsv   Chennai, IN  Registered since 24th May 2012 Thu 24-May-12 07:02 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 24-May-12 07:10 PM by vinumsv

Oh , Yes VR Was On , so its not recommend to have VR On while shooting videos using D5100 ? also is this expected ?

btw thanks for the reply

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library   Hatboro, Pa, US  Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009 Thu 24-May-12 10:32 PM
3614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm"
In response to Reply # 2

You should be able to leave VR on but turn it off to make sure it's not the problem.

OK. I just used my D5100 and AFS 18-55mm lens to take a movie. If I am very close the way you are my camera/lens makes the same noise as yours when the scene is not in focus. It's hunting. It won't chatter like that if you use manual focus or in AF if you make a movie at a reasonable distance from the object and keep the scene in focus. It will take some practice. Also since your built in mic is so close to your lens it's picking up and magnifying the noise.

There is nothing wrong with your camera or lens just your technique.

Len

vinumsv   Chennai, IN  Registered since 24th May 2012 Fri 25-May-12 05:55 AM
#4. "RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm"
In response to Reply # 3

Just what i thought so ,, I suck @ this

thanks man... sigh

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library   Hatboro, Pa, US  Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009 Fri 25-May-12 12:33 PM
#5. "RE: 55-300mm lens / D5100 camera focus probelm"
In response to Reply # 4

>Just what i thought so ,, I suck @ this
>
>thanks man... sigh
>
Don't be hard on yourself. It's a learning process for all of us. Just keep at it. Actually by trying to duplicate your problem I learned something new as well.

Len

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #5981 Previous topic | Next topic