Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5942
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 numbering scheme issues" Previous topic | Next topic
btreguier Registered since 21st May 2012Mon 21-May-12 10:16 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 numbering scheme issues"
Mon 21-May-12 10:18 AM by btreguier

FR

Hi there,

I'm quite new to this site, but have already browsed a few messages, and I think I'm quite likely to get an answer to my question here.

Here is my problem:

I began to use my camera, as everyone, without fully reading through the user's manual. So I was a bit puzzled when I saw that my camera, at some point, had created another folder on the SD card, and restarted numbering photos from 0001 in the new folder. It didn't bother me immediately, but I thought that I'd however be better off if I could avoid filename "collisions". So here is what I recently did to (try to) correct the problem:

After saving my SD card on a hard disk, I made a litte script to rename the files so that their sequence numbers would be correct (I had 3 folders on my SD card: 100D5100, 101D5100, and 102D5100).

Now, I still have 3 folders on the SD card, but each DSC file has a unique number, the highest one being located in the last (102D5100) folder. So far, so good.

I also switched the d3 option: "File number sequence", to "ON". According to the documentation, when this option is on, the highest file number on the card is checked, and the next available one is used.

However, when I try to use that configuration, it seems that the highest file number on the SD card is not taken into account: a new folder is systematically created (so, here: 103D5100), and the numbering restarts from 0001 !

Does anyone have an explanation regarding that issue ? As far as I know, the file number (or name) itself is not part of the EXIF metadata, so I thought renaming the files would be sufficient to "fool" the camera and make it use the next sequence number... Apparently not.

Any idea regarding that issue ? Am I doomed ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Bruno

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues
MEMcD Moderator
21st May 2012
btreguier
21st May 2012
JosephK Silver Member
21st May 2012
btreguier
21st May 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
21st May 2012
btreguier
22nd May 2012
daiqngo
06th Aug 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 21-May-12 03:01 PM
26428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bruno,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>After saving my SD card on a hard disk, I made a litte script
>to rename the files so that their sequence numbers would be
>correct (I had 3 folders on my SD card: 100D5100, 101D5100,
>and 102D5100).
>
>Now, I still have 3 folders on the SD card, but each DSC file
>has a unique number, the highest one being located in the last
>(102D5100) folder. So far, so good.

The camera will not recognize changes made to image files (including numbering) not made in the camera.

>I also switched the d3 option: "File number
>sequence", to "ON". According to the
>documentation, when this option is on, the highest file number
>on the card is checked, and the next available one is used.

Again, the camera will only recognize image file numbers created in the camera. When you modified the file names, the camera lost the ability to read them.

>However, when I try to use that configuration, it seems that
>the highest file number on the SD card is not taken into
>account: a new folder is systematically created (so, here:
>103D5100), and the numbering restarts from 0001 !

That is what I would expect the camera to do in that situation. In other words: the camera is working as it was designed to.
Now that you have File Number Sequence set to ON, the camera will continue to number the image files sequentially until it reaches DSC_9999, then it will create a new folder and reset to DSC_0001 again.

>Does anyone have an explanation regarding that issue ?

See above.

>As far
>as I know, the file number (or name) itself is not part of the
>EXIF metadata, so I thought renaming the files would be
>sufficient to "fool" the camera and make it use the
>next sequence number... Apparently not.

The camera is not easily fooled.

>Any idea regarding that issue ? Am I doomed ?

No!!! The camera is working normally.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

btreguier Registered since 21st May 2012Mon 21-May-12 03:44 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 21-May-12 03:45 PM by btreguier

FR

>Hi Bruno,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!

Hi MEMcD, thanks a lot !

>The camera will not recognize changes made to image files
>(including numbering) not made in the camera.
>
>>I also switched the d3 option: "File number
>>sequence", to "ON". According to the
>>documentation, when this option is on, the highest file
>number
>>on the card is checked, and the next available one is
>used.
>
>Again, the camera will only recognize image file numbers
>created in the camera. When you modified the file names, the
>camera lost the ability to read them.

Thanks for that answer, but it still reads them without any problem, in fact. I'm only having a problem with the numbering scheme, but as I tell later in this message, the behaviour with newly formatted cards is identical.

>>However, when I try to use that configuration, it seems
>that
>>the highest file number on the SD card is not taken into
>>account: a new folder is systematically created (so,
>here:
>>103D5100), and the numbering restarts from 0001 !
>
>That is what I would expect the camera to do in that
>situation. In other words: the camera is working as it was
>designed to.

Then there is a discrepancy between the documentation and reality. Here is what we can read on page 162 of the Reference Manual, regarding the d3 setting, "File Number Sequence":

Option "on": "... file numbering continues from the last number used or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher."

I made a test with 2 newly formatted SD cards, without manually fiddling with the file names, and the behaviour seems to be the same as what I saw on the one on which I had manually changed the names.

With the setting d3 "on":

1) inserted 1st card. Took 10 photos. That created a "100D5100" folder, and 10 files: "DSC_0001.JPG" to "DSC_0010.JPG" in it.

2) removed 1st card and inserted 2nd. Took 2 more photos. That created, on the 2nd card, a folder named "100D5100" (as on the 1st card) and 2 files: "DSC_0011.JPG" and "DSC_0012.JPG". That seems pretty logical up to now.

3) chose "reset" for d3 setting, in order to reset the camera's internal number to 0001. Took 1 more photo. So, on this 2nd card, as the manual correctly states it on page 162, a new folder was created (named "101D5100") and a new file, named "DSC_0001.JPG", was put in it. So far, so good.

4) removed the 2nd card, and inserted back the 1st one (the one with the 10 files). According to the manual, as the last file name on that card is "DSC_0010.JPG", whose number is higher than the internal counter, the next filename should be "DSC_0011.JPG", but instead, the camera created a "101D5100" folder and went on to "DSC_0002.JPG" in that folder.

So, I wonder:

1) where my error or misunderstanding is, and so
2) when is the described behaviour (as quoted above) in the manual supposed to show up ? As I understand it, it can never happen, as the only way the camera's internal counter can be lower than the last created file is through a "reset" at some point, as I did it.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Bruno

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 21-May-12 04:00 PM
4628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Bruno,

It seems that you are over-thinking this. What is your ultimate goal with the file naming?

If your goal is unique names by the camera so that there are no naming collisions on your hard drive, you cannot depend on the camera doing this for you. In this case, you are best using a third-party downloader that will rename the files as you desire as they are transfered off the card, then reset the counter back to 1 and reformat the card.

As an example, I use Downloader Pro by BreezeSys.com. Using the exif data, I have it rename the files from dsc_nnnn.xxx to yyyymmdd_nnnn.xxx based on the date of capture.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

btreguier Registered since 21st May 2012Mon 21-May-12 04:09 PM
#4. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 3

FR

>Bruno,
>
>It seems that you are over-thinking this. What is your
>ultimate goal with the file naming?
>
>If your goal is unique names by the camera so that there are
>no naming collisions on your hard drive, you cannot depend on
>the camera doing this for you. In this case, you are best
>using a third-party downloader that will rename the files as
>you desire as they are transfered off the card, then reset the
>counter back to 1 and reformat the card.

Hi Joseph and thanks for your answer. This is exactly my goal, of course, and I'll do just as you're advising me to.

I was just trying to find a neat trick to resume my numbering so that it would be consistent, and reading the documentation, I thought it was possible, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this, I just (kinda) hate it when I don't understand something. The little child in me, I suppose, haha.

>As an example, I use Downloader Pro by BreezeSys.com. Using
>the exif data, I have it rename the files from dsc_nnnn.xxx to
>yyyymmdd_nnnn.xxx based on the date of capture.

As I'm a Linux guy, I'll use a little utility called "exiv2" (available on Windows as well by the way) to rename all my files.

Thanks again, have a good day, all of you !

Bruno

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 21-May-12 11:41 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-May-12 11:54 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Its not just an affliction of the 5100. I have a D3000 and every now and the The camera gets a wild hair and just starts a new folder. If you have setup right in the internal software it should remain the same. Have one folder and name the pictures consecutive order until you change cards. Even The Nikon Transfer software jumps from Transfer and Transfer2 and Back to when that happens Number start over again.

Nikon Software is the hard Mac software to install because the installer doesn't remove the old software. it just adds it to the Nikon Directory and you have to go and dump the old. Everone else if it detects an old version it ask do you want to replace older version new version and restart the application. If you click okay the it moves the old application to Trash and writes the new copy, the closes and restart the new program. Obviously the software engineers are PC only People with little knowledge of how Mac Apps are supposed be installed.

It’s a Great camera otherwise when you visit my gallery you can see it makes decent photos.

I've learned to just live with it. and go with the flow.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

btreguier Registered since 21st May 2012Tue 22-May-12 03:59 PM
#6. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 5

FR

Thanks Phillip for all that information. Nice photos and nice cat, btw.

Just for the sake of it, however, I contacted Nikon France regarding the file numbering scheme issue, and much to my surprise I got a very quick answer from them, asking for a phone number where they could call me. We had a chat and made a few tests, and the lady I was talking with, admitted the camera's behaviour was not consistent with the documentation, and told me she would "escalate" my call so that in future versions (and provided I'm not the only one reporting the problem, I suppose) the doc or the firmware would be corrected.

Kudos to them for, at least, their excellent Customer Relationship Management.

Regards,

Bruno

daiqngo Registered since 26th Jul 2012Mon 06-Aug-12 11:25 PM
#7. "RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues"
In response to Reply # 0

san diego, US

I also own a D5100 & have experienced the exact same problems you've described, and it's mind-boggling. Recently, my 104D5100 was at photo sequence #2034. Before the next photo-shoot, I read the Nikon's documentation and switched the d3 option: "File number sequence", to "ON", expecting the next picture to continue on to 2035 & so on.
Next thing I know, the D5100 started a new folder 105D5100 w/ DSC_0001.(????)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5942 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.