Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5939
View in linear mode

Subject: "I Dropped my D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
ChrisSam Registered since 20th May 2012Sun 20-May-12 04:05 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I Dropped my D5100"

US

All, Help! I was packing my bag for a short train trip from Milan to Padua Italy. Had my D5100 carefully stowed in my carry-on luggage. I lifted the bag off the bed and spilled the contents on the floor. My D5100 hit the floor with a thud. The lens cap skittered across the hotel room floor. Here's what happened.
The lens thread broke, so the 18-55 mm lens no longer snugly bayonets into place. When I put on another lens, and try to release the shutter, I get an error message that says: "Error Press Shutter Release Button again". And of course the shutter doesn't release.

Can I repair the camera or have I damaged it beyond repair?

DSLR's are a new world for me. I cut my teeth on SLR-35mm cameras that you could get fixed.

Can anyone make a suggestion?
Thanks Chris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 20-May-12 04:16 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I Dropped my D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your accident.
If the damage was limited to the mount on your 18-55mm, the camera should work as long as you removed all of the parts from the camera mount.
Since another lens doesn't work, I suspect that there was damage to the lens mount on the camera or inside the camera body as well.
It sounds like both the camera and lens requires a trip to Nikon Service or a Nikon Authorized Repair Station.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ChrisSam Registered since 20th May 2012Sun 20-May-12 04:32 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I Dropped my D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Marty. Sounds like it can be repaired. It's a relief I will take it in when I get back to the US.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 21-May-12 05:12 PM
18519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I Dropped my D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Ouch. Sorry to hear that it happened. Yes, it can be repaired through Nikon or an authorized repar facility.

Hope you are still able to enjoy your trip.
(Post again, when you get back, in the Repair Forum and I can get you a list of authorized repair facilities and Nikon USA's info. Since the repair was not due to manufacturer defect, you will probably have to pay for the repair but if you bought the camera with a credit card, you may have some insurance or buyer's protection plan through your credit card company.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5939 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.