nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5913
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
twowheels Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Sun 13-May-12 06:54 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D5100"

La Habra, US

Well, I always said if Nikon would come out with a DSLR with a swivel like the Canon point and shoots, I'd get one. Sooo, I ordered it tonight and look forward to using it. I have quit a few AF-S lenses, so I just ordered the body. NAS is at it again. Thought it was gone since my purchase of the D300s, but it's not!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D5100
jimmills Silver Member
13th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
13th May 2012
rgsindc
14th May 2012
ccmandel
15th May 2012
twowheels Silver Member
18th May 2012
Totex Silver Member
22nd May 2012
daiqngo
07th Aug 2012
NTexNikonian
09th Aug 2012
Fortkentdad
22nd Sep 2012

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2010Sun 13-May-12 02:39 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I think you will enjoy the 5100. I have one as a back-up to my D7000 and find I use it pretty often. That articulating LCD panel is the cat's pajamas.
NAS never goes away. There is no cure for it and it is terminal.

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 13-May-12 02:46 PM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Laine,

Congratulations on your new D5100.
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Mon 14-May-12 08:59 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Good luck.....really like mine....I use it with the remote shutter all the time.......nice feature for tripod work.

ccmandel Registered since 04th May 2012Tue 15-May-12 01:59 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I am new to photography and also have the 5100. So far I am really enjoying getting to know this camera.

Susan

twowheels Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Fri 18-May-12 03:36 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-May-12 03:39 AM by twowheels

La Habra, US

Received my D5100 today and thanks for the comments. From my playing around with it this afternoon, using the Nikon 18-200 AF-S VR, I think it is going to do just what I want it to, ie, shoot motorcycles getting ready to go on a run. Most of those I've had to shoot with my Canon point and shoot, but now I'll be able to use my Nikon with the swivel screen from a kneeling position. One of the first things I did was to program the FN button so I could go to "rapid fire" from single shot qicker. I must confess, I spent some time going through the menus trying to shut off the flash, but then found it on the top dial. I attached my SB700 and tried a few shots to see how things worked. For what I want the camera to do, I don't think I'll need to use the SB800. Anywho, I've got that "new camera" excitement.

Totex Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2012Tue 22-May-12 05:34 PM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

Houston, Katy, US

>Received my D5100 today and thanks for the comments. From my
>playing around with it this afternoon, using the Nikon 18-200
>AF-S VR, I think it is going to do just what I want it to, ie,
>shoot motorcycles getting ready to go on a run. Most of those
>I've had to shoot with my Canon point and shoot, but now I'll
>be able to use my Nikon with the swivel screen from a kneeling
>position. One of the first things I did was to program the FN
>button so I could go to "rapid fire" from single
>shot qicker. I must confess, I spent some time going through
>the menus trying to shut off the flash, but then found it on
>the top dial. I attached my SB700 and tried a few shots to see
>how things worked. For what I want the camera to do, I don't
>think I'll need to use the SB800. Anywho, I've got that
>"new camera" excitement.

Congratulations on your new toy, I have the D5100 as well love the swivel screen, I also use the SB700 and works great, enjoy and share.

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

daiqngo Registered since 26th Jul 2012Tue 07-Aug-12 12:39 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 6

san diego, US

Love that swivel screen on my D5100. I'm doing aviation photography and get to take a lot of shots of static display aircrafts. I'd put the 5100 on my monopod, prop it up 6 ft high and have the swivel screen angled so that I can check out my target from below. I then use the Nikon remote control to trigger it, and the resulting picture shows a completely new angle of the aircraft (look-down effect).

NTexNikonian Registered since 27th Jul 2012Thu 09-Aug-12 02:46 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I really like the swivel LCD also, it is what made me choose a D5100 over the D7000. I've used my SB600 with it for a few family portrait shots and was very pleased. I wish it had the commnader mode, but there are trade offs with everything.

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sat 22-Sep-12 05:19 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New D5100"
In response to Reply # 8

Fort Kent, CA

I bought my D5100 in July and have really enjoyed it. Love the swivel LCD screen makes taking low level or high level shots much easier. When setting up the tripod I don't need to be able to get behind it completely to see what I'm taking. Great addition.

As for the flash commander - when I bought it I didn't realize what that would mean - now that I know I wish the D5100 had it - but I did buy an SB700 which as I understand it will act as the commander on the D5100 and can control a remote Nikon flash. I'm thinking that I'll either spring for a SB900/910 in the future or save a few hundred dollars and learn how to manage flashes manually and go with the optical slave route - or use flash triggers. But that is a little ways off as I'm just learning both the camera and the flash.

I really want to get past auto-everything which I tended to use on my old SLR (Nikon film) - the cost of developing discouraged experimenting now that I'm digital I can "ruin" lots of shots and the only cost is the time to hit Delete. Been concentrating on using the A setting for apature priority and controlling depth of field.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5913 Previous topic | Next topic