Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5907
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3200 Picture" Previous topic | Next topic
mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Sat 12-May-12 04:08 AM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3200 Picture"

Bend, US

I got my hands on a d3200 during a trip to Indianapolis and took it out for a test. Its really an impressive camera once you ignore what its lacking functionally.
Straight out of camera... resized only for upload. No post

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3200 Picture
MEMcD Moderator
12th May 2012
AudsDad Silver Member
12th May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
13th May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
14th May 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th May 2012
jfb in Cali
15th May 2012
     Reply message 100% crop
jpFoto
15th May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
16th May 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
16th May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
16th May 2012
jpFoto
17th May 2012
Paul94583
17th Jun 2012
elec164 Silver Member
18th May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
18th May 2012
drmanubmengi
23rd May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
28th May 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
19th May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
19th May 2012
Shy Talk
31st May 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
31st May 2012
Shy Talk
31st May 2012
ksignorini Silver Member
17th Jun 2012
AudsDad Silver Member
17th Jun 2012
mfaccone Silver Member
18th Jun 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 12-May-12 06:12 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mark,

Beautiful image.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

AudsDad Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2007Sat 12-May-12 10:56 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 1

Naperville, US

Hi, Mark.

Nice exposure. Do you have the settings for this shot, especially the ISO? It seems that the initial reviews on the D3200 uniformly suggested that the Expeed III processor results in superb high ISO results, but some recent comments in this forum have suggested otherwise.

Cheers,

Peter

Please visit MySmugmug gallery

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Sun 13-May-12 02:36 AM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 13-May-12 02:39 AM by mfaccone

Bend, US

This shot just happens to be at 100 ISO, and I think 30 sec exposure at f11.. I dont use a high ISO for much except low light action shots. I have taken some at 1600 and thought it was ok. 3200... I question a little. Its a little better than my d300s and not quite as good as a d700. Not sure how it compares to a d7000 in ISO. Although it seems to knock the pants off the d7000 as far as sharpness goes.

Mark

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 14-May-12 03:55 AM
#4. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Bend, US

If I cropped it right... this is a 100% crop.
Taken at 180mm f5 1/1600 ISO 450

Mark

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 15-May-12 12:41 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

How is the Picture cropped 100%.

a 100% crop would mean nothing is left.

If you cropped so that only 1/2 the width and length is left That would be a 50% Crop. For example you have a 8 by 10 Picture and you reduce to 4 by 5 that's 50%.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

jfb in Cali Registered since 29th Oct 2009Tue 15-May-12 08:46 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 5

US

True in the math world, but it has a different usage in the photo world. It is a crop that displays one photo pixel in each pixel on the computer monitor.

How is the Picture cropped 100%.
>
>a 100% crop would mean nothing is left.
>
>If you cropped so that only 1/2 the width and length is left
>That would be a 50% Crop. For example you have a 8 by 10
>Picture and you reduce to 4 by 5 that's 50%.
>

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 15-May-12 10:11 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "100% crop"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Phil

If you download the photo into View NX2, you will see that it's a 100 crop.

jP

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Wed 16-May-12 02:09 AM
#8. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 16-May-12 02:12 AM by mfaccone

Bend, US

Well... It's considered a 100% crop for pixel peepers. I was basically showing what this camera is capable of. It was for people who was interested in buying one. I just happened to take a couple shots with this on my vacation and was so impressed that I purchased it... Despite the fact that it doesn't bracket. ( although you can manual bracket if necessary ) I was also using the kit 18-55 vr lens.

Mark

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 16-May-12 08:56 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 16-May-12 08:57 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I won't belabor the point. I'll open with Capture NX2 and see it for myself. I've been in Electronics from time I was 20 years old. and The concept of 100% Crop is hard to get your head around. Everything I've been taught and use on computer if you remove 100%, that's it there is nothing is left.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Wed 16-May-12 10:22 PM
#10. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 16-May-12 11:02 PM by mfaccone

Bend, US

Anyway... that wasn't the point of my post.

I went on vacation and left my D300s camera at home... went to Roberts Camera in Indianapolis to see if I could rent this one. I was impressed and bought it. I may sell my new d300s... its that impressive. These shots are the reason why. 100% or not, this posting was to only show what I thought the camera was capable of.

Mark

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 17-May-12 12:12 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Mark

I own a D3s and although I'm not going to sell it, I am also duly impressed with the D3200.

jP

Paul94583 Registered since 09th Dec 2008Sun 17-Jun-12 02:38 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 10

Chandler, US

>Anyway... that wasn't the point of my post.
>
>I went on vacation and left my D300s camera at home... went to
>Roberts Camera in Indianapolis to see if I could rent this
>one. I was impressed and bought it. I may sell my new
>d300s... its that impressive. These shots are the reason why.
>100% or not, this posting was to only show what I thought the
>camera was capable of.
>

I bought my first DSLR, the D50, from Roberts online back in 2007.

Paul

"I'd rather try and fail, than fail to try."

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 18-May-12 03:09 PM
2100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>If you cropped so that only 1/2 the width and length is left
>That would be a 50% Crop. For example you have a 8 by 10
>Picture and you reduce to 4 by 5 that's 50%.

Perhaps I’m being a bit pedantic, but it depends upon which metric you are describing. Halving the length and width would be a 50% reduction in the linear measurements, but it would be a 75% reduction, or leaving you with only 25% of the original pixel resolution.

I don’t particularly agree with the use of the term, but the term “100% crop” as used in this context is grammatically incomplete as far as I’m concerned when explaining what is meant. To me the full phrase would be “I’m presenting a sample which is a cropped portion of the whole capture that represents what’s viewable on screen in an editor at 100% view”. Basically, if you are cropping without the need for interpolation when prepping a sample for posting, it is expressed by many as being a 100% crop. Like it or not, that’s the usage. Personally I think “actual pixels” or “100% view” would be a better phrase, but I doubt everyone will agree with me.

If you wanted to express Mark’s sample as representing the percentage of the area cropped from the total capture, it only represents about 2.7% of the total pixel resolution; or cropping away about 97.3% (at least I think I worked that out correctly!!). If that’s the case and it is a 100% crop, then he did a really fantastic job and used great technique for that capture. None the less, the D3200 seems to be a dramatic step forward in digital imaging technology.

Pete

Pete

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Fri 18-May-12 07:47 PM
#13. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 18-May-12 10:49 PM by mfaccone

Bend, US

Exactly..
The crop was slightly less than 100% view on screen. A lot of data was taken away to show the resolution of this camera and how sharp it can be even looking at it at 100%. I've reloaded an actual crop of 100% view.
The first shot of the war memorial was out of camera... no post. The second cropped shot and this crop was out of camera no post. It was also shot handheld.

Mark

drmanubmengi Registered since 14th May 2012Wed 23-May-12 10:03 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 13

IN

how abt the pixelation???

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 28-May-12 01:42 AM
#17. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 16

Bend, US

well... due to the resolution of this camera... to even see pixelation you have to really zoom in. The image you see here is at 100%
I had to zoom in to about 300% to see any definitive pixelation. Far more than anyone would want to crop an image for printing

Mark

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 19-May-12 04:01 PM
#14. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 12

Martinsville, US

There is another way to reduce File size. For example I have my D3000 jpg set so it puts out 300dpi. You can in Capture2, Photoshop, and GraphicConverter you can reduce the File size by reducing resolution from 300dpi to 72dpi. This not only reduces the resolution it also reduces the physical size.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Sat 19-May-12 07:28 PM
#15. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat 19-May-12 07:43 PM by mfaccone

Bend, US

This is a crop though... Meaning I'm throwing away data to either get the composition I want, or in this instance show a 100% view that was a tiny portion of the full picture.
If I were just resizing, you would see the full picture out of camera at a size that I could upload to this site without loosing much data... As the first picture was done. Both pictures were raw files processed into jpg with either the size reduction required for this site or cropped so no size reduction was needed.
The reason I cropped so much of the second one was to show the quality of the sensor in the d3200 and just how much data you can remove and still have a quality print. I did print this shot out on 11x17 paper and it looks just as sharp as it does here. Just guessing here, but this shot probably has 10-12 mp or less data left from a 24 mp camera

Mark

Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Thu 31-May-12 01:43 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 15

Port Glasgow, GB

I think thats damn impressive.

Who cares what percentage crop it is!

It shows what this 24mp gem can do.

I'm thinking about replacing my D300s with one. Although the 300s is 'feature rich' its 'mp poor' compared to this camera!

While I love all the 'goo-gas' on the 300s, I think this cam will outperform it for most of the things I'd use it for.

Only things I'm worried about are lack of CAM3500 focus & dustproofing.

I wish they'd release the D400 though!

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Thu 31-May-12 03:18 PM
#19. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 18

Bend, US

Really, the only feature things missing is bracketing. There are others but bracketing is at the top of the list. I don't use bracketing so not a big deal for me. The only other thing missing is the viewfinder at 100% and the lack of focus points... But that also is an easy workaround.
If they use this sensor in a d300s replacement... It would be an awesome camera

Mark

Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Thu 31-May-12 07:18 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 19

Port Glasgow, GB

I don't use bracketing either.

And although CAM3500 is the best AF system, bar none- I always use 'single point' AF for telephoto work.

I agree. Pop this sensor in a reworked D300s and you have a 24mp 'pro' quality DX job.

They could call it 'D400'.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

ksignorini Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2008Sun 17-Jun-12 03:24 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 20

Edmonton, CA

I'm incredibly impressed with these shots, but like others, I'm planning on buying a lighter camera than my D300 but still need bracketing (reducing weight for hiking but still need to bracket for some landscape/HDR shots).

So, I'm probably going to have to go with a D5100. Still, I'm wondering if there is any possibility Nikon might add bracketing to the D3200 via firmware update down the road?

Kent
Main Gear:
Nikon D300, Nikon D5100, Nikon D70s, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 12-24mm f/4, Nikon AF-Micro 60mm f/2.8D, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D, Nikon MB-D10 Grip, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon P7000 (right-hand-coat pocket)
Digital Workflow:
27" iMac i7, Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS5, Aperture 3

AudsDad Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2007Sun 17-Jun-12 12:35 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 21

Naperville, US

Kent,

I too was disappointed to see that the D3200 does not include Bracketing. My daughter is ready to go from P&S to dSLR and that feature for a novice would have to be seen as virtually indispensable for getting better shots while moving along the learning curve for using lighting effectively.

It is clearly a really nice entry level camera, but Nikon decided to keep Bracketing out, probably for the sole reason of maintaining that function as a demarcation between the D3000 series and the D5000 (and higher) series. It would have added virtually nothing to their cost of producing the camera so the only other explanation for its not being included would have to be - "we forgot".

So, unfortunately, I doubt that they will add it in later. Hope I'm wrong.

Peter

Please visit MySmugmug gallery

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 18-Jun-12 02:01 AM
#24. "RE: D3200 Picture"
In response to Reply # 21

Bend, US

You can still bracket... you just have to do it manually like the good ole days

Mark

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5907 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.