Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5869
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D3100 HELP" Previous topic | Next topic
jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011Tue 08-May-12 05:07 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Nikon D3100 HELP"


Hummelstown, US
          

I'm still really new with my Nikon D3100 Camera and wanted to take some important pictures of my granddaughter in chorus last evening at the Hershey High School Auditorium. Man did I screw up. I was using the Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4.5-5-6GED zoomed to about 250mm and using the Nikon SB-400 Flash. (I was near the back of the auditorium)
Not sure where or what I did wrong but the pictures all came out with "silver" eyes such as the attachment I'm going to try to post. This was a once and done opportunity for these pictures and I have searched the internet and looked everywhere I know to look for a fix for this and have had no luck.
Anyone that can help this grandpappy will make him very happy!
I patiently await help
Jerry


Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
aolander Silver Member
08th May 2012
1
Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
jpFoto
09th May 2012
2
Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
jyeagley3
09th May 2012
3
     Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
09th May 2012
4
     Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
jyeagley3
31st May 2012
5
          Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
31st May 2012
6
               Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
jyeagley3
01st Jun 2012
7
Reply message RE: Nikon D3100 HELP
WD4MLA Silver Member
01st Jun 2012
8

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 08-May-12 07:27 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 0


Nevis, US
          

It's a variation of "red-eye" due to the flash being too near the lens. You need to get a larger flash for distance shooting and get it up on a bracket to get it up away from the camera. That way the light from the flash doesn't reflect off of the retina straight back at the camera.

To fix these photos, many photo editors can correct "red-eye". Not sure if Picasa does, but it's a free photo editing program.

http://picasa.google.com/

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 09-May-12 07:52 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 09-May-12 07:52 AM by jpFoto

US
          



Deleted by author


  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 09-May-12 08:35 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 1


Hummelstown, US
          

Yes, I have Picasa, even had an update to it and I can find nothing to help me out. Is this condition called "flare". I have a Nikon HB-57 Lens Hood that Nikon says will:
By reducing the amount of non-essential light falling onto the front lens element, lenses can better achieve their optimum optical performance, producing more saturated images.
Use of specifically engineered Nikon lens hoods is highly recommended.
In less-than-ideal lighting conditions, the performance difference can be substantial.
Do you think using this will help avoid the condition I experienced?

Thanks for the help
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 09-May-12 04:47 PM
26771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 3


US
          

Hi Jerry,

No!
The problem with your image is Red Eye, not Flare or Ghosting.
That said, I Always use a lens hood and recommend that you do the same though it will not prevent red eye.

Red Eye is a result of the light projected by the flash reflecting from the back of the subjects eye back to the camera. Since your SB-400 has a very low profile the center line of the flash is very close to the centerline of the lens. This allows the light to go through the subjects pupils and reflect directly (180 degrees) back to the sensor. Using a telephoto lens makes the problem worse. Even an SB-900 ( which has a much higher profile) will produce red eye when using direct flash and a long lens.
The best way to eliminate red eye is to turn up the ISO and not use flash.
When using flash is the only option use bounce flash or use a flash bracket or hold the flash in your hand (with an SC-28 or SC-29 TTL extension cord) to get the flash unit high above the lens. The longer the focal length, the higher above the lens you must be. That way the light can not reflect directly back to the sensor. You can also try using Red Eye Reduction mode so the Speedlight fires a few pre flashes to close the subjects pupils which may or may not be effective. (I never use it).
Getting closer and using a wider focal length would help also.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011Thu 31-May-12 04:16 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 3


Hummelstown, US
          

>Yes, I have Picasa, even had an update to it and I can find
>nothing to help me out. Is this condition called
>"flare". I have a Nikon HB-57 Lens Hood that Nikon
>says will:
>By reducing the amount of non-essential light falling onto the
>front lens element, lenses can better achieve their optimum
>optical performance, producing more saturated images.
>Use of specifically engineered Nikon lens hoods is highly
>recommended.
>In less-than-ideal lighting conditions, the performance
>difference can be substantial.
>Do you think using this will help avoid the condition I
>experienced?
>
>Thanks for the help
>Jerry
Without trying it I'm not sure and I messed up enough pictures. Never did get the ones I posted corrected. What will turning the red eye on the camera itself and leaving it on all the time do?
Thanks for the help
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

            
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 31-May-12 05:26 PM
26771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 5


US
          

Hi Jerry,

> What will turning the red eye on the camera itself and leaving it on all> the time do?

Red eye reduction mode fires the Speedlight a few times before the shutter opens causing the subjects pupils to close and reduces the chance of red-eye. It also causes a delay between pressing the shutter release button and the shutter opening. Red eye reduction is more effective when using a normal lens at distances up to about 10 feet or so.
When the ambient light level is very low like in your sample image. Add to that the 250mm focal length and the flash to subject distance your SB-400 Speedlight didn't have enough power for a correct exposure so red eye reduction mode would not help. For it to be effective, you would have to be shooting at about 50mm or wider and be at or close to the front row.
If you had significantly more flash power bouncing the flash off of the ceiling would be significantly more effective then red eye reduction mode.

The bottom line when using on camera direct flash with a telephoto lens red eye will be a major problem even if Red eye reduction mode is on.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

                
jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011Fri 01-Jun-12 09:26 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 6


Hummelstown, US
          

>Hi Jerry,
>
>> What will turning the red eye on the camera itself and
>leaving it on all> the time do?
>
>Red eye reduction mode fires the Speedlight a few times before
>the shutter opens causing the subjects pupils to close and
>reduces the chance of red-eye. It also causes a delay between
>pressing the shutter release button and the shutter opening.
>Red eye reduction is more effective when using a normal lens
>at distances up to about 10 feet or so.
>When the ambient light level is very low like in your sample
>image. Add to that the 250mm focal length and the flash to
>subject distance your SB-400 Speedlight didn't have enough
>power for a correct exposure so red eye reduction mode would
>not help. For it to be effective, you would have to be
>shooting at about 50mm or wider and be at or close to the
>front row.
>If you had significantly more flash power bouncing the flash
>off of the ceiling would be significantly more effective then
>red eye reduction mode.
>
>The bottom line when using on camera direct flash with a
>telephoto lens red eye will be a major problem even if Red eye
>reduction mode is on.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>
>
Well thanks for the information. I'm going to have to take a little time and find a way to print all these helpful posts.
(I am enjoying the Nikon)
Thanks again
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 01-Jun-12 09:33 PM
921 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP"
In response to Reply # 0


Sylva, US
          

Jerry

I have Picasa 3, which is a free download and it has Redeye Correction. It is under the Wrench Icon. I have never used it but it is worth a try.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5869 Previous topic | Next topic


Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.