Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5815
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fast delivery on the D3200!" Previous topic | Next topic
David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Tue 01-May-12 01:47 AM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fast delivery on the D3200!"

US

Picked up my D3200 today. Announced April 19, in my hands April 30. This is refreshing. At $699 they should sell a ton of these, particularly to consumers who only look at megapixels.

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!
MEMcD Moderator
01st May 2012
jpFoto
01st May 2012
David D Busch Silver Member
01st May 2012
RobertsD5000 Silver Member
02nd May 2012
02nd May 2012
cflehman Silver Member
03rd May 2012
03rd May 2012
factotum
14th Jun 2012
lakey
13th Jun 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-May-12 01:50 AM
25722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

Wow, that was quick!
Congratulations.
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 01-May-12 01:11 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-May-12 01:12 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi David

I also picked mine up yesterday together with the bundled 55-300 lens for an additional $250.00. I don't want to collect too many DX lenses, but this one appears to be a real beauty for even double that price.

So far I'm very impressed with both the camera and the telephoto lens. High ISO shots are beyond belief. I saw your post in the Nikon 1 forum where you stated that you really like the NEX 7. I bought the NEX 7 with the 18-55 and the 18-200, but found it too complicated and difficult to use. Also, I don't think that the high ISO abilities even come close to the D3200. Given your stature in the photographic community, I would be interested in your opinion.

BTW, unlike the D4, I am allowed to keep this camera without spending so much as one night on the sofa.

jP

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Tue 01-May-12 01:46 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

It's too soon for me to have much of an opinion on the D3200, but I really like what I've seen so far. I've taken a few pictures at ISO 1600 and 3200, and was surprised by the lack of noise. It's a really small camera, about the same width and height as my PowerShot G1 X, although it extends farther forward with even the smallest lens I have.

After I've had a chance to give it a real workout while doing my book, it will either end up as a backup camera or, possibly, be converted to IR if LifePixel finds it suitable for such. I've found that even more recent cameras with sensors that aren't so sensitive to IR can make decent IR tools. The D3200 won't end up as a hand-me-down, as my wife and daughter refuse to use anything that doesn't bracket and are happy with their D5100 and D5000s.

As for the NEX-7, I, too, found it very complicated to use initially, because its controls are so much unlike what we're used to with typical dSLRs. (But then, so are the V1 and J1's controls.) I probably spent a day or more wrestling with the use of the Navigation button, left/right control dials, and control wheel until I figured out exactly how to use them -- and I was already basically familiar with the NEX line, having owned an NEX-5 and NEX5N previously.

Once I had logged a lot of time and shot a lot of pictures, I found the NEX-7 much easier to use. It's a camera that grows on you. Its high ISO performance is not as good as the D3200's, but I am fortunate enough to be able to choose the best tool for the job, and when I need to shoot at lofty ISOs, I can just use something else.

The NEX-7 is versatile enough that I can work with it for quite a few different types of subjects, and I've got a ton of lenses for it -- including the 16mm f/2.8, wide angle and fisheye adapters, a 35mm f/1.7 C-mount lens, all my Sony/Minolta A-Mount lenses (with the adapter), and even Nikon lenses in manual mode.

Other people have commented about my stature, but at 6'2" I carry it well, and am trying to lose weight.

Thanks!

David

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Wed 02-May-12 04:04 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

does the D3200 have a swivel LCD like the D5000 and the D5100

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Wed 02-May-12 04:27 AM
#5. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>does the D3200 have a swivel LCD like the D5000 and the
>D5100
No swivel. Nikon has kept this camera very basic to clearly differentiate it from the D5100. No bracketing, for example. But there have been some upgrades from the D3100. You now get RAW+JPEG Fine instead of RAW+JPEG Basic, two IR ports PLUS wired remote socket, and some other amenities.

cflehman Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2005Thu 03-May-12 02:42 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Can you disassociate the focusing from the shutter button on the D3200 and use a back button for focusing instead?

Charlie
www.Charlie.Zenfolio.com

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Thu 03-May-12 03:43 AM
#7. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>Can you disassociate the focusing from the shutter button on
>the D3200 and use a back button for focusing instead?

Sure. Go to Setup>Buttons>Assign AE-L/AF-L button. Choose AF-ON. When you do that, AF is activated when you press the AE-L/AF-L button *only*, and pressing the shutter release no longer triggers autofocus.

If you've downloaded the D3200 manual, it's at the bottom of page 143.

David

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Thu 14-Jun-12 04:19 PM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I've been considering a 3200 simply to have something light and simple. (Ssimple toys for simple minds!) I have looked and the only remote mentioned is IR. Which socket does the 3200 use for wired remote?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

lakey Registered since 26th Mar 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 02:57 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fast delivery on the D3200!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Is there a big difference in the 55 to 200 lense vs the 55 to 300?

Is the 55 to 300 hard to hold steady without a tripod? I said I wasn't going to get any more lenses until I learned everything I could about the 3100. I live on a lake and need a stronger lense to shoot all the beautiful wildlife, but want to hold the camera in my hand.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5815 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.