Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5784
View in linear mode

Subject: "Testing out the Sigma 10-20 with my D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Sat 28-Apr-12 05:54 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Testing out the Sigma 10-20 with my D5100"

BR

As they are cheaper and have good quality, I now have an "arsenal" of Sigma lenses.
In a couple of trips to NYC sold my "old" lenses and bought the Sigmas 70-200mm 2.8 OS, the 17-50mm 2.8 and this 10-20mm 3.5.
Kept my Nikkor 35mm 1.8 though.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Sat 28-Apr-12 06:16 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Testing out the Sigma 10-20 with my D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

BR

Forgot to say that my plans to buy Nikkor lenses (and of course new Nikon bodies) are not vanished by this.
This is only due to monetary restrictions and as I'm only shooting a DSLR for about a year, I have time to just get the equivalent in Nikkor lenses in near future.

My verdict for the Sigma 10-20mm:
Not the sharpest lens around.
Shooting at its maximum aperture of 3.5 produces not so sharp images.
Stoping down the image gets better and better.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 28-Apr-12 06:19 PM
25581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Testing out the Sigma 10-20 with my D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Daniel,

Nice images.
Thanks for sharing.
The Sigma Pro quality lenses are better than the Nikkor kit lenses.
I prefer the 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM over the equivalent Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF-S.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Sat 28-Apr-12 06:35 PM
#3. "RE: Testing out the Sigma 10-20 with my D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

BR

Thanks Marty.

Right. Definitely the pro Sigmas are better than entry level Nikkors.
(I liked the 18-55mm Nikkor kit lenses though, despite the fact I've already sold mine).
There are Sigmas and Sigmas. As there are Nikkors and Nikkors.

But I think - in most cases - comparing same model and category lenses between the two brands (and also Tamron and Tokina), the Nikkors (and Canons) wins.
Say comparing my Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS with the famous Nikkor equivalent.
The thing is for a lot of people just starting out and not making money with photography the difference in quality does not justify the enormous difference in price.

But all brands make great lenses for sure.

Cheers!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5784 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.