Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5756
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Excited" Previous topic | Next topic
GigiGoody Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 07:02 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Excited"

Denison, US

I am just so doggone excited I had to share!! If nothing else just for my own eyes! I have had my D5100 a couple of months now and STILL trying to get to know it. We have had a rocky relationship at times including having to return the first one and get another one!

But my excitement is over concert pics I took! They are by no means professional but you can clearly see everything and even if you zoom in on the pictures they are clear. With my D50 I could never take decent pictures at concerts. They were very grainy when enlarged. This concert was a Loretta Lynn concert. My disabled daughter is a Loretta Lynn fanatic and wanted at least decent pics for her. The pics were much more than just decent.

Will post a couple and let me know what else I can do to improve. Suppose to be going to a Clint Black concert in June.

Thank you for listening to me rant and thank you for any input.

Linda

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Excited
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Apr 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
23rd Apr 2012
Photograffiti Silver Member
24th Apr 2012
suzyk Silver Member
24th Apr 2012
GigiGoody Silver Member
24th Apr 2012
SandPatch
06th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th May 2012
SandPatch
10th May 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 23-Apr-12 07:55 PM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Linda,

Very nice capture!
The D5100 has significantly more resolution and better high ISO performance than the D50. That said, the Photographer having a little more experience contributed to the quality of the image as well.
Well Done!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 23-Apr-12 10:30 PM
2906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Linda,

That's great. It's those satisfying results that makes the failures seem trivial. Even though I have a few much more expensive cameras I'm more then happy with the D5100. It's a great little camera. Continue to enjoy it. I'm happy for you.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Tue 24-Apr-12 02:54 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 0

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

I'm extremely happy with the D5100 as well. I use it much more than I use my D700, and I use it with fast 3rd party glass. I'm constantly amazed at the quality of the images this little gem produces.

Enjoy your camera!

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Tue 24-Apr-12 01:45 PM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Hey Linda,

Great shots of Loretta Lynn and band.

The 55-300mm lens is great for the price don't you think?

Cheers,
Suzy

GigiGoody Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2012Tue 24-Apr-12 04:59 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 4

Denison, US

Thank you Suzy. The 55-300 lens came as a bundle with my D5100 and I love it. At the concert I played around with settings when the band came out so I would hopefully get some decent pics. Took 219 at the concert and nearly all of them came out good. NOT professional but good. LOL

Have a great day,
Linda

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Sun 06-May-12 01:13 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I bought my D5100 about six months ago and am enjoying it very much. I only wish I had more time to get away and take pictures. I sometimes make bone-headed errors with the settings, but that's just from inexperience. This is my first D-SLR and I'm still adjusting to the luxury of shooting with wild abandon! I shot slides up until my purchase and I was therefore conservative because of the cost per shot.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 06-May-12 04:52 PM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Buzz,

Digital Photography is a great tool for learning due to the instant feedback. By reviewing the image and the histogram you can imediatly change the settings working to capture the image you see in your minds eye.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Thu 10-May-12 11:11 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 Excited"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 10-May-12 11:13 PM by SandPatch

US

Marty,

The instant feedback is indeed wonderful. During Christmas I set up a tripod and took some "time exposures" (I don't have the remote shutter control accessory, so ended up with a near 30 second shutter speed I think) of our home in lights with my D5100. After perhaps six shots I was close to perfection both in exposure and composition. I would have never tried this with my 35mm, knowing the odds of failure were high.

I kept my old Nikon SB-20 (I think that's the model) Speedlight and hand carried it to spots to manually fire it. With the lens open at a small aperature, I was able to selectively wash the house in light and get nice exposures. I caught my shadowy silhouette in some shots, which was pretty funny. I later ended up laying flat in the yard or crouching behind bushes to hide.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.