Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #572
View in linear mode

Subject: "Olyumpus Flash on D5000?" Previous topic | Next topic
doddyod Registered since 10th Sep 2009Sun 13-Sep-09 03:36 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Olyumpus Flash on D5000?"

GB

Hi Guys, new to the world of Nikon, just got my D5000, and must say, apart from initially thinking "the images are too dark" then finding out, it was just the LCD brightness, that was too low!! Doh!!! I am loving it.

I used to have a Oly E-500, on which I had a Metz 36 AF4O flash unit.

I have read on various Oly forums, that some Nikon flash units give basic performance, not TTL or anything that fancy, but fire off when the shutter is pressed.

Has anybody any thoughts or experience with using Oly designed flash units on the D5000 or any other Nikon D series cameras?

Having just gotten my Nikon, I am too scared to just try it and see, as I have read various horror stories about the high voltages frying camera bodies.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Darren

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 13-Sep-09 05:59 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Olyumpus Flash on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Sep-09 06:01 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

First, the voltage provided by the flash unit to the hot shoe can vary from 12 VDC or less to over 200 VDC. The digital cameras using solid state circuitry are designed to work with much lower voltages than the old film cameras that used mechanical switches. And that is why Nikon prints the following in all dSLR manuals:

>Use Only Nikon Flash Accessories

> Use only Nikon Speedlights. Negative voltages or voltages over 250V applied to the accessory shoe
could not only prevent normal operation, but damage the sync circuitry of the camera or flash. Before
using a Nikon Speedlight not listed in this section, contact a Nikon-authorized service representative
for more information.

You can check the flash voltages at Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages. If you need to you can buy a safe syncy voltage isolator like Safe Synch.

And as with any non-CLS flash, you will need to use the "Manual" flash mode and copute your aperture based on you flashes GN, Guide Number,

For paid memberships there is more help is available in the Speedlight and Lighting forum.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 21-Sep-09 07:26 PM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Olyumpus Flash on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

"Olyumpus Flash"
Are you being funny, or is that a pure typo? It reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (It's good humor regardless. )

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 22-Sep-09 07:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Olyumpus Flash on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 22-Sep-09 10:23 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

There are a lot of professionals using studio strobes that are also Non-Nikon products and do not work well with the Nikon's CLS system. I see a lot of post about using Nikon SB-26 Speedlights and Vivitar 285's because the user can not afford the SB-900.

Everyone needs some help some time.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 22-Sep-09 11:11 PM
25572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Olyumpus Flash on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darren,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As long as the sync voltage of your Metz flash is around 6V or so and the Speedlight is capable of non-TTL Auto flash mode and or Manual flash mode it should work well with your D5000 set in Manual (M) exposure mode using the Metz in Auto (non-TTL) mode or Manual mode.

I would think that since the E-500 is a digital body the sync voltage of the Metz Speedlight should be about 6V, though I would test it to be safe. In either case the Wein Safe Sync that George provided a link to would not hurt. Better Safe than Sorry!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #572 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.