Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #571
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 and 3rd Party Flash Equipment" Previous topic | Next topic
buck92688 Registered since 12th Sep 2009Sat 12-Sep-09 10:14 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 and 3rd Party Flash Equipment"

US

My D5000 manual states "Use only Nikon flash units. Negative voltages or voltages over 250V applied to the accessory shoe could ....damage the sync circuitry of the camera..."
Obviously Nikon wants to sell their own equipment. I have a handle mount Vivatar 365 flash I have used for years on my old film camera, and would like to use it, in manual mode, on my D5000, but obviously, I do not want to damage my D5000. Does anyone know definitively if using this Vivatar 365 will or will not damage my D5000

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 13-Sep-09 06:11 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 and 3rd Party Flash Equipment"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Sep-09 06:13 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

See the response in "Olyumpus Flash on D5000?"

Nikon might want to sell their product, but they also do not want the purchasers to unnecessarily damage their equipment. From the number of 3rd party RF remote manufactures and lens manufacturers one might conclude that Nikon does not discourage 3rd party products. But Nikon does have a quality edge in what it sells, so the purchase option is up to the user. There are 2 companies that are marketing RF modules to convert the Nikon CLS Wireless control to RF so the control distance and interference issues have been greatly improved for the photographer.

When using a Nikon F and a Vivitar 285 on a hot shoe mount I received quite a jolt through the PC sync port.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

buck92688 Registered since 12th Sep 2009Sun 13-Sep-09 09:47 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 and 3rd Party Flash Equipment"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you - the link you provided was helpful. I have ordered a safe-sync hot shoe.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Sep-09 06:17 PM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 and 3rd Party Flash Equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

I have an old Vivitar 365 that I haven't used in years. The thing drank "C" batteries like there was no tommorrow.
According to : http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html the sync voltage is 46V. Much higher than I would trust to use with a DSLR. The Wein Safe-Sync is a good idea. Better Safe than sorry.

Another thing to consider is that flash control has come a long way since the Auto flash mode of a Vivitar 365. Nikon i-TTL flash control and CLS is like Magic compared to the old days.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #571 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.