nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?

PMKhiriciOx47mq

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PMKhiriciOx47mq Registered since 13th Apr 2012
Fri 13-Apr-12 11:31 PM

Hello folks. I'm hoping to buy a Nikon digital SRL d3100 for anthropological fieldwork in eastern Europe where I will likely be in the fields half the time and in small-scale agro-industrial factories the other half of the time. I have old Nikon lenses I want my mom to send over from the US, but I don't know which are (1) compatible; (2) useful for what I'll be taking photos of (industrial factories thus poor light, and agricultural production outside). We have the following lenses, according to mom who did not send me all the specs: (1) Promaster Spectrum 7; 100mm, macro lens with 5 pins; (2) Nikkon 105mm 1:2.5; (3) Tokina 80-200mm 1:4 telephoto lens; (4) Nikkor 35mm 1:2.8; (5) Tokina telephoto and macro 28-70mm (?), with a switch on the old standard camera that lets you go between telephoto and macro.

Which would work with the d3100? I assume I don't need ALL of them; at least, I hope not. I don't mind manually focusing all the time so the absence of auto-focus is absolutely fine. I just don't understand which are redundant and which are not terribly useful.

Sorry for the dumb dumb questions. This is way out of my field. I've only ever owned point and shoots and much prefer film cameras but film is prohibitively expensive in eastern Europe and printing quality is poor.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Robin

G