Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5699
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?" Previous topic | Next topic
PMKhiriciOx47mq Registered since 13th Apr 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 11:31 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?"

US

Hello folks. I'm hoping to buy a Nikon digital SRL d3100 for anthropological fieldwork in eastern Europe where I will likely be in the fields half the time and in small-scale agro-industrial factories the other half of the time. I have old Nikon lenses I want my mom to send over from the US, but I don't know which are (1) compatible; (2) useful for what I'll be taking photos of (industrial factories thus poor light, and agricultural production outside). We have the following lenses, according to mom who did not send me all the specs: (1) Promaster Spectrum 7; 100mm, macro lens with 5 pins; (2) Nikkon 105mm 1:2.5; (3) Tokina 80-200mm 1:4 telephoto lens; (4) Nikkor 35mm 1:2.8; (5) Tokina telephoto and macro 28-70mm (?), with a switch on the old standard camera that lets you go between telephoto and macro.

Which would work with the d3100? I assume I don't need ALL of them; at least, I hope not. I don't mind manually focusing all the time so the absence of auto-focus is absolutely fine. I just don't understand which are redundant and which are not terribly useful.

Sorry for the dumb dumb questions. This is way out of my field. I've only ever owned point and shoots and much prefer film cameras but film is prohibitively expensive in eastern Europe and printing quality is poor.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Robin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 14-Apr-12 02:02 AM
3106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Most likely none of the lenses will auto focus. But that's not the bad part. Unless the lenses are autofocus with a built in CPU they won't allow metering with that camera either. We would need more info on the lenses to determine that.

For full compatibility the lenses need to be the newer AFS lenses where the autofocus motor is built into the lens and not the body.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 14-Apr-12 02:12 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robin,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The Nikkor, 105mm f/2.5, 35mm f/2.8, and the Tokina 80-200mm f/4 are definetly Manual focus lenses.
Since the above lenses do not have CPU's built into the lens, when used on a D3100 (D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, D5100) body the light meter in the camera body will not work.
If I remember correctly there are both MF and AF versions of the Tokina 28-70mm Macro. If you have the MF version, like the lenses above, the light meter in the camera will not work.
If you have the AF version with a Nikon F mount, it should meter on the D3100.
The Promaster Spectrum 7 100mm, is a Manual Focus lens. If the 5 pins means it has a CPU built into the lens, it should also meter on the D3100.

All of the lenses with a Nikon F mount will mount on the D3100 and are capable of cpaturing images with the D3100 set in Manual exposure mode, Manual Focus, Manual ISO, and using the Sunny 16 Rule, a hand held Light Meter, or using the Histogram via the Trial and Error method to set the exposure.

You might want to consider a D3100 with the kit 18-55mm f.3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX lens and or the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX. Both lenses are inexpensive and will provide full metering an AF when mounted on the D3100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

PMKhiriciOx47mq Registered since 13th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 11:51 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for all the help. I decided to get the camera and will play with the lenses as I have time, but decided on getting both the 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses to start things off.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 18-Apr-12 12:59 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tokina, Nikkor, and Promaster Spectrum compatibility?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Robin,

Good decision.
Enjoy your new kit.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5699 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.