nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5685
View in linear mode

Subject: "In-camera settings for nikon d3100" Previous topic | Next topic
jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 06:08 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"In-camera settings for nikon d3100"

AU

I love going on location with models, camera portrait (vertical), takes crisp pictures, face is focused etc... flip the camera to landscape (horizontal) and it focuses on the background more than model... the red dot focus point is set to model face and all...I feel it is a in-camera setting.. and would love to know what setting I have wrong... here is what my settings are on at the moment... nikon d3100

AF Area mode: Dynamic - area AF
Spot metering
focus mode: single servo AF
Face priority

If someone could please tell me what settings are wrong, and why.. or what settings I should have to get crisp results all the time (other than ISO, shutter speed etc)

I use camera in Manual A Mode, unless studio is in Manual mode, but still have same problems.. thank you for your time

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
13th Apr 2012
jacqui1990
13th Apr 2012
     Reply message RE: In-camera settings for Nikon D3100
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th May 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
13th Apr 2012
jacqui1990
13th Apr 2012
NenBikonian
20th Apr 2012
jacqui1990
22nd Apr 2012
NenBikonian
02nd May 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
04th May 2012
NenBikonian
04th May 2012
05th May 2012
NenBikonian
05th May 2012
jacqui1990
05th May 2012
NenBikonian
06th May 2012
jacqui1990
06th May 2012
NenBikonian
06th May 2012
jacqui1990
07th May 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 13-Apr-12 07:07 AM
4893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The way I am reading the manual, face-detection only works in Live View mode.

If the camera is not making the correct decisions, you need to take away some of its decision making abilities.

Focus type:

You already have AF-S chosen. This is great for stationary subjects. If your subject is moving, pick AF-C.

Focus area:

In AF-S mode, single-point and dynamic area are the same and a good choice since you know where you want the focus to be.

Auto-Area can be questionable nice the camera does the choosing, often on the closest object, which might be the chair between you and your model.

Technique: make sure you are pausing at the half-press of the shutter release so that the auto-focus system has a chance to work.

If nothing else, upload an example picture with the full EXIF data, and we can see what can be diagnosed.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 12:03 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

>The way I am reading the manual, face-detection only works in
>Live View mode.
>
>If the camera is not making the correct decisions, you need to
>take away some of its decision making abilities.
>
>Focus type:
>
>You already have AF-S chosen. This is great for stationary
>subjects. If your subject is moving, pick AF-C.
>
>Focus area:
>
>In AF-S mode, single-point and dynamic area are the same and a
>good choice since you know where you want the focus to be.
>
>Auto-Area can be questionable nice the camera does the
>choosing, often on the closest object, which might be the
>chair between you and your model.
>
>Technique: make sure you are pausing at the half-press of the
>shutter release so that the auto-focus system has a chance to
>work.
>
>If nothing else, upload an example picture with the full EXIF
>data, and we can see what can be diagnosed.
>
>---------+---------+---------+---------+
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA
>
>D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm
>f/1.4 D,
>17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX
>

Excuse the stupidity of this question... but what do you mean full EXIF data?? how do I upload a picture to here? Or do I email it? I'm new at this forum.. and only a basic user.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-May-12 06:44 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: In-camera settings for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Within digital media, including images, there are a number of internal data fields with tag names and values that records all sorts of data about how the media file was created, who created it, how it can be used, etc. For photographic images this standard is overseen by JEITA, Japanese Electronics and Information Technologies Industries Association. They have published Echangeable image file format for digital still cameras: Exif Version 2.2 which describes the format of the media, and data recorded.

You can see some of this data in your computers operating system file finder in the properties for the image. Most post processing programs provide some of the basic data and there are 3rd party programs that provide a lot of detail. That detail can be down to the power of each remote speedlight mode and power setting.

For Windows there is the free Opanda, or ExifTool by Phil Harvey.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Fri 13-Apr-12 11:43 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Change your AF area mode to single point. Dynamic is only helpful for moving subjects, but your camera may be picking the wrong focus point in spite of what you tell it.

Since you say camera orientation has an effect, I'm wondering if some of the problem is your hand-held technique, if you are shooting hand-held. You should squeeze your elbows in, hands out, one hand on the right side of the camera, the other underneath supporting the camera/lens. Press the big button gently, be sure not to jerk.

If you are using a tripod, check to see if you are getting some tripod slip.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 12:04 PM
#4. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

>Change your AF area mode to single point. Dynamic is only
>helpful for moving subjects, but your camera may be picking
>the wrong focus point in spite of what you tell it.
>
>Since you say camera orientation has an effect, I'm wondering
>if some of the problem is your hand-held technique, if you are
>shooting hand-held. You should squeeze your elbows in, hands
>out, one hand on the right side of the camera, the other
>underneath supporting the camera/lens. Press the big button
>gently, be sure not to jerk.
>
>If you are using a tripod, check to see if you are getting
>some tripod slip.

I have a very steady hand, and am quiet positive it isn't camera shake. I will take you up on the AF area mode to single point

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Fri 20-Apr-12 02:37 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking whether there is a setting that will cause the camera to always automatically adjust what it considers the "top most" focus point based on your camera's orientation.

So, for example, lets say the camera is in landscape orientation with the top focus point selected, and you decide to rotate to a portrait orientation with the bottom of the camera to the left and viewfinder to the right. In this new orientation, the new "top" focus point would be the one that was previously the leftmost focus point when the camera was in landscape mode. What you're asking is whether the camera can be configured to make this AF point selection for you when you change the orientation, correct?

jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Sun 22-Apr-12 01:37 AM
#6. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

Looking through my view finder, I manually move the red focus point to where I need it (preferably the face of the subject) And it doesn't work landscape wise... I do not understand which setting I have wrong to cause this... I need to show a picture, it did it again yesterday and my gos it's frustrating.. I'm using manual A mode...

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 02-May-12 06:22 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 6

Roswell, US

Ok Jacqueline, I've done some playing around with my wife's D3100. Here's what I did and what I think you should do for this situation:

1. You want to use back-button focus. Doing this, you set the AE-L/AF-L button ont he back of the camera to perform autofocus and leave the shutter button only for metering and shutter release. To set this up, go to the Setup Menu, Choose "Buttons", Select "AE-L/AF-L" and select "AF-ON" for this option.

2. You want to set your camera to Continuous Servo AF (AF-C). To do this, press the info button two times sot hat you can edit the options. Navigate to the AF-Servo option and choose AF-C.

3. You now want to set your AF-Area mode to 3D-Tracking (11 points). To do this (see Pg 58-59 of your manual), use the info button again to get into the setup on the back LCD screen. Go to the AF-Area mode option and select the option labeled "<3D>".

This setup is really what you'd want to do if you are tracking moving objects, but I found while testing this setup that it works pretty well for keeping the focus point on your subject even when you change the orientation of your camera. Once you ahve all this setup, you manually pick your AF-point in the viewfinder, focus using the AE-L/AF-L button (if you want to lock focus, you simply let go of the AE-L/AF-L button, if you want the camera to continually focus, you keep this button pressed), then change the orientation of hte camera. I think you have to keept he AE-L, AF-L button pressed for the camera to select a new AF point when you reorient, but test this to see what you find.

Let me know if you have questions on this. The AF functionality in even Nikon's entry level cameras is complicated. I've just bought a used D300 and am loving all the sophisticated stuff you can do with it's AF system, but it requires a LOT of practice and a LOT of learning.

Good luck,
Ben

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Fri 04-May-12 03:17 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 04-May-12 05:59 PM by coolmom42

McEwen, US

If you are shooting models, they should be stationary. So use AF-S mode.

Face detection is only useful for making videos of moving subjects, so it won't help you.

Make sure your lens VR is on.

Set your autofocus mode to single point. Through the viewfinder, compose your picture and with the selector wheel move your selected point to where you want it and compose the picture. Move the selected point again if necessary. Then press the big button halfway and give the AF time to lock--check the green dot in your viewfinder. Then take the picture.

The selected AF point will not move itself. The top point in landscape mode will become the middle right point in portrait mode. You have to put it where you want it with the camera held in the position where you will take the picture.

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Fri 04-May-12 06:49 PM
#10. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 8

Roswell, US

Diane,

I'm afraid your advice doesn't accomplish what the OP is looking to accomplish. If you follow the setup instructions I've provided, the camera will, in fact, adjust it's AF point, even with stationary objects like models (actually - especially with those subjects). In 3D mode, you select the focus point you want to use, focus, then reorient or move the camera (or the subject moves). The camera records the color information from the original focus point and "follows" that information. It's not face detection. It's just color pattern recognition, which is why it works for moving subjects like birds in flight (although the D3100 isn't a stellar machine for BIF, regardless of this functionality).

In my tests, the camera doesn't seem to really care whether the camera is moving or the subject is moving. It just keeps the focus point on the subject, based on color-pattern recognition.

But - it does work. Give it a shot.

Ben

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Sat 05-May-12 02:45 AM
#11. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

You might benefit from reading this thread. Lots of good info about possible focus issues.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=310&topic_id=8164&mesg_id=8164&page=

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Sat 05-May-12 05:09 AM
#12. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 05-May-12 05:13 AM by NenBikonian

Roswell, US

That might help. I still don't quite know that the OP's question has been clearly understood. If the goal is to have the AF point automatically follow the subject of original focus (whether said subject is static or in motion), then my points are valid and AF-S cannot accomplish this.

If the OP is having trouble getting the subject in focus when she is always placing the focus point on the subject, then that is a different matter entirely and one that might be solved someplace within the thread you referenced and might certainly be solved simply by sticking to the center focus point, in AF-S mode.

Since, however, the OP no longer seems to be participating, it seems it's just us...wasting our "breath" on a somewhat uninformed discussion. A fun discussion, for sure and one I'd love to learn the outcome of, but not entirely productive until we get clarity from the OP.

Cheers,
Ben

jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Sat 05-May-12 08:02 AM
#13. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 12

AU

>That might help. I still don't quite know that the OP's
>question has been clearly understood. If the goal is to have
>the AF point automatically follow the subject of original
>focus (whether said subject is static or in motion), then my
>points are valid and AF-S cannot accomplish this.
>
>If the OP is having trouble getting the subject in focus when
>she is always placing the focus point on the subject, then
>that is a different matter entirely and one that might
>be solved someplace within the thread you referenced and might
>certainly be solved simply by sticking to the center focus
>point, in AF-S mode.
>
>Since, however, the OP no longer seems to be participating, it
>seems it's just us...wasting our "breath" on a
>somewhat uninformed discussion. A fun discussion, for sure
>and one I'd love to learn the outcome of, but not entirely
>productive until we get clarity from the OP.
>
>Cheers,
>Ben

thank you so much for your help Ben, Havn't been to the computer today, and you have answered my question perfectly! I will play around with this and I dare say it will help emensly, muchly appreciated.. didn't waste your "breath"

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Sun 06-May-12 04:37 AM
#14. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 13

Roswell, US

So...I'm still curious which problem you're experiencing. If it is the auto-selection of AF points, know this: the automated method isn't perfect. It works on some subjects and doesn't on others. Test it yourself and see if it helps or hurts your shooting.

Cheers,
Ben

jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Sun 06-May-12 05:48 AM
#15. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 14

AU

>So...I'm still curious which problem you're experiencing.
>If it is the auto-selection of AF points, know this:
>the automated method isn't perfect. It works on some subjects
>and doesn't on others. Test it yourself and see if it helps
>or hurts your shooting.
>
>Cheers,
>Ben

When a model is close to say.. a wall or bushland, it tends to focus on the wall/bushland more even though as described above... and depending on angle, if i'm front on, it won't, but slighty to the left or right it will.... so odd and frustrating... the 15th may is my next outdoor shoot, i'll have to let you know how your setting scheme works then.

but when model is far away from the wall/bushland... it focuses the model...

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Sun 06-May-12 07:25 PM
#16. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 15

Roswell, US

Well, my first piece of advice is not to wait until the 15th to see if this works for you. Find a way to practice this beforehand and see whether it is a suitable solution.

However, I still don't have a good handle on your problem. When you say "front on", do you mean to say "when the subject is in the middle of the frame"? And, when you say, "it depends on the angle", do you mean that the performance of the AF system seems to depend upon where in the frame you place the subject?

Ben

jacqui1990 Registered since 13th Apr 2012Mon 07-May-12 01:08 AM
#17. "RE: In-camera settings for nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 16

AU

>Well, my first piece of advice is not to wait until the 15th
>to see if this works for you. Find a way to practice this
>beforehand and see whether it is a suitable solution.
>
>However, I still don't have a good handle on your problem.
>When you say "front on", do you mean to say
>"when the subject is in the middle of the frame"?
>And, when you say, "it depends on the angle", do you
>mean that the performance of the AF system seems to depend
>upon where in the frame you place the subject?
>
>Ben

Directly infront, as in I'm parallel with the model... can be center left or right, still does it... when I take a picture of the model on an angle... say model is furtherest right point, and I am tilting camera so model is close, background furtherest, sometimes works, but if I am a few steps back, not working.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5685 Previous topic | Next topic