Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5648
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't open NEFs in Photoshop" Previous topic | Next topic
Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Sat 07-Apr-12 09:55 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"

US

Can anyone tell me why I cannot open NEF raw photos in PS 4 or 3? I just tried to open my first NEF and it says 'Cannot complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.'

Yikes. PS either 3 or 4 opens NEFs from my D700 just fine.

Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
08th Apr 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
08th Apr 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
08th Apr 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
08th Apr 2012
blw Moderator
08th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
08th Apr 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
10th Apr 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Apr 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
10th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
14th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
17th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
17th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
17th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
17th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
17th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
17th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
17th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
17th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
18th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
18th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
18th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
18th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
18th Apr 2012
hemantmathur
18th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
19th Apr 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 08-Apr-12 12:08 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You need to update your Adobe raw converter.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 12:20 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks. But how? I checked for updates (check for updates) on my computer and got a list of needed updates but PS was not among them. I went to Photoshop specifically and there was no option for checking for updates. So, how do you update? I hope I do not have to buy PS 5. Is that what I have to do?

Thanks again.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 08-Apr-12 12:35 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Do you have a Windows or an Apple computer?

Len

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 12:36 AM
#4. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Apple/Mac.

MacBook Pro

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 08-Apr-12 12:50 AM
#5. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 08-Apr-12 12:55 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

The Camera Raw version that supports the Nikon D5100 requires CS5, unfortunately.

I had an earlier Apple non-Intel computer and had to install CS5 to support my D3X and D5100.

You can always install Nikon View which comes with the D5100 to view raw files.

I ended up needing to buy my Macbook Pro so I could install CS5 since it's not compatible with the G5 processor.

Len

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 12:53 AM
#6. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Damn. Ugh, wish I'd known.

So, if I install View NX or whatever it's called, I can view photos but that still won't get me to ACR and PS right?

Thank you.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 08-Apr-12 12:59 AM
#7. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

Right. With any new camera you'd need to upgrade eventually.

Len

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 01:08 AM
#8. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Ok thanks, so looks like I have to get PS5 at upgrade for $199.

There are a number of similar-sounding options on Adobe site (all with 5.5 in the name) but think the straightforward PS5 is the one I need.

Thanks a lot.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 08-Apr-12 03:57 AM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 8

Richmond, US

Just be aware that cs6 is imminent...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 12:45 PM
#10. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks.

Do you know if Adobe will let me upgrade from CS4 to CS6? I hope I don't wait for 6 and come to find I have to buy the entire thing at $700 or $800?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 10-Apr-12 02:27 AM
#12. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 10

Hatboro, Pa, US

>
>Thanks.
>
>Do you know if Adobe will let me upgrade from CS4 to CS6? I
>hope I don't wait for 6 and come to find I have to buy the
>entire thing at $700 or $800?

I upgraded from CS2 to CS3 to CS5. I'm hoping they keep the upgrade path going for CS6.

Len

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 10-Apr-12 03:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

You should keep an eye on Adobe's changes to their upgrade pricing strategy.

Adobe Will Only Offer Photoshop CS6 Upgrade Price to CS5 Owners

It might be best for some to upgrade to version 5 so they can get the upgrade price for version 6.

There is also a subscription pricing model. CS Subscription Editions

George
My Nikonian Galleries

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 09-Apr-12 03:26 PM
557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 9

Martinsville, US

This is a Tricky game if you upgrade to 5.5 at exactly the right time they usually will allow you to upgrade free. It has to be within 30 days of the release of the new version. Its very hard to time iI just right.

I had to pay almost full price to get the CS5 Web Package and because I happened to but it within 2 weeks of release of CS5.5 I got CS5.5 free. I only got the Web CS5 Package to upgrade from Macromedia's Studio 8. (To get DreamWeaver).

Adobe has a Strange policy. as long as you've bought an individual Package you can update to the individual application. The second you update to a Package though you can not revert to an individual Application. Had I been able to I would have only updated to Latest DreamWeaver version. I have tried PS though and enjoyed using some of the features.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Tue 10-Apr-12 12:01 PM
#13. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thank you.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Sat 14-Apr-12 03:18 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

>
>Can anyone tell me why I cannot open NEF raw photos in PS 4 or
>3? I just tried to open my first NEF and it says 'Cannot
>complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize
>this type of file.'
>
>Yikes. PS either 3 or 4 opens NEFs from my D700 just fine.
>
>Thank you.
>

I believe i can help you regarding this. You have 3 possible ways to go here:
1. Nikon d5100 requires ACR 6.4 to work which is only compatible with PS CS5 and later.

Download latest Adobe DNG convertor from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ for Mac or Windows and convert your raw files to DNG. DNG files with work with your PS CS3 or PS CS4.

2. You can upgrade to PS CS6 once its released from PS CS3 or PS CS4 but that offer will be valid till 31 dec this year only - http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

3. Buy PS CS5 after CS6 is announced and when CS6 is released call in to get free upgrade to CS6

Let me know if have any follow up queries.

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 04:12 PM
#16. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Thank you.

I just purchased and installed PS 5. I need to use the RAW photos from the D5100 so opted not to wait for PS 6. Plus I called Adobe and, as I was advised here, I can upgrade to 6 for free within 60 days since I just paid for 5. I was also told I could, with 5, open RAW files from D5100.

Installation complete. I CANNOT open RAW files from D5100. It says a message like can't open files......

According to last message here (thank you again) it says D5100 files need ACR 6.4 or better. My ACR, even with new PS5, is 6.3. Is that the problem? If so, can I upgrade ACR now, now that I have PS 5? Thanks. If not, I guess buying PS 5 was big waste of money and time.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 04:20 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 16

IN

In PS cs5 just click on help - updates. That will update your acr to 6.6. If it does not give you the acr6.6 update then download it from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ and install it.

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 04:40 PM
#18. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Ok yay success! Thank you.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 05:38 PM
#19. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 18

IN

Great it worked fine for you. If you are going to work with raw files mainly I'll suggest you to try lightroom as it provides a good workflow to manage and work on raw files and then take them in PS. Do a trial for 30 days to see if it fits your workflow

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 05:41 PM
#20. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 19

US

OK thanks, yes, I keep hearing good things about Lightroom. Should try. Didn't think about a trial.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 05:46 PM
#21. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 20

IN

Do give it a try. With lightroom 4 you get ACR 7 which will come with PS cs6. In fact if you want I can get you a testing version of PS cs6 also

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 07:13 PM
#22. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thanks. Very kind of you to offer. I am OK with PS 5 for now. More than I need. I do think I need to try Lightroom. Anything to help the workflow.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 09:42 PM
#23. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 22

IN

Try TV.adobe.com for free video tutorials or try WWW.Lynda.com for paid subscription. Lynda would be a better option

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Wed 18-Apr-12 12:38 AM
#24. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Thanks.

Now that I'm in PS5, a pesky xmp file keeps being created every time I open a NEF image. Then it parks itself right next to the NEF image in the image folder so I have all these xmp pages I do not want. What the heck? How can I stop this? Thanks.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Wed 18-Apr-12 02:52 AM
#25. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 24

IN

All editing done on raw files is stored on same named xmp file. It's not saved on the raw file itself. One way to avoid this is to use lightroom instead of ACR window to make changes as then the changes are stored in lightroom catalog and not in xmp files.

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Wed 18-Apr-12 12:34 PM
#26. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Thank you.

Except, the thing is, in PS4 and 3 these accompanying text files did not appear. I do think way back a few years ago I had this problem and I was able to figure out how to 'turn off' these xmp files from showing up. Could not figure it out this time.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Wed 18-Apr-12 01:54 PM
#27. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 26

IN

I'll have to check and get back on this as I don't have cs3 or cs4 with me right now but can you tell me the workflow you follow, like from where are you opening the files (bridge or finder or some other application) , if you are making any changes in ACR window or not and then if you take the file on PS cs5 how do you save it?

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Wed 18-Apr-12 02:50 PM
#28. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 27

US

Hi, thank you. Yes, I open the file in ACR. Make a few adjustments to contrast, exposure, WB, etc.... and then OPEN it and make a few more adjustments perhaps and then save as a jpeg. When I close the jpeg a .xmp text file now resides next to it (and all of them until I delete) in the folder. This happens even if I don't save as jpeg, even if I just open in ACR and immediately close again.

hemantmathur Registered since 14th Apr 2012Wed 18-Apr-12 11:28 PM
#29. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 28

IN

In ACR window top bar the third last icon is for open preferences dialog (ctr + k for windows). In there change save image setting in to "camera raw database" and click ok

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Thu 19-Apr-12 07:44 PM
#30. "RE: Can't open NEFs in Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 29

US

Thanks very much. I will try that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5648 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.