Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5630
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 movies and focusing" Previous topic | Next topic
Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Wed 04-Apr-12 05:08 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 movies and focusing"

US

Hi,

What focus mode should I use when shooting movies with D5100? How do I keep my subject(s) in focus when they are moving? Like my dog running on beach for example? If it's just an interview with someone in chair, OK, but how about when people (or dogs) are moving? Is it the Continuous focus option, same as Continuous focus option for stills? Or is there a special movie focus setting? Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 movies and focusing
DavidN4 Silver Member
04th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
04th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
05th Apr 2012
SandPatch
06th Apr 2012
rgsindc
06th Apr 2012
Porzellangasse
06th Apr 2012

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Wed 04-Apr-12 06:17 PM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 movies and focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

There are two options when you are in LiveView - AF-S, and AF-F. Depending one what lens I am shooting, and what movement is expected from the subject, that determines which I get the best results from.

If you are moving the camera around, you will probably get the best results from AF-F. If you are still, you may find AF-S works better. Consider your aperture selection also.

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Wed 04-Apr-12 06:20 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 movies and focusing"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you. But I don't see AF-F. My choices seem to be AF-A, AF-S, AF-C and Manual.

Where is AF-F found?

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Thu 05-Apr-12 10:17 PM
#3. "RE: D5100 movies and focusing"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Found AF-F. Thanks.

But the problem is that there is constant noise in background of the auto focus focusing and refocusing. This noise has to go.

Is there a way to turn off the sound of the auto focusing either while shooting or afterwards?

Thanks.

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Fri 06-Apr-12 12:40 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 movies and focusing"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Nikon offers an ME-1 mini-boom stereo microphone which works well for eliminating the focus noise. It clips in atop the flash shoe. You can omit all sound if you wish via the menu.

I need to experiment with the video features more, but when I'm outside I have a hard time seeing the screen with sun at my back.

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Fri 06-Apr-12 01:59 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 movies and focusing"
In response to Reply # 3

US

yes there is an option to change the sensitivity of the internal mic, but the real fix has been mention and that is an external mic.

It is under the camera menu....movie setting....microphone page 109 of the manual

Porzellangasse Registered since 16th Nov 2011Fri 06-Apr-12 02:05 AM
#6. "RE: D5100 movies and focusing"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank you.

I have bought an external mic - a Rode brand. Don't know yet if it's going to help with this. I hope so!

I will also try changing sensitivity of internal mic. Especially with the new external, that should help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5630 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.