Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5627
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hard Reset doesn't Reset Custom Data - Hard Reset Not..." Previous topic | Next topic
searchlight59 Registered since 01st Apr 2012Wed 04-Apr-12 03:27 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hard Reset doesn't Reset Custom Data - Hard Reset Not Working?"
Wed 04-Apr-12 03:31 AM by searchlight59

US

I own a used D5000.

I have been aclimating myself to its features and have loused up the settings a few times so to start from scratch, I wanted to completely reset the camera so I did a hard reset with the paper clip pressing the button in the SD card compartment, the 2 button reset, and a Custom Reset.

After doing all this, I set the camera to what I wanted, and went to my local park to take some test shots.

When I came home to download the images to my PC, lo and behold, the previous owner's name appeared under every shot that I took.

I did not know about the Image Comments option, so I called Nikon and the rep told me where to look in the menus, and that the previous owner placed his name there. I told him that irregardless, a Hard Reset should not only reset the camera but erase all custom settings, too. He agreed. He thought that maybe the clock battery is retaining the custom settings but if that were true, then the clock would not have to be reset.

Now I am wondering whether this camera will really ever be completely reset since it leaves data in the camera's memory. In previous DSLR's that I owned, a Hard Reset meant a complete reset of everything including custom data from memory.

I just did my tri-reset as a test, and it still left my name in Image Comments.

Is this normal? What do you think?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5627 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.