nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5624
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 with SB910" Previous topic | Next topic
Maxweb Registered since 03rd Apr 2012Tue 03-Apr-12 09:00 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 with SB910"

UK

Hi there folks , great forum

Quick question , basically I have a nikon D5100 , and want to use my nikon SB910 speed light NOT on top of my camera .

Im only using in for a touch of better pictures not for anything pro , just fun

So basically want the speed light to the side of my camera.

1) wireless options ? I got a bit lost in the area but would like a cheap solution if poss.

2) cable options .

Also is there any stands just so I can stick my flash on top ? Everything I search on the subject I just seem to get camera stands !

Kind regards

Max

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
03rd Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Apr 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
04th Apr 2012
Maxweb
05th Apr 2012
05th Apr 2012
Robbz
05th Apr 2012
06th Apr 2012
Robbz
07th Apr 2012
Maxweb
06th Apr 2012
06th Apr 2012
07th Apr 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 03-Apr-12 11:56 PM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You should have gotten a stand with your SB910. It also has a tripod socket so it can be mounted on a tripod. That's what I use. However the D5100 built in flash can't be used as a master so you'll need either a cord or wireless remote setup like the SU-800.

How far from the camera do you want the flash? The SC-28 cable will give you about 6 feet. It also has a tripod socket so you wouldn't need a stand. But the cable is tightly coiled and even though it can extend more then 6 feet I wouldn't trust it.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-Apr-12 01:50 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Max,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>1) wireless options ? I got a bit lost in the area but would
>like a cheap solution if poss.

A. Use Manual Flash Control: Set the built in Speedlight to Manual and the remote SB-910 to SU-4 (Optical Slave) mode and the flash from the built in Speedlight will trigger the SB-910 in sync with the shutter.
B. Use an RF trigger to fire the remote SB-910 set in Manual Flash Mode.
C. Buy a Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 and you will be able to take advantage of i-TTL RF Wireless Flash Control or Manual Flash Control.
D. Add an SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910 or SU-800 to your kit. Mount it in the cameras hotshoe set in Commander Mode to Control your Remote SB-910 in Remote Mode.

>2) cable options .
>
>Also is there any stands just so I can stick my flash on top ?
>Everything I search on the subject I just seem to get camera
>stands !

Your options are the SC-28, SC-29, or the discontinued SC-17 TTL extension cords.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 04-Apr-12 02:37 PM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here's what the SC-28 cable looks like connecting the D5100 and my SB800. It works fine.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Maxweb Registered since 03rd Apr 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 05:21 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Woooo , of all the places I've read I had to buy something !
My flash is now working
With it set to Remote, SU 4 and my Camera mode set to TTL or Manual which is brilliant thank you, my next question is , what is the point of me buying a cable Or remote unit ? Meaning would it be different in away as quality wise etc ?
And should I have my camera set to manual or TTL ?

Thanks for the flash stand advice as well , my sb910 came with a stand ( it was still in the box!) so ive put it on a spare tripod woooo

Regards

Max

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 05-Apr-12 06:01 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Max,

>My flash is now working
>With it set to Remote, SU 4 and my Camera mode set to TTL or
>Manual which is brilliant thank you,

Is SU-4 mode, the built in Speedlight must be set to Manual flash mode.
If the built in Speedlight is in TTL mode, the pre flash sequence will fire the remote SB-910 in SU-4 mode before the shutter opens. Unless you have the remote SB-910 set to a very low power level, it will not have enough time to recycle before the shutter opens and will not contribute to the exposure.
Note that when you are using Manual Flash mode, you should also have the camera set in Manual Exposure mode and Manual ISO as well since the camera will only meter for the ambient light.
If you use P, S, A, Auto, or one of the Pictogram modes without compensation, the images will be over exposed.

>my next question is ,
>what is the point of me buying a cable Or remote unit ?

A TTL extension cord will allow you to use i-TTL flash control as well as one of the auto exposure modes. The same is true for the Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5.
When using manual RF triggers, the same limitations apply.

>Meaning would it be different in away as quality wise etc ?

That depends on your skill. i-TTL flash control is very easy and quick to use without thinking too much about exposure. In Manual mode, you have 100% control of the exposure and image.

>And should I have my camera set to manual or TTL ?

As I wrote above, the built in Speedlight should be set to Manual flash mode with the camera in Manual exposure mode and manual ISO.

Best Regards,
Marty

Robbz Registered since 05th Apr 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 09:20 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Can I do that with the sb600?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 03:37 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Robert,

The SB-600 does not have SU-4 capability built into the flash unit.
To use SU-4 mode you will have to buy a Nikon SU-4 and mount the SB-600 in it's hotshoe and set the SB-600 to Manual flash mode. Then it will work as I discribed above.
When you get a few minutes, please fill in the Equipment tab in your User Profile. It will help us provide better answers to your questions. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Marty

Robbz Registered since 05th Apr 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 12:57 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Got it. Thanks. I'm just getting back to photograph , I thought I would start small, I wish I read the facts facts better on the the strobe, for a few mors $ I could have some cool options. I saw the post about the 900 as a master with the 600 slave, ....someday!

Robbz

Maxweb Registered since 03rd Apr 2012Fri 06-Apr-12 03:27 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 5

UK

Hi, thanks for the replys,

Ok , great advice from MEMcd , thanks

You were right , my shots were over exposing all the time

Im not good enough to know about the manual options of the flash,
and would rather let the i-TTL do all the work for me , so the wireless
route to go down would be your suggestion of

Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 (I understand that I would have to use both. = about £300.00 UK pounds which seems a lot of money as I only bought the SB910 for £315.00 pounds . It also seems a lot of money considering its only transmitting a wireless signal !

Ive seen lots of different wireless options on Ebay for around £30.00 pounds , can post links if im allowed. Is this an option for me ? or are they all cheap imports and dont send the signal fast enough ?

Many thanks again

Max

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 03:48 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Max,

You could also add another SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700 or SU-800 mounted in the cameras hotshoe set in Commander mode to wirelessly control your remote SB-910 set in Remote mode. This will allow you to take full advantage of wireless i-TTL flash control. A less expensive option would be to add an SB-600 as a remote and use your SB-910 in Commander mode on your camera or attached to the hotshoe via a TTL extension cord.
Another thing to keep in mind is the D90, D7000, and higher bodies have Commander mode included in their built in Speedlights.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 07-Apr-12 09:48 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon D5100 with SB910"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Max,

>Im not good enough to know about the manual options of the
>flash, and would rather let the i-TTL do all the work for me.

While using Manual settings on the fly takes quite a bit of knowledge and experience. That said, when you have a little time and a controlled setting using Manual settings is a lot easier than it sounds. With a little practice using trial and error and the cameras histogram, you should have no problem nailing the exposure.

>Ive seen lots of different wireless options on Ebay for around
>£30.00 pounds , can post links if im allowed. Is this an
>option for me ? or are they all cheap imports and dont send
>the signal fast enough ?

The inexpensive wireless trigger options that you refer to are Manual triggers that require using Manual flash control and Manual exposure control. While they will prevent other photographers using flash from triggering your Speedlight (in SU-4 mode) and will work much better outdoors, you must use Manual flash control.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5624 Previous topic | Next topic