Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D5000 - Image Review Delay

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
searchlight59 Registered since 01st Apr 2012
Sun 01-Apr-12 04:14 PM | edited Sun 01-Apr-12 08:50 PM by searchlight59

I recently acquired a used Nikon D5000 in mint condition, and everything works well except that I have now noticed that every time I take a photograph, and image review is on, there is a delay of a few seconds before the image appears on the screen.

In other words, I take the picture, the display lights but as a blank grey for a few seconds, and then the image appears. I have tried turning ADR off, and using different SD cards but with the same effect.

I have had other DSLR's in the past where the image view was virtually instantaneous.

Is this behavior normal for the D5000?

Two things I just noticed. If I remove the SD card, and shoot DEMO image, the image review is virtually instantaneous.

Secondly, if I reduce the image size from large to either Medium or Small, the Image Review is faster.

The interesting thing is that I am using a SanDisk Extreme SDHC card so I would have thought that the write speed would be faster for all size images but it seems that the write speed is predicated on the size of the JPEG Image as opposed to the type of card that I am using.

Do you agree?