Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5615
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000/D5100-Video?" Previous topic | Next topic
SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Sat 31-Mar-12 07:33 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000/D5100-Video?"

US

What are your opinions on the video on the D7000 and D5100? Is it worth it? Or would one be better off buying an actual video camera?
Does having a video option on the Nikon hinder what the camera can do?

(I took a 4 Dimensional Design class last semester and making videos is surprisingly fun! )

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000/D5100-Video?
Covey22 Moderator
31st Mar 2012
rgsindc
01st Apr 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Apr 2012
David D Busch Silver Member
24th Apr 2012
SandPatch
27th May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
27th May 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 31-Mar-12 08:30 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000/D5100-Video?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The draw of using a DSLR is the large sensor and the interchangeable lens system behind it.

However, the "conveniences" of Auto-focus and auto-exposure are better on dedicated videocameras then on DSLRs.

For consumer video purposes (not "film-making" as I recently debated with a member on this forum I'm sure others weigh in soon enough), a dedicated video camera is more cost and time-efficient in my opinion.

That's not to say you can't make good video with DSLRs. But it's a deliberate choice with some limitations that potential owners should explore more fully.

Having video capability doesn't inhibit the cameras still-capture in any way. In fact, one could argue that video was "bolted on" - witness the relative lack of integration and controls in the early models such as the D90 and the D300S.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Sun 01-Apr-12 02:20 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000/D5100-Video?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The 5100 shoots HD video and it is very high quality.....I find it best to shoot at a higher aperture where most everything is "in focus" and not have rely on the "auto focus".

Also invest in a separate microphone (they make them that fit on the "hot shoe") as the internal mic does pick up the camera and lens noises.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 04-Apr-12 03:21 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000/D5100-Video?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 04-Apr-12 03:22 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I like to shoot "Home Movies" HD1080P at 30fps so that rules out my D7000 for Video.
The pivoting LCD is extremely handy on the D5100.
You might also look at the V1. FullTime AutoFocus is very good,
but the ISO is limited to 3200 while the D5100 will go to 6400
There are lots of used D5100 cameras and kits in the buy sell forum including mine.
I do not need a 4th camera and the V1, D7000 (that my wife uses for Event Stills), and D800 share batteries and memory cards.
Again the V1 is tops for FullTime AutoFocus, but I have the D800 set at AutoISO 25,600

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Tue 24-Apr-12 04:36 AM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000/D5100-Video?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>What are your opinions on the video on the D7000 and D5100?
>Is it worth it? Or would one be better off buying an actual
>video camera?
>Does having a video option on the Nikon hinder what the camera
>can do?

Unless you're spending a whole lot of money on a video camera, or just want to point-and-shoot camcorder style, I like shooting video on a dSLR better. I've shot a bunch, including some concerts, with my D7000 and the ME-1 microphone, but only a little video with my wife's D5100, and the results are surprisingly good. The large sensor gives you a much better shot at using selective focus, which is such a basic tool for the average dSLR shooter that it's a natural extension to video.

Not needing to haul around an additional video camera is awesome, too. I tend to have a backup camera with me always, usually a Canon G1 X, which also has video and a largish sensor, so I have little need for a "real" video camera.

SandPatch Registered since 08th Jan 2012Sun 27-May-12 12:10 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000/D5100-Video?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 27-May-12 12:11 PM by SandPatch

US

I shot some video with my D5100 last weekend and found two factors that I wasn't aware of before. These aren't problems, but they are important I think.

First, you can't shoot video through the viewfinder, so you're dependent on the LCD screen. I find it hard to see the LCD screen in sunny daylight, so carefully crafting composition might be difficult.

Second, you'll want to buy an additional battery because videography depletes the battery at a faster rate than photography. The battery drain rate with video is not alarming, but it should be taken into account as you pack your gear for the day.

But, make no mistake -- the video quality is excellent and I was well pleased with the results. I'm glad to have this capability!

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 27-May-12 12:52 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000/D5100-Video?"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

For outdoor Video, you can use a hood to shade your LCD.
Some just use their body, hat or an umbrella.
I like the full hood made by CaVision, it also magnifies the image.

It is wise to shut the viewFinder so no light can get in to mess the metering up when using the LCD.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5615 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.