nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #560
View in linear mode

Subject: "Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4" Previous topic | Next topic
fetflex Registered since 08th Sep 2009Tue 08-Sep-09 11:06 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"

DK

Hi all.

I’m pretty new to Lightroom, so I have a quick question.

When I import picture from my Nikon D5000 in to lightroom (NEF) they get to dark when it has finished rendering. (Before rendering it looks good, good contrast)

Then I have read about that it’s because that Adobe has to guess the values the camera made. Is that still through?

If it can’t be fixed is it better to import the pictures through Nikons own program?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4
thosmm
08th Sep 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Sep 2009
fetflex
10th Sep 2009
adambrackman
14th Sep 2009
fetflex
22nd Sep 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd Sep 2009

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Tue 08-Sep-09 02:14 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

The NEF files are imported without the processing applied to JPG images. Lightroom has a number of ways to correct this.

1. White Balance
2. Auto Tone
3. Develop Settings
4. Auto Develop Settings

The first two are in the Library module. The second is the Develop module, and if you have a set of Develop setting that you want to use regularly, you can set them up as Auto Develop Settings in the Import dialog.

IIRC, Capture NX 2 can extract the metadata of the imbedded JPG and apply those settings to the raw image.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 08-Sep-09 02:53 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Actually the NEF has the in cameera settings as part ot the MakerNote section of the EXIF metadata in the NEF. The embedded JPEG has has these settings applied to the image before beint embedded.

One can open the NEF in Nikon ViewNX or Capture NX2 and have the camera setting applied to the NEF. Both programs have the ability to directrly transfer the processed NEF to as a TIFF to other editing programs by using the "Open With...'

George
My Nikonian Galleries

fetflex Registered since 08th Sep 2009Thu 10-Sep-09 11:57 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"
In response to Reply # 2

DK

Ok so the only way i can get the correct values is to import the pictures using NX?

adambrackman Registered since 06th Mar 2009Mon 14-Sep-09 10:50 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 14-Sep-09 10:51 PM by adambrackman

US

I had the same issue and it was always a letdown to see a well balanced image turn drab after processing and then trying to figure out how to get back there again.
Well, I found a way. Adobe released camera profiles that can be imported into lightroom and photoshop. It will recognize the camera you are using and only give you options applicable to your camera. I have found the "camera standard" option to most match what I say orginally.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

more details here:
http://blogs.oreilly.com/lightroom/2008/08/adobe-camera-profiles-and-ligh.html

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fetflex Registered since 08th Sep 2009Tue 22-Sep-09 06:42 PM
#5. "RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"
In response to Reply # 4

DK

I have tried it with the camera profiles, and it seems to be working great.

I will give it a go for some time.

Thx adambrackman for the tip

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 22-Sep-09 07:29 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Impoted pictures get to dark in Lightroom 2.4"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

You can open the NEF images in Veiw NX and let the Nikon software apply the camera settings. Then from the file menu you use 'Open with ...' to directly transfer a memory TIFF image to LightRoom or other appliction.

Adobe is working on an ACR/DNG profile editor and camera profiles. There are Beta, end user testing version, versions available through Adobe Labs.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #560 Previous topic | Next topic