Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5587
View in linear mode

Subject: "Unable to delete photos" Previous topic | Next topic
larlin Registered since 25th Mar 2012Sun 25-Mar-12 11:03 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Unable to delete photos"

US

Hi, I have had my D3100 for about a year with no issues. 
However, a couple of days ago I was experimenting with
settings and since then, I am unable to delete photos from my
camera.  Could I have done something to lock the camera up to
prevent me from deleting photos? Pls. help..
Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Unable to delete photos
aolander Silver Member
26th Mar 2012
larlin
26th Mar 2012
aolander Silver Member
26th Mar 2012
larlin
26th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
26th Mar 2012
kukui1967 Silver Member
26th Mar 2012
aolander Silver Member
26th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
26th Mar 2012
larlin
26th Mar 2012
larlin
26th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
26th Mar 2012
rgsindc
27th Mar 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 26-Mar-12 01:19 AM
3258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The switch on the memory card is in the locked position.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

larlin Registered since 25th Mar 2012Mon 26-Mar-12 02:04 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, perhaps a silly question, but how do I unlock it?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 26-Mar-12 02:18 AM
3258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 26-Mar-12 02:20 AM by aolander

Nevis, US

There is a very small switch on the edge of the card.

Check out this link:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1102/~/memory-card-is-write-protected-or-locked

Alan

larlin Registered since 25th Mar 2012Mon 26-Mar-12 12:34 PM
#6. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I tried steps 1 & 2, no luck...still can't delete.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 26-Mar-12 01:26 AM
10651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What happens when you try to delete a photo? Is an error message given?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

kukui1967 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Mon 26-Mar-12 04:05 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 2

US

When viewing the images stored in the memory card on my D5100, pressing the AE-L/AF-L button will lock the image currently on display. You can tell this by the key icon that is displayed on the screen when viewing that particular image. When this key icon is displayed, the image associated with it can not be erased, even when re-formatting the memory card using the camera.

Try putting your camera in image playback mode and see if the images have a key icon along the top. This would mean that they are locked. They can be unlocked by pressing the AE-L/AF-L button as each image is displayed.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 26-Mar-12 03:23 PM
#7. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 26-Mar-12 03:24 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

As Alan (kukui1967) mentioned, you may have "delete protected" your images. I'm not familiar with your camera, but on a D300 you have to press the "protect" button to protect an image from deletion. You would have had to protect all of them individually to protect the whole card from deletion, i.e. I know of no way to select them all for protection at once. Also, with a D300, formatting the card will delete the protected images.

Do you have another card you can try in the camera?

Alan

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 26-Mar-12 04:21 PM
10651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 7

US

It would really be helpful to know what the original poster is doing and what, if any, error messages they're getting...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

larlin Registered since 25th Mar 2012Mon 26-Mar-12 05:20 PM
#9. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I have tried all of the suggestions, then I just bought a new card. Took a couple of photos and tried to delete. No luck. I hit the AE-L button as well, still no luck.

larlin Registered since 25th Mar 2012Mon 26-Mar-12 05:21 PM
#10. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Also, there is no error message given. Just stays frozen. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far...it's really getting frustrating. :-/

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 26-Mar-12 06:54 PM
#11. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 26-Mar-12 08:10 PM by Covey22

US

When you say frozen, is the camera itself not usable? Do any of the controls work or respond? What have you done to restore operation? Pulled the battery or...?

Edited to add: Try reformatting the memory cards in the camera. Does it work? If so, take some photos. Try and delete now. Results?

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Tue 27-Mar-12 12:47 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Unable to delete photos"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try taking the card out and placing it in a usb reader and installing it in your computer.......try deleting....that should separate the problem between the camera or the card.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5587 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.