Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5576
View in linear mode

Subject: "VR question" Previous topic | Next topic
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Tue 20-Mar-12 01:18 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"VR question"

pinellas park, US

I very seldom use VR, and the times I have it has been hand held. (D5100, 55-200) The other day 5100 and lens were mounted on my tripod, and I went to VR. I noticed that when I held the shutter release halfway down (focus) the image in the viewfinder shifted vertically a small amount, when released ( not taking the shot) it went back to original. I then tried this with my 18-55 and it did the same thing. I could also hear the glass element (I am guessing ) make a noise during this process.

SO, my question is, is this the normal function of the VR system?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kukui1967 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Tue 20-Mar-12 02:44 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: VR question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Not sure if this is normal VR behavior, but I do know that when the camera is mounted on a tripod and sitting on stable platform (i.e., solid ground), it is recommended that VR should be turned off. This prevents VR from looking and trying to compensate for camera movement that is not there.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-Mar-12 06:29 PM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: VR question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Wayne,

Yes, it is normal for the image in the viewfinder to shift when VR engages and disengages. That said, as Alan wrote above VR should not be used when the camera is mounted on a tripod with the exception of a few of the super-Telephotos that have VR with tripod mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011Wed 21-Mar-12 01:42 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: VR question"
In response to Reply # 2

pinellas park, US

Thank you for the replies. I understand VR on tripod, but getting to know the ins and outs of my "gear" (proper nomenclature) I am practicing all I have. And the shoot aforementioned was not on the most stable platform, so I feel much more comfortable with the response. THANK You !!! Everything I have read here at at Nikonions is practice, learn and practice......already got awards for my shots, thanks to all of you. I have to ask questions when I do not know the answers, so please continue to help...thanks

alexmottram Registered since 23rd Mar 2012Sat 24-Mar-12 02:34 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "VR question: same thing happens on my lens..."
In response to Reply # 0

CA

In recent days I've been going through the same situation with my 18-55 mm VR lens. The only difference between my experience and yours is that what you have described happens in my lens without using a tripod. I'm glad I've finally found someone here describing very clearly the same behaviour in my lens... As far as I know (according to other users on the internet) it is a lens' normal behaviour; depending on the copy the movement/sound in the lens is more/less notorious.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5576 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.