Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #553
View in linear mode

Subject: "Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?" Previous topic | Next topic
William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 06-Sep-09 05:54 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"

Bogor, ID

Am I thinking straight - I am a D300 user and I still have my old D200 as my back-up camera and was thinking I could more or less trade it for a D5000 - which has video and would be a great lightweight back-up camera?

All advice welcome....

Life and light wait for no man!

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
06th Sep 2009
William Symonds
06th Sep 2009
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
06th Sep 2009
thosmm
06th Sep 2009
RWCooper Silver Member
07th Sep 2009
William Symonds
07th Sep 2009
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Sep 2009
William Symonds
17th Sep 2009
William Symonds
22nd Nov 2009
Ramesses
18th Sep 2009
William Symonds
18th Sep 2009
Ramesses
18th Sep 2009
William Symonds
18th Sep 2009
Ramesses
19th Sep 2009
William Symonds
19th Sep 2009
slothead Gold Member
16th Oct 2009
Ramesses
16th Oct 2009
                                   Reply message Hektor
markpsf Silver Member
17th Oct 2009

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 06-Sep-09 03:34 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Will,

I have not looked seriously at the D5000 but it seems to me you are trading some new technology and probably better low light performance for the convenience of two bodies that have 95% similar controls, menu settings, and general handling.

Tough trade-off. If you shoot both bodies at the same time it might drive you nuts, like happened to me when I was shooting a D70 and D2H. Just something to consider.

Nikonians Team
My Gallery

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 06-Sep-09 03:46 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Bogor, ID

Neil

Thanks - sage advice as ever. I had sort of come to that conclusion over the afternoon. Once you've used a D200/300 there would be much to miss on a lower spec body. Additionally the batteries and lenses would be largely incompatible.

I am not ready to let the D200 go just yet. I still prefer the skin tones to those of the D300.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 06-Sep-09 04:20 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

And cards (SD verses CF). The D300s has an interesting solution to this

Just the battery issue for me... I need AA's, ENEL-3's and EN-EL4's to run my cameras and flashes. I need to carry a bag full of chargers with me wherever I go

Nikonians Team
My Gallery

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Sun 06-Sep-09 06:29 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

With my experience with the D5000 so far, I would probably suggest that you wait a year before picking up any newly released Nikon equipment.

That way they can work out with us poor /suckers/ customers the things they should have fixed in the design, engineering and quality control phases.

I really like my D5000, and I want it right. I see glimmers of brilliance with the camera. Unfortunately, it's now spent nearly 10% of its life at Nikon instead of in my hands.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Mon 07-Sep-09 12:15 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

I have the D200 and D300 bodies and I can't imagine trading my D200 for a D5000. There are just too many things about the D200 I would miss, especially the DOF preview and front command wheel.

Randy

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 07-Sep-09 12:22 AM
#6. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Bogor, ID

Randy

The D200 is safe.

Probably a good job I didn't put this question in the D200 forum!

W i l l
www.willsymonds.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 17-Sep-09 04:17 AM
4442 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

Had the D3000 been spec'ed to include the 12 megapixel DX CMOS sensor I probably would have jumped for one for my younger daughter. I know from personal D200 experience the 10 megapixel CCD sensor is a great one for people and lower ISO, but it doesn't make as good an all-around sensor as the CMOS one for my usage.

Attraction of these smaller cameras for me is a comparatively very small form factor (I would jump for an 18-55VR to go with) for times when I don't want to carry Dnnn series. Therefore a D5000 makes a good alternative camera when you are going to carry one smaller camera (although it is not as small as a D3000). But not so great as a second camera to a D300 for the reasons Neil cites. So depends what usage you intend to make of the D5000. If you could sell D200 buy D5000 for nearly a wash, I might be inclined to say jump for it for sensor reasons and sacrifice the control differences.

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 17-Sep-09 09:28 AM
#8. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bogor, ID

Steve

Having mastered the D300 a little more over the last few days I am moving that way.

But even the D500 is not that small.. I am kind of holding out for a Nikon micro APS PEN like camera a while longer though...

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 22-Nov-09 11:28 AM
#18. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 24-Nov-09 01:57 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I did it!

The D5000 is wonderful for travelling and gets to places the Dx00's don't get to eg Sri Lanka on business where I am now.

Great to use and I love the flip screen. It's a terrific camera! The kit lens should not be underestimated either.

Here are the first shots.............(see the two Sri Lanka posts)

www.willsymonds.blogspot.com

and these are two of my favourites - the little lens with VR was perfect for the motion blur in the second shot! Arguably a faster lens without VR would have struggled.

They were taken on a trip to a Colombo beachfront restaurant - even had I had the D300(or D200) with me it would have almost certainly stayed in my hotel room.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 18-Sep-09 09:28 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Sep-09 09:29 AM by Ramesses

US

Hi Will:

As you know from another forum and thread, I am in the same boat. Three times, I took everything out and set everything to take pictures of the D300 to put it up for sale; three times I changed my mind.

I really like the D5000 and it is the camera I would get. DXO Mark, a division of DXO Labs, ranked the D5000 #16, just behind the D90 (#15) and ahead of the D300 (#21.)

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/Camera-rankings

I do not how reliable those rankings are, but we can conclude that the D5000 is a pretty good camera. In other words, you cannot go wrong with it. However, this D5000 I would get through my local dealer. As soon as I unbox it, I walk over to their computer and check the serial Number with Nikon to verify it is not on their recall list.

Here is my situation. I have the D700 and D300. My ten lenses are all FX except for three DX lenses: 10.5 Fisheye, 16-85 VR, and 55-200 VR. Most of the times, when going out on a shoot, I opt for the D700. Therefore, what does the D300 gain me? I’m also getting fed up with all the weight I’m carrying. One viable alternative is to go light. Therefore, I would use the D5000 as the light alternative, walk-around camera, and street photography (If I get the D5000, I would also get the DX 35mm f/1.8 – light - and wait for the DX 24mm f/1.8, maybe.) All other type of shooting, the D700 with the one ton lenses.

It makes lots of sense to me; I just cannot pull the trigger. However, if I did not have the D700, the D5000 would not be an option.

Best Regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 18-Sep-09 01:52 PM
#10. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 9

Bogor, ID

Ramesses

The D5000 is a great little camera. I picked one up today and it is barely any bigger than the D3000. It is probably the bargain in the Nikon line-up!

Still tempted but what I really want is a Micro APS body - I have a feeling that one will emerge soon.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 18-Sep-09 05:04 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Will:

Congrats on your new D5000; it is a very nice camera. Keep me posted on how you like it, especially compared to the D300. BTW, the quiet mode is activated through the release screen – it is a Q in a square, but I’m sure you know already.

The X1 and the rumored Nikon counterpart compete, imho, with my D-Lux 4 and not the D5000. They are bit too small for my taste. It is amazing that they put an APS-C sensor in such small body. It all depends on portability, for me. It is the type of camera that I have with all the time.

Congrats again,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 18-Sep-09 11:32 PM
#12. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Bogor, ID

Ramesses

Silly me - wrong choice of words - I meant literally that I picked it up! I put it down again.. sorry for confusion. But I am still quite tempted - I could pretty much swop the D200 for it...

But a D200 /D300with a 35mm lens is still not any bigger than a D500 with a zoom. When I want small I go prime. the D500 would not AF with my primes.

I did "pick up" a great Billingham Packington bag though! It is great and will double as a business case for overseas trips to more photogenic locations so I can take my D300 with me on the plane. I am going to Sri Lanka on Tuesday.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Sat 19-Sep-09 01:29 AM
#13. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 19-Sep-09 01:36 AM by Ramesses

US

Hi Will:

Thanks for not getting the D5000; you almost pushed me over the edge. You are right. Every time I get ready to take photos of the D300 and hold the camera without a lens, I desist because it is not thaaaaat heavy.

Going to Sri Lanka on business or pleasure? I have friends from Sri Lanka and it seems to be very nice. They keep telling, besides Colombo, that Kandy is the place to go. It is the ancient capital during the times of the Kings. Most of the irrigation works that dates 2 – 3 thousand years ago, are still in use today. Amazing! Yes, the beaches – they are supposed to be better than the Caribbean ones. One more thing. Do not forget to have some tea there

Good luck in your trip and enjoy it.

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 19-Sep-09 01:50 AM
#14. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 13

Bogor, ID

Hektor

Sri Lanka is stunning and lost in a 1970s time warp - I love going there. Despite its proximity to India it is essentially a South east Asian country....

Business - primarily. I hope to get to Kandy on the Sunday - the trip is long overdue.

I will bring back as much tea as I can fit in my suitcase.

I was thinking of taking the 12-24mm and a couple of primes - 35mm and 85mm maybe.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 16-Oct-09 01:49 AM
1585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 14

Frederick, US

Hektor,
If we lived closer, I would be tempted to suggest a trial trade, but you are just way too far away!

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 16-Oct-09 09:32 AM
#16. "RE: Trade my back-up D200 for a D5000?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Hi Tom:

Sorry, but just saw your response.

I already sold the D300 and got the D5K + the DX 35mm f/1.8 and some other goodies. I could not be happier with the D5000.

Best regards,

Hektor

PS: I do have the D700, though. Otherwise, I would still have the D300 and no D5000.

A Nikonian in Kemet

markpsf Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2006Sat 17-Oct-09 08:23 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "Hektor"
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 17-Oct-09 08:25 PM by markpsf

Woodacre, US

Love your blog!

You're reading my mind and it's eeirie.

I gave up dreams of an M9 when I realized bank robbery around here is too risky.

I have the D90 and a Panasonic GH1.

I want something in between just for street shooting.

I'd appreciate a dialogue with you off forum about the D5000 and street shooting (long history in street shooting going way back to being chased by a street vendor in NY when I was 13 and wandering around with the Voigtlander my uncle gave me!)

Viewfinder...autofocus speed....lag on live view....

The quiet shutter and lower weight are the draws but I'm still undecided.

Please e-mail me if willing at markpsf@mac.com

I'm in the San Francisco Bay are near Pt. Reyes.

Grazzi.

Mark

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #553 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.