Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #550
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 on vacation" Previous topic | Next topic
TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sat 05-Sep-09 03:18 PM
2320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 on vacation"

Bay Area, US

I had posted here last month that I wasn't too impressed with the D5000, in terms of being an upgrade over the D40. Well my wife got one anyway. Of course she does not listen to me

We took it along on our trip down highway 1 earlier this week, and results are actually very nice. As with any camera, it took a little time and effort to adjust it to get the best use out of it. We have really come to enjoy the many new features, i.e. the automatic correction for CA does help. Exposure appears to be more reliable than with the D40. Also, after some practice, videos from the D5000 are very nice, too, and this was one of the things that sold my wife on this camera. Only trouble is, she is now eying a D90 which would have the same features and video but improved controls. Oh well, we will see how long the D5000 will live in our family

Anyway, here are some examples from our trip.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 on vacation
cvirgilio
10th Sep 2009
TomCurious
10th Sep 2009
Ramesses
27th Sep 2009
Floridian Silver Member
27th Sep 2009
Ramesses
28th Sep 2009
briantilley Moderator
29th Sep 2009
Ramesses
29th Sep 2009

cvirgilio Registered since 13th May 2006Thu 10-Sep-09 12:18 AM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,
Those look pretty nice. I've been checking the forums frequently to see real-life photos from some of the entry-levelish Nikons, and not finding much so it's good to finally see something. I was wondering which lens your wife used with these, particularly the first two as they have a well-blurred background?

By the way, has anyone ever told you that little boy looks just a little bit like you?

Thanks for posting them,
Colleen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 10-Sep-09 11:53 PM
2320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 1

Bay Area, US

>By the way, has anyone ever told you that little boy looks
>just a little bit like you?

Thanks Colleen! He actually comes more after my wife, but of course I'm in there, too

The photos 1 and 3 were both taken with the 35mm f/1.8 lens. The first one at f/3.5 and a short subject distance, hence the out of focus background. The 3rd picture at f/11 to get everything into focus. The seagull was taken with the 55-200mm lens.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Sun 27-Sep-09 07:04 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Sep-09 01:57 AM by Ramesses

US

Hi Tom:

Well, I did sell the D300 and got the D5000 + the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 lens. I wrote in My Blog the more detailed reasons for it.

It became a very hard decision, because the reaction of people, in my local dealer, that thought the I was either mad or a moron for trading the D300 for the D5000. However, I’m very happy with the D5000, which exceeded my expectations. One thing about the camera is that it has a tendency to underexpose the images when shooting backlit or high contrast photos. I have only used the camera in “Aperture Priority” mode. Today, I’m taking the D5000 and the Nikon DX 35mm f/1.8 to the Redondo Beach Pier. I will use more the “Scene Modes.” However, it is very simple to recover the shadows. The D40, on the other hand, had a tendency to overexpose, which made it almost impossible to recover the clipped highlights.

I believe that it is a question of taste. I love darker photos. Therefore, the D5000 is better for me than the D40, in that respect. I was surprised how clean the camera is in interiors shots. I think it is cleaner than the D300.

The following link is to the first photos I took with the D5000 and the 16-85 VR, in Downtown Los Angeles, yesterday. I went there at the wrong time. They had the Red Bull Box Car Rally and it was a sea of humanity. Forget about street photos – just concentrated in architecture and shooting up The other problem was that they had a lot of the streets blocked to traffic. In other words, road signs, utility trucks, and security people everywhere. These things ruined any possibility of getting good street photos.

My first photos with the D5000: http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Souther-California/Los-Angeles/LAC-The-Historic-Core/9771783_Vm7DA/1/662491632_eMiWE

Best Regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sun 27-Sep-09 09:47 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 3

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... thought the I was either mad
>or a moron for trading the D300 for the D5000...

I have a D300 that I wouldn't consider trading for a D5000, Hektor, but I do see the attraction of a smaller and lighter camera. I'd consider adding one for those occasions when I don't want to lug around a heavier camera. The bottom line is, the quality of the images will be the same with either camera, so in that regard the D5000 isn't a step down.

Randy

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Mon 28-Sep-09 01:48 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 29-Sep-09 04:33 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi Randy:

Thanks for your response. I agree with you about the D5000 and I’m very happy with it and the DX 35mm f/1.8. However, I do have the D700 which made the whole thing that much easier. Without the latter, I would have sold the D300.

Today, I took the D5000 and the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 for a test drive to the Redondo Beach Pier, about 15 min from my home. When I left the house, it was sunny; the beach area was yucky – low clouds. How bad was it? Exactly like the photo bellow – the picture does not lie:

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/500/DSC_01947.jpg.

They did have an antique car show, on the pier, with over 100 old cars. Therefore, I decided to take photos of the cars, instead. However, I took them knowing that they were also going to be yucky, just like the weather – nothing better to do. The problem is that they all came out just like the ones bellow – 190 of them:

Both pictures have no post-processing. I really do not know what to do since I’m not going to discard them and selecting them is going to be very tedious. What? Keep 190 photos of old cars?

One thing is for certain, today I’m registering the D5000 and AF-S DX 50mm f/1.8.

Best Regards,

Hektor

PS: Here are my photos of the Antique Auto Show - http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Events/Redondo-Pier-Antique-Cars/9786988_t5r6z/1/663926164_axyC9

A Nikonian in Kemet

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 29-Sep-09 05:40 PM
28855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

>One thing is for certain, today I’m registering the D5000 and
>AF-S DX 50mm f/1.8.

Or perhaps the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Tue 29-Sep-09 05:44 PM
#7. "RE: D5000 on vacation"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 29-Sep-09 05:54 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi Brian:

You are right. I meant the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8. There is no AF-S DX 50mm f/1.8. There is an AF-D 50mm f/1.8, but I do not have that one.

Hektor

PS: I tell you something. I was testing the DX 35mm, but got caught with the wrong lens, because of the people. Due to the effective focal length of ~ 52mm, I had to step back and everyone was getting in front. I was just lucky to get the photos I did – forget about framing. There was this lady, obviously an amateur photographer with a Canon system that was taking close-up photos. I had no idea how get away from her. She saw me taking photos and she used to step in front of me for her work, all the time.

A Nikonian in Kemet

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #550 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.