Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5485
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice on Lens for D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
jadayu2005 Registered since 07th Mar 2012Wed 07-Mar-12 03:00 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advice on Lens for D3100"

Kuala Lumpur, MY

Im been using DSLR for the past 1 year and have enjoyed it with the standard kit 18-55mm.

Now Im looking at getting a new lens for my self. As my interest is on nature photograpy like waterwalls, landscapes (not extreme), animals (not wildlife but in Zoo), Flowers, CLose ups

Need advise on the lens I need to choose, preferbably nikon and sigma.

As an amateur would like to go for not-so-expensive lens...

I have checked on (35mm/50mm 1.8) for scenic/flowers and also (55-200mm/55-300mm - for closeups

advise if this okey or any other suggestion

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advice on Lens for D3100
pjonesCET Gold Member
07th Mar 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
08th Mar 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Mar 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
09th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
08th Mar 2012
jadayu2005
09th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Mar 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
11th Mar 2012
jadayu2005
09th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
09th Mar 2012
jadayu2005
09th Mar 2012
rodcarv
15th Mar 2012

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 07-Mar-12 11:39 PM
547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 08-Mar-12 12:51 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I have the 35mm f1.8 DX Lens
the 18-55mm DX VR lens
And the 55-200MM DX VR lens

You do know that the 18-55mm is combo Macro telephoto lens.

if you work the the lens, you will notice that when you adjust the lens it will increase to maximum (Telephoto) when you reverse it, it will close up then will open up again. That is the macro setting.

the 35mm is good for wide angle shots. note: this is not a VR lens and in low light situation using Aperture Priority you absolutely need a Tripod. As it does not have Vibration control. A 19 or 20 year old might can hand hold and make pictures. After you get 63 you absolutely need VR control.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Thu 08-Mar-12 01:36 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

Johns Creek, US

I have all three of these lenses also, and they make up my light-weight DX travel set.

The Nikon 18-55mm DX VR that comes with the kit is not a macro lens. Nikon uses Micro on its macro lenses. There are the lenses that Nikon lists as macro lenses.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/CloseUp-Macro/index.page

The 35mm f/1.8 is an excellent low-light lens, and can easily be shot handheld - musch easier than a slower lens that does have VR - liek the 55-200mm DX VR. Ramp up the ISO, and open the aperture, and that will reduce the amount of time that the shutter needs to be open.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 09-Mar-12 03:08 AM
547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

with The 18-55mm I was able to take extremely close up pictures (like a Macro lens) of some flowers. see my Gallery in the album Flowers notice the Rose and Peony Blooms it was taken at the 18mm setting.

Can you explain the reason as you go from 55mm down to 18mm there is a point stops closing up and starts expanding again?

I'll try the upping the ISO with the 35mm.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Fri 09-Mar-12 01:41 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

Johns Creek, US

I am not a lens designer. Nikon would be better at explaining why they choose that method to align the internal lens elements and groups.

I can tell you that the 18-55mm VR DX lens has a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.31x, while a 40mm or 60mm macro has a 1:1 reproduction ratio. True macro lenses support 1:1 at minimum.
Minimum focus distance on a 18-55mm VR DX is 0.9 ft. (0.28m), while the 40mm is 0.53 ft. (0.163m), and the 0.60 ft. (0.185m).

None of the Nikon Micro lenses are zooms.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/CloseUp-Macro/index.page

More on macro lenses: http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Nikon-Camera-Technology/gnhy8b3m/1/Macro-Lenses.html?icid=promo-tech-NIKKOR-Macro

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 08-Mar-12 01:06 PM
10578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Pick either the 35 or the 50 but make sure the 50 is G series otherwise it won't autofocus.

As for the 55-200, that's a good general telephoto. You could pick up a set of diopter lenses to make it a pseudo macro. Otherwise you'll have to pony up to something like the 40mm DX micro (equivalent 60mm) for a dedicated close up lens.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jadayu2005 Registered since 07th Mar 2012Fri 09-Mar-12 11:40 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

Kuala Lumpur, MY

Thanks for all the advice..

So far I enjoyed the 18-55mm lens as its has the good sharpness for all the close up shots. I will say it will work best with Raynox250 (havent tried yet but believe so)

I have choosen to go for 50mm 1.8G instead of 35mm 1.8G as I been informed the 50mm works best in low light.

for zoom - im still confused whthr to go for 55-300mm or 55-200mm (Vr is a must for me even im not 63 yet...). Price is similar but in terms of perfomance...besides the extra 100mm...

and I dont go for 70-300mm vr as i guess i dont need the super fast autofocus as i dont go for action shots ( besides the reason its expensive )

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 09-Mar-12 08:34 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Shashidharan,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>I have choosen to go for 50mm 1.8G instead of 35mm 1.8G as I
>been informed the 50mm works best in low light.

They are both f/1.8 primes and work equally well in low light.
The 50mm will provide a little more reach and is a better portrait lens.

>for zoom - im still confused whthr to go for 55-300mm or
>55-200mm (Vr is a must for me even im not 63 yet...). Price is
>similar but in terms of perfomance...besides the extra
>100mm...

The extra 100mm gives the 55-300mm a lot more reach than the 55-200mm.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 11-Mar-12 03:45 AM
2986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

McEwen, US

Get the 55-300. If you don't ever use the extra reach, that's OK because the lens is not huge. But if you want it you will have it.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

jadayu2005 Registered since 07th Mar 2012Fri 09-Mar-12 11:50 AM
#6. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

Kuala Lumpur, MY

>Pick either the 35 or the 50 but make sure the 50 is G series
>otherwise it won't autofocus.
>
>As for the 55-200, that's a good general telephoto. You could
>pick up a set of diopter lenses to make it a pseudo macro.
>Otherwise you'll have to pony up to something like the 40mm DX
>micro (equivalent 60mm) for a dedicated close up lens.
>
>
diopter lenses ? Please explain

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 09-Mar-12 01:17 PM
10578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 6

US

All lenses have a minimum focus distance - inside of this distance, subjects will not be in focus no matter what. Diopter lenses allow you to focus *inside* that distance, allowing you to get closer to the subject (i.e., flower, coin, etc). Stacking multiple diopters gets you varying strengths - see this page for examples.

http://www.toledo-bend.us/index.asp?diopter

It's best to be on a tripod of some sort for this to work optimally.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jadayu2005 Registered since 07th Mar 2012Fri 09-Mar-12 01:52 PM
#9. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 7

Kuala Lumpur, MY

>All lenses have a minimum focus distance - inside of this
>distance, subjects will not be in focus no matter what.
>Diopter lenses allow you to focus *inside* that distance,
>allowing you to get closer to the subject (i.e., flower, coin,
>etc). Stacking multiple diopters gets you varying strengths -
>see this page for examples.
>
>http://www.toledo-bend.us/index.asp?diopter
>
>
>It's best to be on a tripod of some sort for this to work
>optimally.

I used to reconize it as close uo filters - now i know the real names.. thanks.. and well explanation on the link...

rodcarv Registered since 15th Feb 2012Thu 15-Mar-12 11:48 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Advice on Lens for D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

BR

18-200mm would fit great for ya.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5485 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.